EV Evolve 50 - First thoughts - Quick Review

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

djmagicmoments

DJ Extraordinaire
Jan 16, 2016
Evolve 50 - Initial thoughts

I am a user that does not represent EV and was not given a unit to test, so my comments are as real as it gets. I only got these last night around 4pm, so my time to play was VERY limited. I am basing this off my initial use of the system. I am using them today and tomorrow at weddings.

Purchase -
3 - EV Evolve 50 Systems
1 - EV ELX200 12SP (powered subwoofer, in case I need more low end) Picking this up TODAY locally.
3 - Evolve Sub Covers (not in stock yet)
1 - 12SP Cover (not in stock yet)

Replaced -
2 - Bose, L1, Model 2

1. Packaging was great. Arrived perfectly safe.
2. Cabinets look great. Durable finish on the sub and while I am slightly concerned that the top speaker is plastic, it seems VERY well constructed. Best looking speaker I have ever owned.
3. Initial setup (bluetooth) was very easy. It DOES help to read (or glance over) the manual to figure out how to setup bluetooth.
4. The sound... I am QUITE impressed. I am coming from a Bose L1, M2 system and was used to that sound. On the Evolve, the high's are MUCH "crisper" and the lows are decent. I am in a small room (to test) and the bass is kicking, however, I feel that it will be slightly lacking when I get in a larger room. For that reason, I did purchase an extra EV 12" sub to help supplement the low end, a bit. I may or may not need it.
5. Compared to Bose, the sound is VERY VERY good. I am still working with the app to get it sounding better. But, the Bose is good... ver good! In fact, if these don't work out, I will be back to Bose. (still learning, that's all) But, right out of the box, I could easily see it sounding better than many system.
6. I borrowed my friend's EVOX 12 last week and while the low end on the Evox was more (15" compared to a 12", I still enjoy the high's from the EV much better.
7. It WILL take me some time to get the processing right to make the sound perfect but right now, it sounds VERY VERY good.
8. The app needs some work. It needs to have the ability to have a horizontal display but they are working on that. Also, the limit light on the app is about as big as the tip of a VERY sharp pencil, so don't rely on that. But, I was pushing it VERY hard and barely saw the first limit warning. (HUGE improvement for EV in this area from the ETX, EKX series)

Overall, I am EXTREMELY impressed. Again, I am not paid from EV, I am not a person who got to demo it ahead of time, I am just average user, like most of you.

Huge kuddos to Ben for making sure we had them today. I sold my Bose 3 weeks ago and have been borrowing from others until today. I was debating if I should use these this weekend, since we just met, but I think I will. Unfortunately, both of my weddings are outside events. But, that will be a good test.

I will try to get some more opinions for you as I continue to get to know these bad boys.

My local Pittsburgh EV rep and friend DeWayne was SUPER helpful as well.

Thanks for that quick review, I am sure we all will be extremely anxious to see how you like the units in the real world at one of your gigs.
It is really good to see that apparently EV has addressed the limiting issues they had with some of their past units. Again, that will be more evident once you can really push these at one of your gigs. I am especially interested to see how the 12" subs hold up and how the low end works for the dancefloor.
Tell me, is the app the only method to see the limit activity?

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Evolve 50 - Initial thoughts

I am a user that does not represent EV and was not given a unit to test, so my comments are as real as it gets. I only got these last night around 4pm, so my time to play was VERY limited. I am basing this off my initial use of the system. I am using them today and tomorrow at weddings.

Purchase -
3 - EV Evolve 50 Systems
1 - EV ELX200 12SP (powered subwoofer, in case I need more low end) Picking this up TODAY locally.
3 - Evolve Sub Covers (not in stock yet)
1 - 12SP Cover (not in stock yet)

Replaced -
2 - Bose, L1, Model 2

1. Packaging was great. Arrived perfectly safe.
2. Cabinets look great. Durable finish on the sub and while I am slightly concerned that the top speaker is plastic, it seems VERY well constructed. Best looking speaker I have ever owned.
3. Initial setup (bluetooth) was very easy. It DOES help to read (or glance over) the manual to figure out how to setup bluetooth.
4. The sound... I am QUITE impressed. I am coming from a Bose L1, M2 system and was used to that sound. On the Evolve, the high's are MUCH "crisper" and the lows are decent. I am in a small room (to test) and the bass is kicking, however, I feel that it will be slightly lacking when I get in a larger room. For that reason, I did purchase an extra EV 12" sub to help supplement the low end, a bit. I may or may not need it.
5. Compared to Bose, the sound is VERY VERY good. I am still working with the app to get it sounding better. But, the Bose is good... ver good! In fact, if these don't work out, I will be back to Bose. (still learning, that's all) But, right out of the box, I could easily see it sounding better than many system.
6. I borrowed my friend's EVOX 12 last week and while the low end on the Evox was more (15" compared to a 12", I still enjoy the high's from the EV much better.
7. It WILL take me some time to get the processing right to make the sound perfect but right now, it sounds VERY VERY good.
8. The app needs some work. It needs to have the ability to have a horizontal display but they are working on that. Also, the limit light on the app is about as big as the tip of a VERY sharp pencil, so don't rely on that. But, I was pushing it VERY hard and barely saw the first limit warning. (HUGE improvement for EV in this area from the ETX, EKX series)

