EV ETX 18SP's

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Thanks for the input so far. It's a lot of money (luckily all from the business income, not my normal family income) so making the best choice is stressing me out a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
If you don't have the amps, and the weight isn't an issue, get the ETX .. if you find something you like better in the future, they'll be easy to unload without too much loss.

What might be harder to unload, but less initial cost if you don't count your labor, Fitzmaurice Horn's, Tuba or Titan -
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/
I saw 1 pair of those in the wild ... didn't look all that "professional" looking .. surely a testament to the builder's prowess.

How do you think 4 qsc kw181s would stack up against the 2 8004's?
Ohhhh lord! We don't know? Alligator vs grizzly Shark vs Micheal Phelps, my Dad vs your Dad. This can only be speculated, Unless someone wants to go about and buy these two setups and does a a/b side by side comparison???????

Hard to tell.

Go with the Qsc's Tried and true! Lots of dealers! American made! Used throughout the industry.

There is a reason why when you rent from the local shop,,,,most of the time you rent qsc!
It is the perfect balance between price, performance and durability.

Search craigslist and find something that someone else that thought they wanted to dj,,,,,then lost interest and sold them for 1/2 price barely used.

Last edited:
Reactions: aguilas583
Aguilas... I don't know where you're from, but I do have a kw181 leftover (I sold the other one)... other than some cosmetic scratches, it is in great working condition. With those savings, maybe 3 kw181's is a realistic option. For that matter... if anyone is in the NJ area and is interested in a KW181 shoot me an offer if you want to pick it up.

Aguilas... I don't know where you're from, but I do have a kw181 leftover (I sold the other one)... other than some cosmetic scratches, it is in great working condition. With those savings, maybe 3 kw181's is a realistic option. For that matter... if anyone is in the NJ area and is interested in a KW181 shoot me an offer if you want to pick it up.

Unfortunately I am in Colorado so the 181 is probably not a realistic option. I appreciate the offer though sir.

Thank you all for your input. I do take it all in.

So I decided to buy the Danley TH118 powered by a Crown XLS2002. I will sell one of my 15" peavy subs and keep the second one for wedding events. I will post photos and a review if I get a chance on the Danley.

This is what I was talking about, when I suggested looking into parts availability of a certain piece of gear.

See how much and how easy it is to get the QSC line of replacement parts!

heck build your own enclosure and put these components in them and save alot of money!

You can get it real close as far as enclosure size and the most important is the porting dimensions. heck put 2 in a double enclosure and have the first KW281!

240253.jpg
QSC WP-218102-00 Power PCB for KW181
qsc kw181 subwoofer power circuit board.
In Stock
btn_freeship.png
247756.jpg
QSC XD-000005-00 Woofer for KW181
woofer for qsc kw181 powered subwoofer.
In Stock

Heres the other one!

280388.jpg
Electro-Voice F.01U.324.350 Amp Assembly for EV ETX18SP
amp assembly for electro-voice etx-18sp 18" powered subwoofer.
554.54 $
Usually ships in 7-14 business days.
Need it sooner
btn_specordr.png
237763.jpg
Electro-Voice F.01U.278.393 Woofer for PX2181 and ETX-18SP
woofer for electro-voice loudspeakers: px2181 etx-18sp
345.63$

This is what I was talking about, when I suggested looking into parts availability of a certain piece of gear.

See how much and how easy it is to get the QSC line of replacement parts!

heck build your own enclosure and put these components in them and save alot of money!

You can get it real close as far as enclosure size and the most important is the porting dimensions. heck put 2 in a double enclosure and have the first KW281!

240253.jpg
QSC WP-218102-00 Power PCB for KW181
qsc kw181 subwoofer power circuit board.
In Stock
btn_freeship.png

That's just the I/O board ... the full amp module (like the EV) is here at $481: QSC WP 218104 00 Amp Assembly for KW181 | Full Compass

283562.jpg

I am a mechanical engineer and I have enough electrical experience to understand he concepts, but the biggest thing is I don't have the time to properly do all of the calculations, buy the material, fabricate, test, and hope it sounds good is too much for me. It's a good idea though.

Reactions: DJKLEEN
I was wondering what would happen if I replaced my JBL Prx718s amp with a jbl prx618xlf amp or a JBL prx718xlf amp. The Prx718s and the Prx6l8xlf have the same woofer but different box (it's also the same woofer used in the JBL vrx918sp box) Does the specific box for each sub make that much of a difference or is the woofer the big difference maker. People in other forums advise against it but really don't see the big deal.

I was wondering what would happen if I replaced my JBL Prx718s amp with a jbl prx618xlf amp or a JBL prx718xlf amp. The Prx718s and the Prx6l8xlf have the same woofer but different box (it's also the same woofer used in the JBL vrx918sp box) Does the specific box for each sub make that much of a difference or is the woofer the big difference maker. People in other forums advise against it but really don't see the big deal.
Box size is normally calculated based on the driver parameters .. and JBL used differrent motors in the 2 series (one is neo based, the other ferrite) .. might work .. might not.

Does the specific box for each sub make that much of a difference or is the woofer the big difference maker.
The size of the box, the tuning of the box (the port), and the driver, all make a big difference. If you the know the driver's parameter's, there are software programs (many that are free) that you can plug this info into that will predict (pretty accurately) how it will work in a given sized box volume, and the size of the port(s) it should have.

Box size, efficiency, smooth frequency response without peaks, SPL vs the drivers xmax (before it mechanically damages itself), etc., are all trade offs. I mentioned it before, but unfortunately the Laws of Physics means you can pick only two out these three choices - Loud, Low, Small. To get Loud and Low (what we all would like), you need Big - there is no way around it.

i got my ETX18sp's for about a grand each, give or take $50, one with a free cover offer. Northern Light and Sound..google them.

Yeah, they are big, and heavy? They don't seem so heavy to me. But I've not had to carry them up steps either...

I run 2 with two DXR12 tops..plan to get another 1 or 2 DXR tops then maybe, if the clients come, more ETX18s.

Need? prolly not. But just blowing folks away...priceless!

Reactions: aguilas583
i got my ETX18sp's for about a grand each, give or take $50, one with a free cover offer. Northern Light and Sound..google them.

Yeah, they are big, and heavy? They don't seem so heavy to me. But I've not had to carry them up steps either...

I run 2 with two DXR12 tops..plan to get another 1 or 2 DXR tops then maybe, if the clients come, more ETX18s.

Need? prolly not. But just blowing folks away...priceless!
They are up to about $2,242 now shipped for a pair.