Fascinating Prom Reqeusts

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
The teachers are demanding a $10,000 pay raise, and restoration of the cuts that were made to the education budget. They say they hadn't received a raise in 10 years.

Teaching, as a career, is going to be going thru some massive changes in the coming years. Our own school district now offers a hybrid school where the kids attend 3 hours of classes, 4 days per week and the rest is done online. We moved our daughter to this school and she's loving it and the school population is exploding. I believe that online is the wave of the future with teaching and teachers are going to start getting more and more salary pressure as time goes on.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Do any of us feel we have a moral responsibility not to play music where 1/3 of the playlist has to be redacted? If music is a reflection of the society we live in, what does this say about our young people?? And no, the parents often do not know better.

Every year the music has changed, but drugs, sex, and immoral references have always existed... even 15 yrs ago when I was in HS and songs like DMX up in here and whatever else similar were being played at hs dances. I don't believe it is my job to monitor the music, and decide for the guests what they should or shouldn't hear from a moral perspective... it's my clients. The majority of my clients focus on profanity as the threshold. Therefore, I set my limits as such as well. I will neither go beyond or short of that limit at the current moment. Going too far either way will put you out of business with teen events. If you play songs with cursing... then chances are you're not coming back and possibly will get cut off quickly. If the limit is profanity, and you take it upon yourself to limit the music based on content as well... then the guests will be annoyed that they're not hearing music they expect to hear... and guess what... you won't get called back for any other event. Around here the students choose the dj's for proms and such... the teachers approve it. I did a MIni-Thon last night in PA for 350 teens where my limitations were simply profanity... and guess what... I did my job making sure I played clean versions off all songs, and played a combination of a playlist to that similar above, as well as a lot of edm style music. End of the night, and they already want me for next year.

If you choose to do this as a hobby... then set your own rules I suppose... but as a business, you got to do what's best for making profits and feeding your family. Now if I start seeing the hosts of the night really starting to make an emphasis of content as well, then I guess I'll need to adapt to sustain my business... if teens remain to be my clientele base. A lot of adults don't like the music out right now for kids, and some choose not to play it and therefore don't care to do teen events. It's better to do things that way, than to give the teens an experience that falls short of their expectations... and for your reputation to be tarnished amongst them.

I know this sounds very insensitive... but again while I may have started out in 2004 doing this as a hobby and playing whatever I liked... I now run a business where I have to do my best to be successful at each and every event, regardless of my personal opinions. It's also why I don't post any personal opinions on social media about anything.

Music (at least 50% IMO) has been about sex and drugs for the past 50+ years. The number of songs about sex with girls under 18, going back at least to the Beatles, could probably fill a playlist.

The only difference is the current crop of songwriters/singers have no idea what innuendo is. Maybe vocabulary is limited or they just don't give a f$*&. :)

Reactions: redhotdj
Every year the music has changed, but drugs, sex, and immoral references have always existed... even 15 yrs ago when I was in HS and songs like DMX up in here and whatever else similar were being played at hs dances. I don't believe it is my job to monitor the music, and decide for the guests what they should or shouldn't hear from a moral perspective... it's my clients. The majority of my clients focus on profanity as the threshold. Therefore, I set my limits as such as well. I will neither go beyond or short of that limit at the current moment. Going too far either way will put you out of business with teen events. If you play songs with cursing... then chances are you're not coming back and possibly will get cut off quickly. If the limit is profanity, and you take it upon yourself to limit the music based on content as well... then the guests will be annoyed that they're not hearing music they expect to hear... and guess what... you won't get called back for any other event. Around here the students choose the dj's for proms and such... the teachers approve it. I did a MIni-Thon last night in PA for 350 teens where my limitations were simply profanity... and guess what... I did my job making sure I played clean versions off all songs, and played a combination of a playlist to that similar above, as well as a lot of edm style music. End of the night, and they already want me for next year.

If you choose to do this as a hobby... then set your own rules I suppose... but as a business, you got to do what's best for making profits and feeding your family. Now if I start seeing the hosts of the night really starting to make an emphasis of content as well, then I guess I'll need to adapt to sustain my business... if teens remain to be my clientele base. A lot of adults don't like the music out right now for kids, and some choose not to play it and therefore don't care to do teen events. It's better to do things that way, than to give the teens an experience that falls short of their expectations... and for your reputation to be tarnished amongst them.

I know this sounds very insensitive... but again while I may have started out in 2004 doing this as a hobby and playing whatever I liked... I now run a business where I have to do my best to be successful at each and every event, regardless of my personal opinions. It's also why I don't post any personal opinions on social media about anything.

While I don't disagree with the logic, the place it occurs may impact you severely. At a Prom, your client is the school. It can be a very fine line trying to appease both sides. Your client (the school) is not listening from a moral perspective. They're relying on you, the professional, to do that for them. They're also relying on you to monitor it as well - and to decide what the guests should and should not hear from a moral perspective.

Reactions: prodjay
I understand - my comments (as is usual with me) are directed at society in general, not you as an individual - you just happen to be doing a lot of Sweet 16's and Prom's, and are usually kind enough to share the playlists.

