football pep rally (outside)..sound system?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

IceBurghDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
iceburghdj.com
OK, i signed up a league for pictures and threw in my dj services to close the deal. This is their first year doing a pep rally at their football field (ages 5-13, 250 kids plus parents, potentially) to start the season. 7-9 pm on a friday.

they want background music, to announce the kids running onto the field (possibly using their press box and PA system).

Never attempted anything like this...I figured they'd use me for an indoor end of season awards banquet or fundraiser event or something.

I have PR15 tops and PR12 tops and plenty of amp to run them I've heard them run together at a car cruise (whole town shut down, every 2 blocks there was a DJ - this guy was one of the two best sounding ones. He setup in the back of his pickup with an easy up tent over it for rain protection) Nobody spaced out their speakers but I'm thinking, as long as the wires can be safely run, it would be better to do so.

So...how best to setup and run the gear I have? (no subs...no point to it, no dancing, etc)

Run mono .. it'll be easier to then aim the speakers where needed. For music, the younger sports kids seem to like the Jock Jams series and you can mix in some newer stuff. For PA use .. not sure if you mean they may want to announce over your system .. if so, bring both wireless and wired mics (and a long enough cable). I have a Beyer desk mic with a push-to-talk switch I use for game type announcing .. this way it's always muted unless someone holds down the talk button .. helps eliminate extraneous noises and "incidents" where you forget mic is on.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Since you mentioned PR15 AND PR12, I'm assuming you have 2 pairs (4 speakers)? If that assumption is correct, I think spread is probably the biggest issue. Not sure if there's a track between the bleachers and the field but I'd likely spread those 4 cabs, facing into the stands. If you could get a 100-150 ft spread, with decent wattage, I think you're gold.

I have no idea. Never been to an outside pep rally, this is their first one..other than announcing the players and doing a picture of a formation (their logo they think) on the field and the concession stand will be open they have no idea. I have no idea what their field looks like - our local field is just about that - a field. the stands are on skids. HS fields are bigger deals with walls, real stands, lights, etc.