First DJ set up ?s

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
... Let's keep in mind who Alto's direct competitors are: Mackie Thump, Behinger EuroLive
What do you all think of these lines?
I don't care for either, but I did listen to both of them. If I thought they sounded good, and current owners were saying they were reliable, I might have even purchased some... hard to say???:laugh: I'm not a gear snob.:laugh: The fact that Alto can build a much better speaker than Harbinger, Mackie, and Behringer for about the same price means they're at the top of their class to me.:djsmug:

I don't care for either, but I did listen to both of them. If I thought they sounded good, and current owners were saying they were reliable, I might have even purchased some... hard to say???:laugh: I'm not a gear snob.:laugh: The fact that Alto can build a much better speaker than Harbinger, Mackie, and Behringer for about the same price means they're at the top of their class to me.:djsmug:
I guess they have Junior Varsity MVPs too ...

One of the guys who works with me bought the Mackie Thumps. I always thought they sounded pretty muffled. Also, both of his speakers bit the dust within 2 years. Might just be poor quality but I'm pretty sure he wasn't running them in line-input mode. I suspect he just burned them up thru mis-use.

As for no negativity - various posts from 2012-2015:

---------------------------------------------

As far as the clarity of these TS115A's the only speakers that these are truly comparable to is the QSC K10's. That being said, these lack the volume and "umph" of QSC's product line. A quick search shows that QSC K10's are more than 3x the price of these, and for that price you are getting a much louder cab (and bigger/better amp) than what Alto is offering. However, when looking at the Alto TS115A you do find a very affordable high-end sounding unit. They are incredibly detailed, very clear, and are truly a full-range speaker cab. These speakers can be easily stacked on one another as they have feet and tops that accommodate for this. One pair of these is perfect for small venues and for indoor wedding receptions. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a sub for these though, as these seem to ride the struggle bus when it comes to bass with "umph." Beware of running these cabs at higher volumes without a sub/crossover, as songs with a lot of bass (such as Katy Perry's Dark Horse) will cause the voice coils to heat up and potentially cause permanent damage to the cabs very easily.

These are really good speakers. Upon receiving the item, everything worked as expected. They're extremely loud!! Plenty of power. The ONLY problem I had though were the other reviews bashing this product about the sub woofer blowing. You need to understand that the half way point on both inputs is 100% of the speakers available output volume and that anything past the 12 o'clock is going to add +50db (your upage for mic inputs). Though I understood this concept perfectly fine, I still wanted to return them even after just receiving them. My reason is simple. Reliability. I did some more research after purchasing these speakers and found out that the bass would give out even under normal use which really didn't make me feel comfortable enough.

Another reason why I think people who've said the speakers woofers go under normal use would in essence be because of the cooling system. This was probably one of sketchiest things I've ever seen and let me tell you why. Are fan cooled powered amps just as good as passive cooling with heat sink fins? Yes, they're probably about the same. However on these speakers, once first setup for initial try and after reading that they are temperature activated, one speaker's fan zipped right on at full speed as if the amp was running hot and the other speaker's fan didn't do a thing; didn't turn on at all. So after having both speakers in the same room temperature and not in any sun for one day, I tried them again. Same thing. One turned on full speed, the other not full speed. So why are they reading completely different temperatures? How is it possible that one could be reading a temperature that is so much hotter than the other?? Though after using the speakers for a couple hours on low volume, the fan that didn't spin started to spin so I know the temperature readings were working, I just don't think Alto designed the temperature reading system correctly.

So after my rant about these speakers, I would give it a 3 of 5 stars. I'm half on this. I just don't think people are using these speaker right and I also think Alto is mostly to blame for your bass woofer giving out, even under normal use. That is, their inability to create a cooling system that is consistent from product to product. So I returned them and got my money back. I have now bought the Mackie Thump 15's. Not one single bad review and they're suppose to be louder. They're coming today so I can't wait to see how they compare.

my alto professional speaker stopped working with no reason . I just use it for my familiy celebrations. I never put the volume to maximum capacity because I have people up and down. I feel so disappointed.

Sadly, the only thing that has prevented me from giving this item 5 stars is it's reliability. I have purchased 4 of these speakers and 2 of them have blown. The low end tends to blow after a certain amount of time. It is also important to note that when connecting to the speaker, the dial on the back serves as both a volume control and a gain. With that being said, it is recommended that you only set it to 9 o'clock at the most. Anything higher than 12 o'clock will send you into mic mode and could potentially damage your speaker if you do not have a mic connected. If you found this review helpful, be sure to let me know by voting! Send me any questions you have and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner to answer them!