Reactions: ittigger
While I don't disagree with the logic, the place it occurs may impact you severely. At a Prom, your client is the school. It can be a very fine line trying to appease both sides. Your client (the school) is not listening from a moral perspective. They're relying on you, the professional, to do that for them. They're also relying on you to monitor it as well - and to decide what the guests should and should not hear from a moral perspective.
I’m actually VERY upfront about that with schools. I play radio edits of all songs. So the way it sounds on the radio is how it’ll sound from me.

Reactions: TwinSpinDJ
I also agree - but school's are not necessarily on board with all the stuff that played on the radio. Most do not listen to what the kids do. This is where they rely on you, the professional, for the above mentioned things. Pleasing the school generally does not please the kids and vice versa.

Reactions: prodjay
I also agree - but school's are not necessarily on board with all the stuff that played on the radio. Most do not listen to what the kids do. This is where they rely on you, the professional, for the above mentioned things. Pleasing the school generally does not please the kids and vice versa.

This also varies based on the school. The discussion I had with the sponsor of this dance I'm doing was very honest. The teacher working on this understands the music that kids listen to. She knows I'm going to do my best in being tactful about it. My strategy is to hit the songs and the choruses quick without spending a lot of time in the verses.

But ultimately, they know that a safe space with edited (albeit, maybe some less than wholesome) music is better than many of the alternatives. If we can't make it fun, kids won't come, and who knows what else they do to "celebrate" instead.

This also varies based on the school. The discussion I had with the sponsor of this dance I'm doing was very honest. The teacher working on this understands the music that kids listen to. She knows I'm going to do my best in being tactful about it. My strategy is to hit the songs and the choruses quick without spending a lot of time in the verses.

But ultimately, they know that a safe space with edited (albeit, maybe some less than wholesome) music is better than many of the alternatives. If we can't make it fun, kids won't come, and who knows what else they do to "celebrate" instead.
That’s the philosophy a lot of the schools and youth groups I work with have. You’re not gonna change what they listen to... so let’s create a fun safe environment for them to enjoy what they’re already gonna listen to and have on their iPhone anyways.

Again, agreed. Finding that balance can be tough.

Reactions: Albatross
We just received a list for an April prom:
Rock Star-Post Malone
LOVE-Kendrick Lamar
Cupid Shuffle-Cupid
Buy U a Drank-T Pain
Crank That-Soulja Boy
Eenie Meenie-Sean Kingston/Justin Bieber
Fergalicious-Fergie
Headband-BOB
I Don't Mind-Usher/Juicy J
I want it that Way-Back Street Boys
In Da Club-50 cent
In My Head-JAson Derulo
Jordan Belfort-Wes Waler & Dyl
Kiss Me Thru the Phone-Soulja Boy
Lip Gloss-Lil Mamma
Low-FloRida/TPain
Ms Jackson-Outkast
NaNa-Trey Songz
Promiscuous-Nelly Furtado
Run the World-Beyonce
Sexy Can I-Ray j
Do Re Mi-Blackbear
Super Bass-Nicki Minaj
Yeah-Usher
Say My Name-Destiny Child
Down-Jay Sean
No Problem-Chancer the Rapper/Lil Wayne/2-Chainz
Hotline Bling-Drake
Young, Dumb & Broke-Khalid
I Spy-KYLE
Loyalty-Kendrick Lamar/Rhianna
He Could Be the One-Hannah Montana
Bounce Back-Big Sean
Imma Be-Black Eyed Peas
Wild Thoughts-DJ Khaled
Boyfriend-Justin Bieber
Wop-J Dash
Bad and Boujee-Migos
Rake it Up-Yo Gotti
Battle Scars-Lupe Fiasco/Guy Sebastian
Caroline-Amine
Party in the USA-Miley Cyrus
Fishing in the Dark-Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Post to Be-Omarion
Shut up and Dance-Walk the Moon
We Found Love-Rhianna
Crazy in Love-Beyonce
Party for two-Shania Twain
Best Love Song-TPain
Bad Romance-Lady Gaga
Love you like a love song-Selena Comez
Diamonds-Rhianna
Love Story-Taylor Swift
The Real Slim Shady-Eminem
Empire State of Mind-JayZ/Alicia Keys
Hollaback Girl-Gwen Stefani
Bardier Cardi-Cardi B
Tunnel Vision-Kodak Blacj
Ignition-R Kelly
It Wasn't Me-Shaggy
Hot in Herre-Nelly
Where is the Love-Black Eyed Peas
Ride Wit Me-Nelly
Just Dance-Lady Gaga
DJ Got Us Fallin in Love-Usher
Boot Scootin Boogie-Brooks & Dunn
Honkey Tonk Badonkadonk-Trace Atkins
Sexy Back-Justin Timberlake
Cotton Eye Joe-Rednex
Love on the Brain-Rhianna