Overall, I am EXTREMELY impressed. Again, I am not paid from EV, I am not a person who got to demo it ahead of time, I am just average user, like most of you.

Huge kuddos to Ben for making sure we had them today. I sold my Bose 3 weeks ago and have been borrowing from others until today. I was debating if I should use these this weekend, since we just met, but I think I will. Unfortunately, both of my weddings are outside events. But, that will be a good test.

I will try to get some more opinions for you as I continue to get to know these bad boys.

My local Pittsburgh EV rep and friend DeWayne was SUPER helpful as well.

I was wondering if you had some real time use of these in a wedding, party environment yet and may be able to further review?

Reactions: Chuck The DJ
Sure. I will get something written up on Sunday. I'll have 6+ events with them and have a very good opinion by then.

I have been trying to see if there is anymore user reviews out there, far and few between. Might be as they are so new and they just started shipping these units?
Either way... there seems to be one guy on serato that has the system and also has the EVOX 8 - He really likes the EVOX system better. As you know, your mileage may vary and we all hear, see things differently.
The real advantage to the Evolve is the robust mixer and bluetooth, also seems they can be bought for a little less money than EVOX. You would think EV did their homework on these, but it is really hard to find real true users to review them yet.

...The real advantage to the Evolve is the robust mixer and bluetooth...

Not sure the Bluetooth feature is that much of an advantage. I don't know any DJ who actually uses Bluetooth to transmit music as a primary method of connecting their speakers. I own a pair of speakers that have Bluetooth capability (as well as XLR inputs), and I use it when practicing at home, but never at a gig. I also have Bluetooth built into my Denon DN-410X mixer. I could use it if I needed to play a track from a portable device, but never needed to yet.

It's really easy, though, to plug an inexpensive ($20+/-) Bluetooth receiver into one of the inputs on your powered speaker or mixer. Not necessary to buy something with Bluetooth built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all of the "new" speakers get blue tooth because it is very cheap to add and increases the perceived value, I have a few with it and have never used it in a "paid" situation

Bluetooth is a little risky IMO... can receive interference from other electronic signals, and cuts in and out randomly. It's just a little too unreliable to use as a primary connection method for me. Maybe it will get there, but not there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did use the bluetooth once at a wedding for the ceremony and it worked perfectly. Will I use it all the time? Nah. I am usually very close to the speaker, so a cable is always my first choice.

Regarding the Evolve 50. They are an amazing little speaker system. They pack a punch and produce some crystal clear volume. Will they rock you with bass, no way. In fact, I have began supplementing the low end with an additional 12" sub from EV. I will add another soon. Not because I have to have it but because I want to have it. I prefer the sound of a good quality 12" sub (coupled) over the rumble sound of an 18" sub. Will it go as low as an 18", no way, but for weddings, I don't need that. I like the fast recovery time of a 12" sub and the punch that it offers. Put two 12" subs next to each other and you have a really wonderful low punch.

The sound is amazing. Best I have heard in a column type speaker. Better than Bose? I think so. EV seems to have looked at what everyone else was doing right (and wrong). They really have a solid product. I did a high school event last night (yes, a Tuesday night) and they worked perfectly. I have also about 7 weddings under my belt with these and they were again, perfect. No issues at all.

They occasionally will display the "small" limit light on hard hitting low end bass signals but I have yet to see the large, more worrisome, limit light. And I have been pumping these fairly hard.

The connections are perfect. MANY different inputs, including bluetooth, as mentioned. You can also control the system from your iPhone or iPad, which I choose not to do. I like the "set it and forget it" mentality. I can make fine adjustments, as needed, on my Denon controller.

Are they worth $1500 each. Absolutely! I have the high end look I was going for and an amazing sound, all in a rather small footprint.

Last edited:
I did use the bluetooth once at a wedding for the ceremony and it worked perfectly. Will I use it all the time? Nah. I am usually very close to the speaker, so a cable is always my first choice.

