EV EKX vs ETX

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

BlueLineDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Jan 25, 2015
So I'm looking into purchasing some new tops and of course I hear over and over again rave reviews about the Electro-Voice line. I've never owned powered speakers before. But perusing though this group I'm leaning that way.
I would love to be able to buy tops and subs at once but my budget isn't going to allow it. So I thought I'd look at tops and just pair them with the passive Peavey 118s that I have now. I know it's probably not ideal, but its about the only option I have. I currently have Peavey 215s but I Want something I can pole mount either on my subs or on a tripod if needed.
I'm leaning towards either the EKX or the ETX line but I want some input on which is better. I'm sure the ETX is is more top of the line, but if its not necessary and the EKX series are just fine, then I'm all about going that way.
The majority of my gigs are wedding receptions of 200-400 people or proms/school dances of 200-600 people.
OK...Go! ....and be nice ....LOL

So I'm looking into purchasing some new tops and of course I hear over and over again rave reviews about the Electro-Voice line. I've never owned powered speakers before. But perusing though this group I'm leaning that way.
I would love to be able to buy tops and subs at once but my budget isn't going to allow it. So I thought I'd look at tops and just pair them with the passive Peavey 118s that I have now. I know it's probably not ideal, but its about the only option I have. I currently have Peavey 215s but I Want something I can pole mount either on my subs or on a tripod if needed.
I'm leaning towards either the EKX or the ETX line but I want some input on which is better. I'm sure the ETX is is more top of the line, but if its not necessary and the EKX series are just fine, then I'm all about going that way.
The majority of my gigs are wedding receptions of 200-400 people or proms/school dances of 200-600 people.
OK...Go! ....and be nice ....LOL

Of course as the price reflects ETX are AMAZING. But the EKX is a great line as well. One advantage to the EKX is less weight. Here is what i would recommend. For tops the EKX will do just fine and i'm sure you'll love them. When you have the money Buy the ETX subs to go along with the EKX tops. This way you save money and have an amazing rig. The ETX subs are definitely worth paying the extra money for over the EKX subs. But with the tops the EKX tops have plenty of power and still sound amazing. So those are my thoughts but either way you cannot go wrong!

I think, for most non-live sound needs, the EKX is fine, and will save a couple $100 ...

I would put 12" tops over subs and only look at 15" tops if you run subless at times, as a 12" top will usually sound cleaner. In the $600ish range of the EKX, I would also look at the QSC K12 and the Yamaha DXR12. Stretching another $100, the RCF HD12a is even better.

I can't sign up for you... you will have to do that yourself to get the savings.

Oh, you were just referring him to the website itself lol. Gotcha. I thought you were trying to show him a specific speaker model and i was letting you know that only went to NSL's homepage

Reactions: djmagicmoments
I bought a pair of DSR 115 tops and I love them. Later on I bought a pair of DSR 118's subs. Since that time I don't remember the last time I used those subs since I have more. I still use the tops. Those were my first and only powered tops. I wasn't going to buy them at first but got talked into buying some powered speakers. I'm glad my ex partner talked me into buying powered speakers. I bought those speakers because I'm a high man. I love the highs for tops. Some like deep bass. I like when tops have clean clear highs so the vocals don't sound muddy. Just take your time like I did and wait to buy some powered subs. By the time you go to buy some the price might come down a little bit as someone keeps coming up with new gear all the time.

I understand you are talking about the tops, but I have a pair EKX subs, and I am very please with them.

I think it was magicmoments who said he was not pleased with the EKX 15 sub. Which one(s) do you have? Care to share any more thoughts?

Reactions: Albatross
Correct. I originally purchased the EV EKX Subs first and did not like them. I then went to the ETX subs and did not like those. They limit WAY too easily for my taste. I have since gone with the new Bose F1 system and they are working very well for me.

Correct. I originally purchased the EV EKX Subs first and did not like them. I then went to the ETX subs and did not like those. They limit WAY too easily for my taste. I have since gone with the new Bose F1 system and they are working very well for me.

