EV ETX 18SP's

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
We+need+more+power+_b4ab1259233a55a8130c703f5ae5fcab.jpg

The "power ratings games" that all the manufacturer's play with, makes it really hard to figure out what's going on, so here's a few tips for dedicated bass amps.
Low frequency, like EDM, is really taxing on continuous power, so that's what you need. Your XLS2002 bridged at 4 ohms is 2100 watts, but look at the fine print, that's an average power rating @ 1000 cycles. Lets divide that in half for 1050 watts, but that's still at 1000 Hz. Things will not look good at 30 Hz. How do we know this? Look at the back of the amp -XLS2002_Back_full_width.png
You see down where the plug goes into the amp. 50/60 Hz @ 350 watts. This is the maximum power this amp will pull out of the wall socket. On a continuous basis, it cannot produce more power than that, unless there is some kind of magic inside.

XTI6002.jpg
The XTi 6002. 1700 watts max out of the wall (if the circuit can handle it) - now we're cooking!!
Would I use the XLS 2002? Absolutely! Would I keep an eye on Craigslist for someone selling a monster amp? Dam right, and lots are usually available because of powered speakers now being preferred.

Thanks for the information! I started out with buying used gear, and i now can get better gear so i will be keeping an eye on bigger amps! Man...all we need is just a boatload of money. Slow and steady I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Thanks for the information! I started out with buying used gear, and i now can get better gear so i will be keeping an eye on bigger amps! Man...all we need is just a boatload of money. Slow and steady I suppose.

Slow, steady and in the right direction ... :)

I have the chance to trade my xls 2002 for an xti 4000. I would also include my hazer (which I was selling) and $100 on my end. For the Danley, should I wait for a 6000 series or is this a good deal. The amp has low hours apparently but obviously trading new for used is sketchy to me.

I have the chance to trade my xls 2002 for an xti 4000. I would also include my hazer (which I was selling) and $100 on my end. For the Danley, should I wait for a 6000 series or is this a good deal. The amp has low hours apparently but obviously trading new for used is sketchy to me.

A lot depends on how hard you need to push them .. I ran my Yorkville UCS1 subs off a QSC PLX3602 running in stereo (not bridged), so basically just under 800w per sub, and never had an issue. While your Danley can chew up a lot more power, if you're not pushing them, then go with what you think will do the job better for longer. Personally,for mobile work, I liked keeping the amps in stereo ... drew a lot less current and kept them a lot cooler. Does require an amp with balls though.

Careful on buying used with the original XTI series.
1000,2000 & 4000 models (not 6000) from production run "N" with serial numbers starting at 8500 were recalled.
The original recall document has now been removed from Crown's website but some more info here:

Crown XTi Recall?

I have an XTI4000 from production run "X" along with 2 0f the newer version 4002's and they have all been rock solid.

Reactions: aguilas583
I usually power mine with PLX3602 bridged because they are lighter amps and I don't push the amps. When I want to get maximum performance, I use my monster RMX 4050HD iron amps which each are in their own rack and nothing else. HD stands for heavy duty, but at 68 lbs they should have named it HA for heavy azz. These amps were made to be bridged and to handle heavy sub duties.

It's incredible how heavy amps are pretty much obsolete now. It's crazy to think that you can now get an 18 thousand watt single rack space amp (Powersoft K20) now at 26.5 lbs, and a 160 lb TH118 subwoofer to exceed the output of two double eighteen subs. I believe the technology will continue to shrink these amps more and more throughout the years. I also envision in the future that loudspeakers including subwoofers will take a paradigm shift. No more conventional boxes or drivers. Something the size of a smart phone will be able to accurately reproduce the full sound spectrum at crazy loud ear bleeding decibels. It might take 10 years or 150 to a thousand years, but it will happen. At least that is my dream ;)

Reactions: aguilas583
The problem with light-weight switching amps, is they need a lot of power, since there isn't anything in reserve. With most of us stuck on a single 15-20A circuit, it's tough trotting out the big guns.

Reactions: ittigger
Back from the dead here. Found a good deal on a used XTi 6000 and went for it for my sub.

I’m sure people have seen this already, but through April, Crown has decent rebates on the XTi lineup. From the 1002 all the way to the 6002. This was the main reason I posted again.

Back from the dead here. Found a good deal on a used XTi 6000 and went for it for my sub.

I’m sure people have seen this already, but through April, Crown has decent rebates on the XTi lineup. From the 1002 all the way to the 6002. This was the main reason I posted again.

Welcome back .. You didn't visit @DJ SVO did you? :)

Welcome back .. You didn't visit @DJ SVO did you? :)

I did not haha.

I was not very impressed when I heard them in the store. They seemed to max out fairly quickly and sound like there straining.
If base is what you need no single sub is gonna be that impressive unless you couple several together. One thing I have learned with subs, is you need at least twice the rated power if not 3 times the power. Subs work best with lots of head room. If your doing school dances, my guess is there gonna be held in a gym or some other large space. Might look at some horn loaded subs for large areas.