Regarding the Evolve 50. They are an amazing little speaker system. They pack a punch and produce some crystal clear volume. Will they rock you with bass, no way. In fact, I have began supplementing the low end with an additional 12" sub from EV. I will add another soon. Not because I have to have it but because I want to have it. I prefer the sound of a good quality 12" sub (coupled) over the rumble sound of an 18" sub. Will it go as low as an 18", no way, but for weddings, I don't need that. I like the fast recovery time of a 12" sub and the punch that it offers. Put two 12" subs next to each other and you have a really wonderful low punch.

The sound is amazing. Best I have heard in a column type speaker. Better than Bose? I think so. EV seems to have looked at what everyone else was doing right (and wrong). They really have a solid product. I did a high school event last night (yes, a Tuesday night) and they worked perfectly. I have also about 7 weddings under my belt with these and they were again, perfect. No issues at all.

They occasionally will display the "small" limit light on hard hitting low end bass signals but I have yet to see the large, more worrisome, limit light. And I have been pumping these fairly hard.

The connections are perfect. MANY different inputs, including bluetooth, as mentioned. You can also control the system from your iPhone or iPad, which I choose not to do. I like the "set it and forget it" mentality. I can make fine adjustments, as needed, on my Denon controller.

Are they worth $1500 each. Absolutely! I have the high end look I was going for and an amazing sound, all in a rather small footprint.

Looking at pictures I wonder about the long term durability. It seems there is a fair but of thin plastic on them is this accurate or are the pics somewhat deceiving?

Reactions: ittigger
Oh my goodness, no. That could not be further from reality. They are 100% solid. I mean, the handle on top of the sub, which is the only plastic part of the entire sub speaker, has to be strong enough to lift the entire speaker. So, it is quite beefy for sure.

On the top speaker, it is VERY light but very well built. It's not as durable as a wooden cabinet but it doesn't have to be. The cabinet has very little vibration so it is perfectly fine. I LOVE the light weight of the system. I am tired of carrying heavy top speakers, when they don't need to be.

And, at 127db in a plastic top speaker, i'll take that every day! They did their research on these, that's for sure. I read reviews all the time and there just are not any bad reviews. In fact, the bad things I have heard come from people who have never seen or heard the system in person.

I have no concerns about that plastic.

Oh my goodness, no. That could not be further from reality. They are 100% solid. I mean, the handle on top of the sub, which is the only plastic part of the entire sub speaker, has to be strong enough to lift the entire speaker. So, it is quite beefy for sure.

On the top speaker, it is VERY light but very well built. It's not as durable as a wooden cabinet but it doesn't have to be. The cabinet has very little vibration so it is perfectly fine. I LOVE the light weight of the system. I am tired of carrying heavy top speakers, when they don't need to be.

And, at 127db in a plastic top speaker, i'll take that every day! They did their research on these, that's for sure. I read reviews all the time and there just are not any bad reviews. In fact, the bad things I have heard come from people who have never seen or heard the system in person.

I have no concerns about that plastic.

Thanks Scott. Quite often pictures can be deceiving. The pic that concerned me was (I think) where the pole locks in to the array. Being EV I'm sure the quality is there

Glad to help. I agree with you. It has to be a 100% quality piece of gear for me or it was going back. I have absolutely no problems at all.

I am in Pittsburgh and will gladly demo to anyone who wants to make the trip. We can also A/B them with your speakers as well.

I am not a poster boy for EV. In fact, I was VERY vocal about the easy limiting of the EKX and ETX series. That is fixed in this speaker, as well as the ELX200 series. If I have a problem, they will know it.

I am disappointed that we don't have covers yet for these but they are working on the issue as we speak.

I am disappointed that we don't have covers yet for these but they are working on the issue as we speak.

Don't they come with a carrying case? I thought I seen that somewhere

Thanks for the update... sounds like a very nice system. I would love to know how they compare to the EVOX 8, but even side by side comparisons can be suspect for we all seem to hear different things and only hear what we want to hear!

The top column does. The sub does not.

If I remember it correctly, the JBL Eon One system has a compartment in the sub that holds the column sections. Of course, I wasn't overly impressed with its harshness, which seems typical on JBL equipment.

I did a side by side with the Evox 12 but not the 8. It was interesting. Clearly, the 12 had the better bass (12" sub to a 15" sub) but the Evole was MUCH crisper on the tops. Not harsh, crisp.

I was able to do more with the EV to make it sound exactly how I wanted it.

The Evox 8 was my second choice so anyone who purchased that is going to be quite happy as well.