Equipment

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

oldschool

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 25, 2018
If you read my intro in the introduction section, then you know we started doing raves a year ago.
I wanted to post a list of my equipment in order to get opinions on how big of an event we can do with the system I have.
I know raves are all about the base.
Mains consist of 4 EV T252+ double 15 tops, Driven with 2 EV Q1212's
Subs are 4 EV MTL1x double subs driven with 2 more Q1212's
Side fills (monitors) are EV T221 driven with an EV P1250
I'm using a Pioneer DJM5000 mixer as a main board and the DJ's patch into it with what ever controllers they choose to use.
I'm using the DBX PA2 xover to get a handle the mains.
I also have 4 first gen Q66's that I sometimes use in mono to drive the subs instead of the 2 Q1212's. The Q66's in mono gives me a bit more head room then the Q1212's do.
For raves I just sit off to the side and run the main board and make sure the DJ's don't get too frisky with the volume. I let my promoter run everything else. Basically I'm just supplying the equipment and monitoring duty's.

With everyone dumping there old passive gear for powered gear, the used passive gear has become much more affordable.
How big of an event can this system handle? Indoors vs outdoors.
Thanks Dennis

Reactions: djcrazychris
From a "live sound" perspective, it's a nice rig. Should be able to do most band events inside/outside up to 500+ people with no issue.

For non band events, the gear size might be intimidating (especially for weddings). The 221s might be a good top for those events along with maybe a single MTL1. For raves, should be a killer setup. The 60 degree horns will throw longer, but you'll have a tougher time near the dance floor (I did with my live sound rig in the past).

Personally I don't care much for double 15s (or single 15s for that matter .. and I've had a few) .. the upper bass/mids out of a 15 aren't as clean as say a 8" or 10" top, so they aren't as clean when not at ear breaking volumes.

I do agree it's a good time to buy analog and passive .. lots of good gear at good prices.

From a "live sound" perspective, it's a nice rig. Should be able to do most band events inside/outside up to 500+ people with no issue.

For non band events, the gear size might be intimidating (especially for weddings). The 221s might be a good top for those events along with maybe a single MTL1. For raves, should be a killer setup. The 60 degree horns will throw longer, but you'll have a tougher time near the dance floor (I did with my live sound rig in the past).

Personally I don't care much for double 15s (or single 15s for that matter .. and I've had a few) .. the upper bass/mids out of a 15 aren't as clean as say a 8" or 10" top, so they aren't as clean when not at ear breaking volumes.

I do agree it's a good time to buy analog and passive .. lots of good gear at good prices.

We are not doing weddings, just live and raves.

Lots of good deals on passive gear now.
Any tops I buy in the future will most likely be powered and as that happens my amps will increasingly be relegated to doing sub duty only.
In that same vein, I just grabbed a pair of used JBL SRX718 passives in great shape for $800 CAD for the pair!:)

Lots of good deals on passive gear now.
Any tops I buy in the future will most likely be powered and as that happens my amps will increasingly be relegated to doing sub duty only.
In that same vein, I just grabbed a pair of used JBL SRX718 passives in great shape for $800 CAD for the pair!:)
Nice score .. that's, what, like $199 US these days .. :)

I'm still running passive, basically for lighter weight. My next acquisition (when Parts Express has a sale) will probably be Celestion CDX1-1731 neodymium magnet horn drivers for my 12" neo woofer tops. It should sound better (might have to tweak the xover), but it should also bring the weight to just under 20 pounds per top.
My 15" neo magnet subs are the heaviest things I move, about 40 pounds each. I actually could have made the subs lighter when I built them, but since I run tops over subs, it would have been a stability issue.

However, no question active is better for most - there is probably a lot less speakers being destroyed these days.

I'm still running passive, basically for lighter weight. My next acquisition (when Parts Express has a sale) will probably be Celestion CDX1-1731 neodymium magnet horn drivers for my 12" neo woofer tops. It should sound better (might have to tweak the xover), but it should also bring the weight to just under 20 pounds per top.
My 15" neo magnet subs are the heaviest things I move, about 40 pounds each. I actually could have made the subs lighter when I built them, but since I run tops over subs, it would have been a stability issue.

However, no question active is better for most - there is probably a lot less speakers being destroyed these days.

As with anything both have pro's and con's. My biggest pet pev with powered speakers is if the amp or DSP goes out the box is useless unless modified to run on an out board amp. Most don't have that option and I don't see why they don't. It would be simple to have a switch that bypasses the internal amp so the cab can still be used as a passive cab.
I guess the best improvement I made was switching xovers and running a DBX PA2. I actually have 2 PA2 units now. I can run a full FOH mix and a full zone mix. Man that little xover is awesome. I hope but doubt DBX will update there presets to include boxes that old.
I built this system slowly buying mostly used gear. It's old, it's heavy, but for the money it's still a slamin system.
I do have a smaller system, all EV of course. I had a pair of EV eliminator doubles that I bought many years ago, and I bought 8 eliminator single subs real cheap, like 400 bucks for all 8 subs. I'm thinking about using the drivers and building some better boxes. Those eliminator single boxes kinda suck. There ok if you put some power in them but there design stinks.

Was this your system?

10d8w45.jpg

I'd post some pics but I just got this PC today and it's got nothing on it yet. I had to replace my old dinosaur frankin clone my nephew built for me years ago.

Reactions: ittigger