I've been a mobile DJ since 2012 when I got two of these, and the sound technician for a band since 2013. The sound is pretty great and when paired with an 18" sub, they can provide a full aural experience.
However, after five years of relatively infrequent use (less than 100 events in that time), during soundcheck at a band gig, one of them began smoking. After tearing it apart on a later date and testing it, a friend tells me the relay switch was what went bad--we could both tell it was where a smoke smell was coming from, at the least.

Additionally, while carefully unscrewing the back panel, many of the screws snapped in half--they are of a very thin, cheap metal.

We haven't abused these--I've always carefully loaded them into my van and I've rarely had the clip indicator go off. They've never fallen from their stands or been knocked over.

-------------------

Alright so here is the lowdown on these...
I have had this product for about 8 months. I ordered two of them and when I first got them out of the boxes, I noticed they had a nice build, sleek looking and automatically sound great beacuse of the 15" woofer. Very loud and hits some nice lows. (By the way I use these for fraternity house parties) BUT... after about 3 months of decent to moderately overpushing these guys, one blew out. And when I say one blew out I mean that the amp fried for the main woofer. I was discouraged and decided to keep using the other one. After another few weeks, this too blew out with the same problem. Frustrated, I called the company and they quickly sent me an email. It was easy to fill out the paperwork and get through their customer service, but after they made me pay to ship them to get fixed (another $150) I was able to receive the same speakers with new amps put in (the couple of speakers were still under warranty). I was very happy with the service the provided. Now these speakers are working well, but I'm hesitant to push them again. They do sound great and are a great speaker, just if you decide to purchase these, don't intend on pushing these puppies for extended periods of time because they might not hold up. If I could do it all over again, I would go with the a better known brand that could really take some beatings (I might have gone with Behringer). Hope this helps your decision!

-----------------

I'm a mobile DJ who gigs 3-5 times per month. I bought two of these and used them flawlessly at 3 gigs. On the 4th gig, the subwoofer on one inexplicably went silent. There is no tear in the woofer, it just died. My mix was not clipping (my mixer nor the signal limiter went into the red--I'm OCD about this), and the amp could not have overheated (I had just started playing an hour prior). Not long after that, the fan on the other one stopped working. Pretty soon, the whole speaker shut down and now will not power on. Both of my speakers crapped out ON THE SAME GIG. I did not get paid for the gig, and it was a huge embarrassment. Luckily I purchased the Pro Coverage from GC or else I'd be SOL. Who knows when they'll be fixed, though?

If you read other reviews about these speakers, you'll see much of the same story. They work well at first, but then give out around the third or fourth gig. I can't afford to have this happen again so I'm going to be on the hunt for speakers again.

Everyone else:

This wouldn't be a bad speaker for spoken word, iPod amplification, acoustic guitar, or vocal monitors. I'd use one at a trade show in a heartbeat. For microphones or acoustic guitars, this is a very loud speaker at a good price.

Bottom line:

I gave it 3 stars because this would be perfect under the right applications and circumstances. It's just not for DJs who need a reliable rig... If you're looking for budget speakers for DJ'ing, look at Mackie or Behringer. If you want to take your chances on these, that's fine. But you've been warned by me and many others on the internet.

UPDATE 4/16
I have just received word from the manufacturer who is replacing the speakers. They have had them since early March, and they originally told me I would have them back in mid-April. I just checked in with them and they just told me I won't be getting them back until late May. This manufacturer is jacking me around. I've docked them a star for this.

I bought 2 Altos 15" in December and another one last month. 2 have blown woofers already under normal use. They sound great for the price but I wouldn't recommend them as they tend to have cheap woofers. I'm not sure if they heat up or what but, one minute they're fine (not peaking and not in the red) then all of a sudden the woofer blows. I've never blown a speaker in my life before these and now it's happened twice in 6 months. The only way these speakers are worth the money is if you get the Guitar Center protection plan. That way you can get them fixed or replaced when the woofers blow. (and they will) They're actually still a very good value even with the added expense of the protection plan.

