Generators

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I saw EB2800, they also sell it at Home Depot. I usually see the EU 2000's all the time in NYC with the street vendors. But for me it's not enough power . I picked up the Honda EB 3000 it is 2800 watt with some voltage regulation. But I haven't used it much this season. I purchased it when one of my other two generators was in for servicing. As I never go to an event with just one generator I needed a stop gap . The EB series are not as light & quiet as the EU series but still somewhat compact. Much lighter than my big 250 pounds 5500watt Powermate generators but half the power.

Reactions: ittigger
I like the eu2000, but the runtime worries me. I usually tell the clients to go rent a 25kw inverter unit, but now those are running $400/day, and that's if you come pick it up yourself. You're talking $700-$800 to have it delivered. These bigger Honda units would be enough to power a sound system, plus a set of LED uplights on tent jobs and I could still easily get $250-$300 per day rental. I know you guys talk about taking 2 generators but I'm more inclined to just offer a single unit. If I were doing more than a handful of events per year it might worth the extra unit but at my current need I just don't see the benefit.

With the smaller generators they do occasionally have issues. It doesn't matter whether you do just one event with them. If that one generator goes out say halfway through the job and the rental shop is closed, what are you going to do? I've been in that predicament before I brought my generators in a area where are running an extension cord wasn't an option. Let me tell you the few extra dollars spent on the second generator is nothing compared to the hell on that one night. Of course it's also a big selling point to clients and makes them think how prepared you are as compared to the competition.

Reactions: DJ TJ and ittigger
Not sure, Like everything else I buy I bought this from a local Honda a dealer not a big box store that sells Honda, he charged me $250 to do the conversion. it's been extremely trouble free, goes in every spring for a tune up same time my lawn mowers go in

These are 10db+ louder than the 2000 or 3000, so you'd have to keep them much further away to be close to inaudible.

As a licensed master electrician that happens to work with gen sets a lot more than I like I am going to be the voice of caution. Gen sets are getting better and better by the day any more, but be cautious. There is always a lag. If your not pumping a lot of base your current draw is usually pretty stable. And most gen sets will handle it. But if you want thump you need to size your gen set at least 6 times what your max load will be to accommodate the inrush and you are still taking a gamble.