EV Evolve 50 - First thoughts - Quick Review

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Thanks for the update... sounds like a very nice system. I would love to know how they compare to the EVOX 8, but even side by side comparisons can be suspect for we all seem to hear different things and only hear what we want to hear!

I believe Ben Stowe did a comparison on his Facebook page you can check that out

EDIT: Here's the Youtube video

If I remember it correctly, the JBL Eon One system has a compartment in the sub that holds the column sections. Of course, I wasn't overly impressed with its harshness, which seems typical on JBL equipment.

JBL makes great gear but some does require processing for sure

I believe Ben Stowe did a comparison on his Facebook page you can check that out
He did a nice job with the comparison. Notice the big suck-out all three systems have at around 350-400 Hz, which is probably a room effect, and will make them sound "thin". IMHO, you'd be best served by buying the cheapest of the three, plus a DBX or Behringer with Auto RTA to smooth the response.

The lack of adjustability of height on the EV would be an issue for me .. though a 15 sec setup would really be nice.

Reactions: ittigger
Height should be too big of a deal the array style should be able to overcome the lack of height
Still prefer a decent amount of the speaker ABOVE the heads of those closest, which means the HF units at least topping at 7'. These seem to be shorter than that (though there is an alternative pole that can be used).

Reactions: ittigger
Steve, the Array on the Evolve stand 7.5'.

They actually make a shorter poll for use when you are on a stage or elevated platform.

I am 6'4" tall and it is much taller than I am.

Steve, the Array on the Evolve stand 7.5'.

They actually make a shorter poll for use when you are on a stage or elevated platform.

I am 6'4" tall and it is much taller than I am.
Then that would work. I remember it shorter at the DJ Expo ... must be my memory fading ...

Evolve 50 - Initial thoughts

I am a user that does not represent EV and was not given a unit to test, so my comments are as real as it gets. I only got these last night around 4pm, so my time to play was VERY limited. I am basing this off my initial use of the system. I am using them today and tomorrow at weddings.

Purchase -
3 - EV Evolve 50 Systems
1 - EV ELX200 12SP (powered subwoofer, in case I need more low end) Picking this up TODAY locally.
3 - Evolve Sub Covers (not in stock yet)
1 - 12SP Cover (not in stock yet)

Replaced -
2 - Bose, L1, Model 2

1. Packaging was great. Arrived perfectly safe.
2. Cabinets look great. Durable finish on the sub and while I am slightly concerned that the top speaker is plastic, it seems VERY well constructed. Best looking speaker I have ever owned.
3. Initial setup (bluetooth) was very easy. It DOES help to read (or glance over) the manual to figure out how to setup bluetooth.
4. The sound... I am QUITE impressed. I am coming from a Bose L1, M2 system and was used to that sound. On the Evolve, the high's are MUCH "crisper" and the lows are decent. I am in a small room (to test) and the bass is kicking, however, I feel that it will be slightly lacking when I get in a larger room. For that reason, I did purchase an extra EV 12" sub to help supplement the low end, a bit. I may or may not need it.
5. Compared to Bose, the sound is VERY VERY good. I am still working with the app to get it sounding better. But, the Bose is good... ver good! In fact, if these don't work out, I will be back to Bose. (still learning, that's all) But, right out of the box, I could easily see it sounding better than many system.
6. I borrowed my friend's EVOX 12 last week and while the low end on the Evox was more (15" compared to a 12", I still enjoy the high's from the EV much better.
7. It WILL take me some time to get the processing right to make the sound perfect but right now, it sounds VERY VERY good.
8. The app needs some work. It needs to have the ability to have a horizontal display but they are working on that. Also, the limit light on the app is about as big as the tip of a VERY sharp pencil, so don't rely on that. But, I was pushing it VERY hard and barely saw the first limit warning. (HUGE improvement for EV in this area from the ETX, EKX series)

Overall, I am EXTREMELY impressed. Again, I am not paid from EV, I am not a person who got to demo it ahead of time, I am just average user, like most of you.

