Ev 1202

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

oldschool

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 25, 2018
I have a ev 1202 power amp on the way I picked up from GC pretty cheap. $189.99 delivered to my door.
It has one module on one channel M-218S.
This is the sub module for the QRx line.
I don't know if the one module will operate both channels or it may take a module on each channel.
Anyone have any information on this amp?
Thanks

Specs: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch - EV/P1201, P1202.pdf

Manual: ELECTRO-VOICE P1201 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Pdf Download. - (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/613703/Electro-Voice-P1201.html#product-P%201202)

Says: The P1202 dual channel amplifier delivers 600 watts per channel into 4 ohms. Equipped with two module slots, the P1202 drives either two completely independent signals, or a signal can be routed to both amplifier channels via a single module.

I have seen photos of the amp with and without modules. I have also seen them with just one module.
With no modules it's a linear amp (full range)
I'm assuming if only one module is used it can be routed to one mono (or summed) two channel or one channel using a module and the other channel with no module full range.
Is that anywhere close?

Specs: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch - EV/P1201, P1202.pdf

Manual: ELECTRO-VOICE P1201 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Pdf Download. - (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/613703/Electro-Voice-P1201.html#product-P%201202)

Says: The P1202 dual channel amplifier delivers 600 watts per channel into 4 ohms. Equipped with two module slots, the P1202 drives either two completely independent signals, or a signal can be routed to both amplifier channels via a single module.

The link you posted is the newer version of the P1202.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch - EV/QRx Series - Full Page.pdf

I thought there was just 1 gen of it .. but that's the only data I can find. I would pull the Xover card out and check under the hood.

My only concern is without a module there is no volume control.
With it, you get a fixed crossover for a specific speaker (in this case their double 18). Put a limiter in front of it and control the volume with the mixer.

With it, you get a fixed crossover for a specific speaker (in this case their double 18). Put a limiter in front of it and control the volume with the mixer.

Yes I'm aware of that. However having a volume control on the amp is handy. Some amps like to run full throttle and some don't.
I have 4 EV Q66's (first gen's) that put out more volume with the volume's set at -9db (about 10 o'clock).
I have 1 EV Q66 (second gen) that likes to run at full volume on the same line level source.
I also have 4 EV Q1212's that like to run at full volume on the same line level source.
The input sensitivity seems to be different depending on the amp.
I guess I'll find out when it gets here.

The EV - P1202 came in today. I'm just getting started testing it out but first impressions are good. After tinkering with it for a few min I was able to figure out how it's set and works. Really simple and exactly what I was expecting. With the module that came with it (M-218S), well let me back up just a min.
With no modules it's a strait two channel linear amp with no volume controls. I first tested it an a pair of EV T252+'s and it sounded good but being under powered for those speakers I hit the limiter pretty quickly, but they sounded good, no great. I then tried it on a pair of EV Eliminator double 15's and it sounds much better. Nice and clean and sounds the same as the EV Q66 power amps. The power rating is the same as the Q66 at 600w per channel at 4 ohms.
Now for the module, as I expected it's the module for subs. The way it works is it's a fixed xover circuit with a volume control. You can put in ether location, i.e channel A or B but it only controls one channel. On the module board is a switch that allows you to sum the inputs of both channels to the channel that has the module, leaving the other channel without a module full range. The xover slope is fixed with no adjustments. You would need 2 modules to run stereo subs.
The module is designed for the Qrx subs witch I don't have but I will test it out on my MTL's and see how it sounds, but I'm not holding my breath it will sound very good. It is under powered for my big subs but it's sounding really nice on the Eliminator double tops. I'm gonna also try it out on some EV T112's I use for monitors and see how it sounds pushing those. I'm expecting about the same results as running them with a Q66. Now I have 45 days to test it, punish it and see if it's worthy.:humble:

Reactions: ittigger
I did a little more looking and all the internals and components are laid out exactly the same as a first gen Q66 except with module slots.
The modules slid in nicely and click into place very nicely. The amp is supper clean and looks like it has very low hours on it. There is zero dust inside and the fan is supper quiet. It's quiet enough to make a good studio amp. The only down side, well two down sides. No volume control, but thats no big deal, and it can't be run in mono, stereo only.
I don't really need any of the modules because I don't have any of the Qrx line of speakers, I can simply run an active xover as with any other amp. But I'm gonna look as see if any of the modules are available and how much they are.
It's a nice clean durable amp that I got for a decent price. It's pretty much as I expected it to be and will fit in nicely with all my other EV gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
Unless you have access to 60A+ circuits, much better to use smaller amps that can run to different circuits as needed.

Yeah that may be an issue in many venues. They do make a 4x2500 watt version that would require a bit less AC power. I'm just thinking in terms of space and weight savings.

I am already running 4 Q1212 at 2x1200w each. They require a bit of juice to get them thumping.

I tried it in a different set up and it seems to work pretty good.
I set up a pair MTL's with a pair of eliminator doubles for tops. I ran the signal strait from the mixer to an EQ then to a Q66 to run the tops and ran XLR's from the Q66 to the P1202 and used the sub module with the sum button on the module pushed in.
It worked really good. I can run a system without using a xover at all. Surprisingly the MTL's sound really good with the xover settings in the module.
The MTL's like power and the P1202 is under powered for those subs but this set up would work good with a set of single 18's and a pair of single tops. I think we have a keeper!

Reactions: steve149
I ran one sub and two single 12 tops on just the P1202. I used the sub module on one channel and ran 2-12'' tops on the other.
It sounded great.