Reactions: sonic-vision
How about buy once, laugh A LOT at the person who spent $2,900 more and got no more out of their PA system than I did mine? That $2900 difference that I saved DIDN'T cost me $290 a year ($24 a month), because I didn't spend it (at least not on the PA system).:laugh:

People can't always pay for the best... $3,000 is a lot of money. How many people can come up with an additional $3,000? Most would have to wait to purchase speakers that cost $3,000 more. People told ME to wait and buy the more expensive speakers, but I didn't. By the time I could have afforded to buy the more expensive speakers, I had already done two gigs with my Altos... jobs I would not have had if I had waited. And I would venture to say that if I had bought Yamaha's, it would have been much more than a $3,000 difference, but it would not likely have resulted in a single penny more in what I earned for those gigs. So the economics just don't work out... at least they didn't for me. My Alto's have paid for themselves many times over, now, and I continue to use them because they JUST WORK!

As far as helping people "get it right the first time"... that's "YOUR" (version of) right, but not necessarily theirs. I don't advocate people go out and buy the cheapest product they can find, but I do advocate doing the research and knowing the risks (and the economics) if you decide to purchase something like Alto Truesonic speakers or GTD Wireless microphone systems. There are GOOD, lower cost products out there, and if you don't have the money, and can't wait until you can save more, then by all means buy something affordable that works!:)

I never said the best - the best costs way more. Get it right the first time should not equate to the cheapest way to do it - that's my point. It also does not mean the most expensive way. I never specified 'a way' that was my way. I simply stated not to go directly to the entry level stuff - instead, become educated and then make a decision. It doesn't have to be my way or your way (and shouldn't be). There are plenty of ways - but they shouldn't be the cheapest. If people go out and buy crappy gear based on the opinions here, and that equipment doesn't work, then they'll learn - but in that process, they now have to shell out $4500 - because they wasted $1500 the first time. Also consider this, if you decide to resell your Alto, how much do you think you will get back - or is it considered wasted money?

Something else to keep in mind, these are entry level systems. If you need them in order to step up to the next level, then so be it. If you can afford to initially buy better, then do so and save money in the long run. If all you need is entry level equipment, then also so be it.

$3000 IS alot of money. Some here are making at least that in a year. Some here charge nearly that for a single event.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve149
I guess they have Junior Varsity MVPs too ...
Sure... and I'll tell you another true story... When I was in the 10th grade, our (high school) JV team went undefeated in our conference. We kicked our varsity team's a$$es EVERY TIME we practiced against them, and our varsity team was not bad (I think they went 8-3 that year). We had twin brothers who weighed more than 250 pounds each on the offensive line, and a young quarterback who later went on to play at Florida State (and of course we had me:laugh:). I remember when ISIS was the "JV Team" too.:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: steve149
So, we agree that Alto is for the JV team, we can move on ... :)

Reactions: ittigger
As for no negativity - various posts from 2012-2015:
Now you're just gettin' chippy:laugh:. If you read my post, I said...
... And yet, everyone on this (and every other forum I'm on), who ACTUALLY own and use Alto's swear by them.

I clearly said "everyone on this (and every other forum I'm on)... swear by them. I NEVER said they have never received a bad review. In fact, I read ALL the reviews (on several sites) and I took that into account before I bought them, as I recommend to anyone else considering such a purchase. That's part of understanding and accepting the risk. If I had excluded every product that had a bad review, I probably wouldn't ANY gear. As for relatively small number of bad reviews compared to the number of speakers they've sold, I think the Alto's fared pretty well. Also, I'm more likely to trust some of the DJ's on the forums I go to, than the anonymous reviewers you quoted as to how the speakers performed. I bet I could blow even the MOST expensive speaker if I didn't have a clue how to use it. Some of those reviewers seemed credible and knowledgeable...others, not so much.:djsmug:

Now you're just gettin' chippy:laugh:. If you read my post, I said...

I clearly said "everyone on this (and every other forum I'm on)... swear by them. I NEVER said they have never received a bad review. In fact, I read ALL the reviews (on several sites) and I took that into account before I bought them, as I recommend to anyone else considering such a purchase. That's part of understanding and accepting the risk. If I had excluded every product that had a bad review, I probably wouldn't ANY gear. As for relatively small number of bad reviews compared to the number of speakers they've sold, I think the Alto's fared pretty well. Also, I'm more likely to trust some of the DJ's on the forums I go to, than the anonymous reviewers you quoted as to how the speakers performed. I bet I could blow even the MOST expensive speaker if I didn't have a clue how to use it. Some of those reviewers seemed credible and knowledgeable...others, not so much.:djsmug:

Uhmmmm - these are owners and users. Kind of hard to swear by them, if they don't work. ;)

FWIW, the reviews were from DJ's.

