Going to wife's company holiday party tonight...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Mix .. you can see some of Bob's work here: Proformance Special Events Photo Gallery
I am going to look at it but it's not the same. I wanted Bob to do it and not you. He's always flapping his gums bragging on the work he's done and how much he gets paid. Then he puts down those who are not at his level. If he is even at the level he claims to be at.

Taso and Bob Carpenter are 2 that I highly respect. They are on the top tier and have evidence to show people why they are worth what they charge. Not having to cave in because someone around the corner is coming looking for a DJ and is willing to pay the price they want.

I am going to look at it but it's not the same. I wanted Bob to do it and not you. He's always flapping his gums bragging on the work he's done and how much he gets paid. Then he puts down those who are not at his level. If he is even at the level he claims to be at.

Taso and Bob Carpenter are 2 that I highly respect. They are on the top tier and have evidence to show people why they are worth what they charge. Not having to cave in because someone around the corner is coming looking for a DJ and is willing to pay the price they want.
It's there . Bob didn't hide it. Not sure he owes you references or performances. You can find him on LikedIn (with reviews). You may not like his delivery, but he certainly has knowledge .. more than most.

Proformance is the real deal. So are Taso and Bobby Carpenter. What Proformance is doing goes beyond what most of us do here and is a much larger scale. Proformance is more often an event manager than an entertainer

Reactions: SEDJ and djtaso
A folks way to put what pro is saying is

You tend to swim in the pond you build meaning you tend to keep getting the same type of clients unless you are willing to venture outside of your comfort zone we all like Ricky but it’s pretty obvious he is comfortable where he is at and does want to put in the time/effort it takes to move to a different level of success as are many of the rest of us myself included

Reactions: SEDJ
A folks way to put what pro is saying is

You tend to swim in the pond you build meaning you tend to keep getting the same type of clients unless you are willing to venture outside of your comfort zone we all like Ricky but it’s pretty obvious he is comfortable where he is at and does want to put in the time/effort it takes to move to a different level of success as are many of the rest of us myself included
To be fair, despite my pursuit for higher than avg paying clients, it's not to say that "success" can't be had at a different level similar to what say ricky's got now. But it does require a COMPLETELY different approach. There is a dj who does rather well around here in his 40's, and does primarily lower priced events by NJ standards (about $1500 less than I charge on avg). He does this full time, makes a decent living it seems, etc. One big difference between someone like him and say someone like me... I DJ 65-70ish events a year... he's out djing 4-6 nights a week between private events, corp events, and local bars. Who makes more after expenses... I have no idea. However, he is working WAYYYY more physically than I am, and has to spend a lot more on marketing than I do to get himself noticed by enough clients to fill his calendar at the prices he charges. He's made it work with his approach though and I suppose in the end that's all that's mattered for him.

To be fair, despite my pursuit for higher than avg paying clients, it's not to say that "success" can't be had at a different level similar to what say ricky's got now. But it does require a COMPLETELY different approach. There is a dj who does rather well around here in his 40's, and does primarily lower priced events by NJ standards (about $1500 less than I charge on avg). He does this full time, makes a decent living it seems, etc. One big difference between someone like him and say someone like me... I DJ 65-70ish events a year... he's out djing 4-6 nights a week between private events, corp events, and local bars. Who makes more after expenses... I have no idea. However, he is working WAYYYY more physically than I am, and has to spend a lot more on marketing than I do to get himself noticed by enough clients to fill his calendar at the prices he charges. He's made it work with his approach though and I suppose in the end that's all that's mattered for him.
I was that guy for 30 years working a full time job and doing events 5-6 days a week

I graduated when I was 17 half a year early and yea I should have said nearly 30 years I had steady bar gigs Tuesday thru Sunday nights it was the eighties/nineties the bars were busy would usually work a day job from 8-5 catch a nap then work a Bar gig from 10-2 had my gear installed in most places I played I made a lot and didn’t have much time to spend it