Rock Star-Post Malone
LOVE-Kendrick Lamar
Cupid Shuffle-Cupid
Buy U a Drank-T Pain
Crank That-Soulja Boy
Fergalicious-Fergie
Headband-BOB
In Da Club-50 cent
In My Head-JAson Derulo
Lip Gloss-Lil Mamma
Low-FloRida/TPain
Ms Jackson-Outkast
NaNa-Trey Songz
Run the World-Beyonce
Sexy Can I-Ray j
Do Re Mi-Blackbear
Super Bass-Nicki Minaj
Yeah-Usher
Down-Jay Sean
Hotline Bling-Drake
I Spy-KYLE
Bounce Back-Big Sean
Imma Be-Black Eyed Peas
Wild Thoughts-DJ Khaled
Boyfriend-Justin Bieber
Wop-J Dash
Bad and Boujee-Migos
Rake it Up-Yo Gotti
Caroline-Amine
Post to Be-Omarion
We Found Love-Rhianna
Crazy in Love-Beyonce
Best Love Song-TPain
Bad Romance-Lady Gaga
Diamonds-Rhianna
Love Story-Taylor Swift
Bardier Cardi-Cardi B
Ignition-R Kelly
It Wasn't Me-Shaggy
Hot in Herre-Nelly
Ride Wit Me-Nelly
Just Dance-Lady Gaga
Cotton Eye Joe-Rednex

Mid 2000’s are coming back strong. This list is very similar to what we get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock Star-Post Malone
LOVE-Kendrick Lamar
Cupid Shuffle-Cupid
Buy U a Drank-T Pain
Crank That-Soulja Boy
Fergalicious-Fergie
Headband-BOB
In Da Club-50 cent
In My Head-JAson Derulo
Lip Gloss-Lil Mamma
Low-FloRida/TPain
Ms Jackson-Outkast
NaNa-Trey Songz
Run the World-Beyonce
Sexy Can I-Ray j
Do Re Mi-Blackbear
Super Bass-Nicki Minaj
Yeah-Usher
Down-Jay Sean
Hotline Bling-Drake
I Spy-KYLE
Bounce Back-Big Sean
Imma Be-Black Eyed Peas
Wild Thoughts-DJ Khaled
Boyfriend-Justin Bieber
Wop-J Dash
Bad and Boujee-Migos
Rake it Up-Yo Gotti
Caroline-Amine
Post to Be-Omarion
We Found Love-Rhianna
Crazy in Love-Beyonce
Best Love Song-TPain
Bad Romance-Lady Gaga
Diamonds-Rhianna
Love Story-Taylor Swift
Bardier Cardi-Cardi B
Ignition-R Kelly
It Wasn't Me-Shaggy
Hot in Herre-Nelly
Ride Wit Me-Nelly
Just Dance-Lady Gaga
Cotton Eye Joe-Rednex
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ... interesting.

i think you're only getting a lot of those throwback songs because you let the list become so large... id never allow a list that big... not because I can't accomodate it... as it looks like just about every song I usually play... but because Ill be focusing more on the list than reading the crowd. If you cut that list down and told em 20 songs max, you'd get all the current hits... theres quite a few questionable hip hop tracks in there especially rake it up which talks about strippers and jordan belfort popping molly and such lol.

Reactions: maestro
i think you're only getting a lot of those throwback songs because you let the list become so large... id never allow a list that big... not because I can't accomodate it... as it looks like just about every song I usually play... but because Ill be focusing more on the list than reading the crowd. If you cut that list down and told em 20 songs max, you'd get all the current hits... theres quite a few questionable hip hop tracks in there especially rake it up which talks about strippers and jordan belfort popping molly and such lol.
We don't have an online request system, and generally don't encourage or mention song lists...this is a long standing customer--probably 12+ years we've been doing their prom--and they said the Srs put together a list and was it ok to send it. I said of course. From what I understand the Juniors have one also, but I haven't received that yet [eye roll]. Most of the songs would be on our list anyway, so I don't see anything too unusual or disturbing (I was surprised I only noticed a couple culls on a quick read thru). They are trying to be accomodating to the students to reverse the leaving after grand march that started a couple years ago due to an administration change and behavior crackdown. Last year was better, hopefully this year is back full swing again. A few years ago there were maybe a dozen couple by midway through the dance because the students were mad that the new faculty was cracking down on something or another...don't remember what it was.

I bet dress code or the way they dance
I know in part it was the way they dance...the new administration came out and was being all tough and powerful and the kids pushed back. There was more that was more pertinent to daily school life too that frankly I just don't remember anymore. Basically though it was the result of admin marching in and declaring dictator and crackdowns....

Reactions: ittigger
This is the same thing that happen here to some of the larger schools and the admin wanted to blame the poor attendance or leaving early on the DJ.
In most cases I'd be concerned about that, but not at this school. The prom gets a 'report card' every year and the DJ is the only aspect to ever get an A...and every year as far as I know. We have a great relationship with them, with a long history and a future at least the next few years (we're contracted for several more years proms currently).

In most cases I'd be concerned about that, but not at this school. The prom gets a 'report card' every year and the DJ is the only aspect to ever get an A...and every year as far as I know. We have a great relationship with them, with a long history and a future at least the next few years (we're contracted for several more years proms currently).

My point was, here the admin does not think its ever them that might be the problem!