Ever call your competition?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Some people thinks it's strange, but I've never looked at other DJ's as competition. Sure, some people have selected other DJ's over me.
But if I'm doing the right things, I'll be able to fill that date.
My competition is my time. If I spend it wisely, my schedule will be as full as I want it to be, regardless of whatever other DJ's are doing.
I network with other DJ's in my area a lot. I send business their way when we are booked and have received many from them.
I'll gladly help out any DJ that has questions. Many have helped me.

Sure there are some DJ's in my area that feel their road to success is paved with other DJ's failure.

I've found the exact opposite. If a dozen Dj businesses went out of business in my area, they would be replaced easily. My business wouldn't change much. Certainly not long term.

I've had other DJ's I've never met call me and thank me for telling a potential client the good things I've heard about them.

I'll fill holes in my schedule with gigs from other companies. I'll gladly promote their business. I get calls a lot for these, but am fortunate that I'm busy enough to not be able to take a lot of these. I just recently got a call from someone I did a wedding for through another company. Even though I gave her their card, she looked me up and called me, bypassing the original company. I said if be glad to help, but only if she booked it through them. That will endear you to another Dj business like nothing else.

I had a guy fill in for an event for me several years ago. I made it clear He was representing our company and gave him our cards to give if someone asked. 2 hours into the event, I get a text from a friend saying this guy is handing out not only his business cards, but to people that weren't even asking. I paid him and told him why I wouldn't be sending him any business again.
I've seen this guy out. I wish him well. Just ain't going to do business with him any more.

Scott and I are very similar in business perspective; play nice, say only good things about competition (absence a comment says more than bad mouthing), refer other DJ when you are booked (what goes around does come back two-fold). Could not have said it better, Scott!