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Proformance is the real deal. So are Taso and Bobby Carpenter. What Proformance is doing goes beyond what most of us do here and is a much larger scale. Proformance is more often an event manager than an entertainer
Bob often has a lot of wisdom. If he could just figure out how to make his point without often coming off as very disrespectful, more people would listen to him. He seems to believe that giving even a little respect to someone he disagrees with is "coddling". Offering a opposite point a view while being respectful is something he struggles with mightily. It's like he sees that as a sign of weakness. Ironically, I believe many see his inability to have a professional discussion here on a regular basis as his BIGGEST WEAKNESS. That's why many threads he's involved in explode as people "strike back" after he's insulted them and it goes on and on..... Often going way off the topic. I've been sucked in many times.
As a result, instead of getting respect for his Dj and technical wisdom, many write him off as an internet troll who loves to talk tough behind a computer.

Bob often has a lot of wisdom...

OFTEN???[emoji1]... I guess that depends on your definition of "often". WISDOM???... Again, I find little "wisdom" in his posts. KNOWLEDGE... Yes, on some topics, but not much you can't find by Googling it yourself. At other times he makes up crap that's just wrong, and then tries to argue that he's right until you give up.[emoji1] Most of his posts are simply criticisms of the OP, and offer no substantive advice... they're just intended to "push people's buttons" and get a response so he can continue his insults. I think whoever posted that he's not an entertainer fails to see the entertainment value in what he posts here. I laugh at nearly all of them![emoji1]

I'm pretty sure he has a mental disorder that compels him to behave the way he does, otherwise he'd alter his approach a little in order to garner some acceptance from the participants. But he's stated many times he's not interested in making friends here. Which begs the question; then why participate at all? What good does it do to participate on a forum if people think you're a jerk, don't value your input, or don't read it at all?[emoji4]

Bob often has a lot of wisdom. If he could just figure out how to make his point without often coming off as very disrespectful, more people would listen to him. He seems to believe that giving even a little respect to someone he disagrees with is "coddling". Offering a opposite point a view while being respectful is something he struggles with mightily. It's like he sees that as a sign of weakness. Ironically, I believe many see his inability to have a professional discussion here on a regular basis as his BIGGEST WEAKNESS. That's why many threads he's involved in explode as people "strike back" after he's insulted them and it goes on and on..... Often going way off the topic. I've been sucked in many times.
As a result, instead of getting respect for his DJ and technical wisdom, many write him off as an internet troll who loves to talk tough behind a computer.

About half of all the posts on these boards are about respect - which really means complaints about which customer, vendor, or banquet manager failed to show the DJ due deference or give in to their demands and expectations. I'm not interested in joining that club.

It's not a lack of respect when I refuse to entertain posts with a "show me" sense of entitlement. No one who appears on the internet owes anyone a free extended education on some topic. Nothing will evaporate respect faster than demanding respect for uninformed and erroneous information just by virtue of having posted it. Pile on gripes like this always come from the same "prove me wrong" crowd playing the victim.

I've been at this for over thirty years. I came from DJing, and from training and supporting DJs (which I still do) but, have grown from that to being a full on event tech from staging to lighting, AV, and more. What considerations are taken up in a production meeting for the inclusion of a DJ? Clear boundaries.

Mobile DJs notoriously don't know what they don't know, and that blind spot can make them dangerous. The problem is exacerbated because DJs tend to acquire their information from other DJs rather than real education or certified training. So, bad practices and erroneous information takes on a life of it's own. There are some event sites so clearly beyond their scope that it tames their ego but, when those obvious limits are not visible they typically behave like their the smartest guy in the room and it can be really dangerous to people, property, safety, and the event goals.

More often than not when a DJ on here is pointing the finger at a client, an event manager, or some other vendor - the transparency of their own contribution jumps right off the page, and they can't even see it.

It's not a lack of respect when I refuse to entertain posts with a "show me" sense of entitlement. No one who appears on the internet owes anyone a free extended education on some topic. Nothing will evaporate respect faster than demanding respect for uninformed and erroneous information just by virtue of having posted it. Pile on gripes like this always come from the same "prove me wrong" crowd playing the victim.