Just a thought here but do you have a compressor in your signal chain (ahead of your subs/tops)? I have a dbx 166 which is in-line between mixer and speakers and it has eliminated every bit of limit lights for me. I used to stay puckered up, every time I'd see a yellow light flicker. Now my systems punch hard and no more blinkys.

Strange, as the specs on the ETX 15 seem to show a harder and lower hitting sub than the F1 .. I guess you can't rely on stats only.

No compressor in that system. Using a compressor would certainly eliminate the limit lights.

The EV ETX 15 is a single 15" woofer that is rated at 37 hz. and has a PEAK spl of 134db.

The Bose, while output power is much less wattage (1000 watts), can reach 40 hz and has a spl of 130db (not peak).

So, you are right that the ETX 15" woofer can go slightly lower than the Bose and may have a peak rating 4db more than the Bose ON PAPER, I let my ears do the work because, as you know, manufacturers can make the numbers say what they want. They have 800 more watts to push that woofer to an extra 4db, so it's not surprising that it can get louder. But, sound quality, I will go with the Bose any day.

I had the EV's and they were not great. They were good, not great. I had the Bose and think they are a great sounding system.

As an ETX user i can tell you that the limit lights DO come on extremely easy and i wish they would fix that because it's basically just letting you know the speaker is working according to EV. You aren't actually coming even close to the limit of the speaker. Sorry to hear this scared you away because i haven't met a powered sub yet that is more powerful and better sounding than ETX.

Reactions: Albatross
No compressor in that system. Using a compressor would certainly eliminate the limit lights.

The EV ETX 15 is a single 15" woofer that is rated at 37 hz. and has a PEAK spl of 134db.

The Bose, while output power is much less wattage (1000 watts), can reach 40 hz and has a spl of 130db (not peak).

So, you are right that the ETX 15" woofer can go slightly lower than the Bose and may have a peak rating 4db more than the Bose ON PAPER, I let my ears do the work because, as you know, manufacturers can make the numbers say what they want. They have 800 more watts to push that woofer to an extra 4db, so it's not surprising that it can get louder. But, sound quality, I will go with the Bose any day.

I had the EV's and they were not great. They were good, not great. I had the Bose and think they are a great sounding system.
According to Bose, the F1 sub SPL is 124db with a 130db PEAK ( https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...RiXAm37GR7OCnTwYg&sig2=Fv8gJRnJIl7d1-MD0rxl8w )

Reactions: Jeff Romard
As an ETX user i can tell you that the limit lights DO come on extremely easy and i wish they would fix that because it's basically just letting you know the speaker is working according to EV. You aren't actually coming even close to the limit of the speaker. Sorry to hear this scared you away because i haven't met a powered sub yet that is more powerful and better sounding than ETX.

You are right, according to my friend who is an EV rep, they should have 6 more DB before they are actually limiting. But, they don't. That makes no sense to me.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, they certainly sounded good. But, I do weddings. I don't need/want that size of a sub to carry around with me. I like a more non-traditional look.

If it sounds like I am bashing EV, I am not. They are great speakers. I just chose to go a different route. Some love the Bose and some love EV. To each his own. Both are great.

Okay, mis-read... sorry. They are still only 4db apart and 800 watts apart. Big difference.

You are right, according to my friend who is an EV rep, they should have 6 more DB before they are actually limiting. But, they don't. That makes no sense to me.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, they certainly sounded good. But, I do weddings. I don't need/want that size of a sub to carry around with me. I like a more non-traditional look.

If it sounds like I am bashing EV, I am not. They are great speakers. I just chose to go a different route. Some love the Bose and some love EV. To each his own. Both are great.

Okay, mis-read... sorry. They are still only 4db apart and 800 watts apart. Big difference.
No .. not much of a difference .. just wanted to correct where you said 130db (not peak) .. it's the engineer in me.

Are the ETX actually limiting or is it just the limit led showing? With a 15 vs a double 10, I would have expected a similar performance with the low octave going to the ETX and the thump going to the F1.

Reactions: djmagicmoments