Uhmmmm - these are owners and users. Kind of hard to swear by them, if they don't work. ;)
Once again... I said "everyone on THIS and every other FORUM I'M on". But let's do a little analysis of your BRILLIANT reviewers. One said... "I have now bought the Mackie Thump 15's. Not one single bad review and they're suppose to be louder. They're coming today so I can't wait to see how they compare." And yet nearly a quarter of the reviews of Mackie Thumps on Amazon.com are NEGATIVE. What kind of credibility does that guy have?:laugh:... Then there's this one... "The low end tends to blow after a certain amount of time. It is also important to note that when connecting to the speaker, the dial on the back serves as both a volume control and a gain. With that being said, it is recommended that you only set it to 9 o'clock at the most. Anything higher than 12 o'clock will send you into mic mode and could potentially damage your speaker if you do not have a mic connected. If you found this review helpful, be sure to let me know by voting! Send me any questions you have and I will do my best to respond in a timely manner to answer them!" ... Does that sound like a guy you'd go to for advice?:laugh:... Or this one... "Not long after that, the fan on the other one stopped working"... The fans in the Alto's are intermittent. If he'd been watching, he'd have known they don't run all the time unless they're in an environment that's too hot. I don't use mine outdoors for just that reason. I could go on. :djsmug:

Yes, the Alto's had some bad reviews, and yes... if you buy QSC K12's, they might be more forgiving if you don't know what you're doing. But that DOES NOT mean they're not a good value (price/performance)? I happen to think they are.

Seriously, I'm not an Alto employee, stock holder, or bigot.:laugh: But if anyone asks me about the ones I have personally used for 3+ years, what am I supposed to say; that they sound like CRAP and they are certain to fail on you? Am I supposed to be dishonest so someone will go out and spend more money than they can really afford?... Not gonna do it. I have too much integrity for that.:)

FWIW, the reviews were from DJ's.

Just to be fair... The following is from Amazon.com...

upload_2017-11-20_14-46-42.png

... Note that the QSC's had 3 critical reviews out of 79, where the Alto's had 4 critical reviews out of 50. But for 4 stars and higher, the QSC's are 97% to 92% for the Alto's. 5%!!!!... 5% of the reviews being higher for the QSC's is all that separates them from the Alto's, and yet the price of the QSC's was 400% MORE $$$.:djsmug: If you go to 3 Stars or higher, the difference is only 1%.;)

... and I still discount half of the reviews on the Alto's because many who bought them were inexperienced beginners who clearly had no clue what they were doing and did not read the manual. People who buy speakers as expensive as QSC's generally know what they're getting into.:laugh:

Frankly, I don't seriously see Alto TS112's as QSC's direct competition. They're not.:djsmug:

Last edited:
I have no idea how much anyone has or is willing to spend. Like you, I'm offering my opinions. The OP is the only one that can decide what to choose. With that said, understanding how and where pricing generally comes from, can help with making purchases (especially if you want them to last).

With what you know, if a car manufacturer released a brand new car today for $4000.00, do you think this new car would be good? Do you think it would meet all the requirements or do you think there were corners cut somewhere (considering the current cheapest car is about $14,000.00)?

... and I still discount half of the reviews on the Alto's because many who bought them were inexperienced beginners who clearly had no clue what they were doing and did not read the manual. People who buy speakers as expensive as QSC's generally know what they're getting into.:laugh:

Stated perfectly. The ones who know, bought something else. ;)

Frankly, I don't seriously see Alto TS112's as QSC's direct competition. They're not.:djsmug:

You're right, they're not. Alto's competition is Thump and Behringer.

Alot of people are buying the Alto's because they're cheap - not because they're known for greatness or quality. It's $250 - not a big loss if it doesn't work. Compared to $800, which could be a significant loss if it doesn't work.

Stated perfectly. The ones who know, bought something else. ;)

You're right, they're not. Alto's competition is Thump and Behringer.
On that we can agree... So with those choices, (throw in Harbinger and Gemini if you's like)... which would YOU choose if you had a $250 per speaker MAX budget, and needed speakers today?