When you make a blanket statement, claiming it to be fact, and refuse to back it up, it then becomes an opinion. I can claim the sky is purple all day long it doesn't make it so

I've been at this for over thirty years. I came from DJing, and from training and supporting DJs (which I still do) but, have grown from that to being a full on event tech from staging to lighting, AV, and more. What considerations are taken up in a production meeting for the inclusion of a DJ? Clear boundaries.

I've followed a similar path to you Bob, probably not on as large a scale. Everyone working the event from wait staff to camera ops, to sound and even the event manager need clear boundaries and need to be doing specific jobs preferably the one they were hired for and staying out of the way of the others doing their job. I should hope as event manager you aren't doing other jobs also or you've hired a fool for both.

Mobile DJs notoriously don't know what they don't know, and that blind spot can make them dangerous. The problem is exacerbated because DJs tend to acquire their information from other DJs rather than real education or certified training. So, bad practices and erroneous information takes on a life of it's own. There are some event sites so clearly beyond their scope that it tames their ego but, when those obvious limits are not visible they typically behave like their the smartest guy in the room and it can be really dangerous to people, property, safety, and the event goals.

Let's not just lump DJ's in this. From my experience any trade can be have the smartest guy in the room problem. The other thing is when you are the event manager you tend to hire from the same pool. You know who's who and what they can do and you make the calls and it happened. I was managing a big event a few years back and the A/V tech's lighting guy didn't show. The DJ wasn't on till later in the evening in a different room so he hired the DJ to do sound (He was qualified he was a sound man for many years) and the tech took over lighting

There is nothing wrong with DJ's learning from other DJ's.There is a big problem when they don't know their limitations. I'd sooner take advice from guys like Steve and Tigger and many others here than from a textbook. Education is great I don't argue that but it never beats real world experience

When you make a blanket statement, claiming it to be fact, and refuse to back it up, it then becomes an opinion. I can claim the sky is purple all day long it doesn't make it so

There's no such thing as a blanket statement. Blankets are woven from people's personal agendas. Everything has a context and it's in trying to evade context that people weave their personal blankets. There's a lot of immature all-or-nothing responses people make in threads and I ignore most of that black-or-white nonsense. When people choose stupid as their path - I don't need to follow them.

If someone does claim the sky is purple Jeff, I recommend you look at it yourself instead of begging them to "back it up" for you.

Last edited:
My issue with Bob is him putting down other DJs on there forums. Rarely does he give a compliment to someone. Who cares how long he's been doing this? That doesn't give him the right to step on people's neck and not let up.

Amy one of us can still learn something from someone else. You can either learn what to do or what not to do.

Once in a while it's nice to hear you did something right. I worked in a place where the person in charge of the building never liked to give a compliment and rarely smiled. Nobody in the building liked her. She just wasn't pleasent to be around or work with. For whatever reason she was just PITA.

You should have one good day. I say to people if it's that bad commite suicide. They say it's not that bad. I then tell then shut the f*** up.

There's no such thing as a blanket statement. Blankets are woven from people's personal agendas. Everything has a context and it's in trying to evade context that people weave their personal blankets. There's a lot of immature all-or-nothing responses people make in threads and I ignore most of that black-or-white nonsense. When people choose stupid as their path - I don't need to follow them.

If someone does claim the sky is purple Jeff, I recommend you go look at it yourself instead of begging them to "back it up" for you.

Knowledge is knowing the sky isn't purple. Wisdom is not needing to look up to prove it.

I recall one time you telling me every place has internet and I recall proving you wrong. Leads me to believe you make many statements without merit

Happy new Year Bob

I recall one time you telling me every place has internet and I recall proving you wrong. Leads me to believe you make many statements without merit

What I say and what you choose to make of it rarely resemble one another.
Wisdom is simply allowing for the occasional purple sky.

Knowing or researching has nothing to do with wisdom. That's a hard concept to grasp for people who think in absolutes.

Knowing or researching has nothing to do with wisdom. That's a hard concept to grasp for people who think in absolutes.

What you say and what you manipulate it to be when proven wrong rarely resemble one another

It's hard for you to grasp the concept because you always want to be right and everybody else wrong.

There is only one being that is always right and that is God. Let us know when you become God.