Huge kuddos to Ben for making sure we had them today. I sold my Bose 3 weeks ago and have been borrowing from others until today. I was debating if I should use these this weekend, since we just met, but I think I will. Unfortunately, both of my weddings are outside events. But, that will be a good test.

I will try to get some more opinions for you as I continue to get to know these bad boys.

My local Pittsburgh EV rep and friend DeWayne was SUPER helpful as well.

I am just checking in with you now that you have a little more time in with your new EV system. Are you still liking the system and again, how does it compare to the BOSE?
Are you happy with the change? Frankly, I am not seeing alot of real user reviews on this system, so not sure if it is just not taking off yet or just does not hit enough users yet? The system looks great from the photos I have seen, but... I would love to know how it stacks up to the comparable systems from BOSE, RCA, JBL. Like the RCA system, not cheap... but EV does put out a very high quality product. My other concerns with EV had been with early clipping claims with some of their other speaker lines, so how does this system hold up?
Thanks!

It does not compare to Bose.

117db for Bose compared to 128 db for EV... it blows the Bose away in loudness, sound quality and features.

You are not seeing reviews? Seriously? They are everywhere.

I can only compare with Bose. The others are not in the same class.

It does not compare to Bose.

117db for Bose compared to 128 db for EV... it blows the Bose away in loudness, sound quality and features.

You are not seeing reviews? Seriously? They are everywhere.

I can only compare with Bose. The others are not in the same class.
If the RCF EVOX 8 isn't in the same class, does that make them better than the EVs? They certainly aren't below them.

I had the Evolve system next to the RCF Evox 12 system, which has more power and a larger woofer. The low frequencies were much more pronounced on the Evox but overall, the EV held its own on the high end.

Keep in mind, there is no bluetooth, no onboard mixer, etc... on the RCF. I'll take the look and sound of the Evolves over the Evox any day.

I had the Evolve system next to the RCF Evox 12 system, which has more power and a larger woofer. The low frequencies were much more pronounced on the Evox but overall, the EV held its own on the high end.

Keep in mind, there is no bluetooth, no onboard mixer, etc... on the RCF. I'll take the look and sound of the Evolves over the Evox any day.

Thanks for the updated review.

Reactions: djmagicmoments
The RCF EVOX 12 and the Bose L1 II, IMO, are both subjectively better (at least louder) than either the Evolves or the EVOX 8s. The EVOX 8 and the Evolve are similar .. though they sound different. The Evolve wasn't around when I bought the EVOX 8, though I have listened to them and would still go with the "less equipped" mixer and the EVOX.

You thought the Bose was louder than the Evolves? I am quite surprised. Physics doesn't lie. 117 db compared to 127 db is quite a difference.

I only have to compare what I heard when having them side by side and A/B'ing them. To me, that's the ONLY way to compare speakers. Hearing one, then later hearing another is rather subjective.

Regardless, both are great systems.

You thought the Bose was louder than the Evolves? I am quite surprised. Physics doesn't lie. 117 db compared to 127 db is quite a difference.

I only have to compare what I heard when having them side by side and A/B'ing them. To me, that's the ONLY way to compare speakers. Hearing one, then later hearing another is rather subjective.

Regardless, both are great systems.
117dB vs 127dB isn't physics. it's marketing, as the EV specs are shown as "calculated". What actually does help the Bose (and to a lesser extent the EVOX 12), is the physics involved with linear arrays, as the EV has 6 inline forward facing speakers and the Bose has 24 (the EVOX 12 has 8 and a max SPL of 130). The additional linear drivers help carry the wavefront further out (that magic array technology) and keep the SPL more consistent. The EV does have the best mixer section of those mentioned.

They are all great systems .. just minor umbrage taken to the "not in the same class" argument.

All that mixer section on the EV's is probably nice if you're a performance artist and you're performing in the general proximity of the speaker where you can use all the features. But using the EV's as a DJ, I'm not real interested in running back and forth from my booth to my speakers to adjust the EQ's. All those extra mixer features are not very valuable to me.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk