EMB EB51L VHF Lavalier Microphone System

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
So, I was surfing Amazon the other day and decided to see if this company made a lavaliere dual microphone version of the cheap wireless mics we use for our podcast. My buddy purchased a wireless system from Amazon for the podcast about a year ago. He told me he only spent $34 on the system. We used the system at a couple of mobile podcast events and I was impressed with the range of the system (We were able to record from another room through a wall/closed door and over 75 feet from the receiver box one time), and really thought that for the price, the microphones have a nice sound to them (They don't sound like cheap $34 mics should). So I went on Amazon the other day to see if they make a lavaliere system...They do. Only $32.99, so I decided to purchase.

The set came in today, and first impression - I am really impressed. For being just about the cheapest lavalier system I can find besides the ROCKVILLE ones, these are pretty good.

I noticed the build quality of the transmitter boxes is actually more sturdy than my $83 NADY Lavalier system. They feel like they can take more of a beating, and not flimsy. The battery contacts in the transmitter boxes are much more firm as well.

I tested the sound quality, and the microphones don't have the "tinty" sound that the NADY mics have as well. The sound quality is actually okay. The mics are not as sensitive though. They are not nearly as sensitive as the SHURE BLX, The microphone can't be placed as far low on the shirt/tie as the SHURE BLX can be placed, but overall, not a big deal as long as the user projects their voice, and isn't a quiet talker.

RANGE: This is what really impresses me. I bought this figuring at best I might get a 40 to 50 foot signal range. ...I was able to get MUCH BETTER. I set this up outside. I walked around my yard which is up to about 60 feet, and had perfect signal (and quiet...no interference or weird sounds). I decided to walk across the street, and down a small hill...I STILL HAD SIGNAL STRENGTH AT ROUGHLY 200 FEET AWAY. I was VERY IMPRESSED with the range on this system. For a $32.99 system, it's a great buy imo.

Now, of course in a real world application at a ceremony, and being behind the entire audience, and the officiant wearing the transmitter box under their suit or under a robe, that's going to change the resulting range, BUT for direct line of site outdoors, the signal is strong with this one!

For anybody who wants a cheap back up system, or extra lavaliere microphones to use, I am totally recommending this system. Comparing this to my $83 NADY system, I would say this is as at least as good overall, and perhaps better built to boot. 20171204_164238.jpg

...I'm thinking about doing a Lavaliere Microphone Comparison/Shoot Out video between all 4 systems that I have. Testing sound quality, signal strength, and showing the differences in a outdoor setting.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
...I'm thinking about doing a Lavaliere Microphone Comparison/Shoot Out video between all 4 systems that I have. Testing sound quality, signal strength, and showing the differences in a outdoor setting.
you should probably put a quality one in there to show people what excellent is versus okay
I would not trust broadcasting some of the most important words some might ever speak to okay equipment

Actually, something can be said about the Frozen Microphone. Disney wouldn't put their logo on just any piece of junk! ... :D

There are advantages to VHF band wireless microphones . One being the signal strength and range.

I have had issues with SHURE BLX cutting out while a VHF band NADY from another person in the wedding party was coming in fine. Many users don't want to hear "Oh, well that is a bottom tier SHURE line, that's why the signal strength isn't that good sometimes..." ...I say BS, and customers won't care what "tier" the product is. If they are getting a better result with a $80 system compared to a $299 system (or a $549 since I have a combo unit) when it comes to signal strength, then the customer will certainly frown upon that...and which system looks like the BETTER VALUE?

At some point one just needs to say NO ... experience tells us you get what you pay for .. over and over.

I have no issue with value, but at some point it just shrieks "cheap" ... might as well come in with one of these:

505286?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1.jpg

But too each their own I suppose ...

Reactions: ittigger
Actually, something can be said about the Frozen Microphone. Disney wouldn't put their logo on just any piece of junk! ... :D

There are advantages to VHF band wireless microphones . One being the signal strength and range.

I have had issues with SHURE BLX cutting out while a VHF band NADY from another person in the wedding party was coming in fine. Many users don't want to hear "Oh, well that is a bottom tier SHURE line, that's why the signal strength isn't that good sometimes..." ...I say BS, and customers won't care what "tier" the product is. If they are getting a better result with a $80 system compared to a $299 system (or a $549 since I have a combo unit) when it comes to signal strength, then the customer will certainly frown upon that...and which system looks like the BETTER VALUE?

When it comes to products for sale, Disney will put their name on anything you'll buy - junk or not.

Reactions: SEDJ
When it comes to products for sale, Disney will put their name on anything you'll buy - junk or not.
Like anything Giants related :)

515a85943e--mickey-mouse-figurines-new-york-giants.jpg

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Alto speakers which are okay and okay mics hire me I’m an okay DJ with okay gear

Well in reality unless it doesn't work most aren't going to know or care

That's exactly why I quit using my AT VHF mic there is no signal strength or range. I got a great deal on it from a friend and it was a nice sounding mic for the first 25 feel line of sight. It was usually OK outside

Reactions: ittigger
BTW, here was a funny review on Amazon for the dual mics ....

default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.jpg
sarah
1.0 out of 5 starsOne Star
December 21, 2016
Verified Purchase
Horrible, it sounds like you selling vegetables in a third world country.

BTW, here was a funny review on Amazon for the dual mics ....

default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.jpg
sarah
1.0 out of 5 starsOne Star
December 21, 2016
Verified Purchase
Horrible, it sounds like you selling vegetables in a third world country.
I did not know selling veggies in a 3rd world country had a sound, but, the more you know........

Our podcasts are made with the EMB Wireless microphones. They sound pretty good imo.
Well in reality unless it doesn't work most aren't going to know or care

That's exactly why I quit using my AT VHF mic there is no signal strength or range. I got a great deal on it from a friend and it was a nice sounding mic for the first 25 feel line of sight. It was usually OK outside

My Dad and brother had a Audio Technica hand held wireless mic back in the 90s. They both had the same one. They both liked them. They were VHF as well. We jumped to Vocopro mics after the Audio Technicas took a crap. I think we were into Vocopro for a number of years. I am pretty sure my Dad never purchased a SHURE Mic, or any UHF band system in all his years. ...and the VHF band was much more crowded back in the 80s, 90s with CB Radios, TV channels etc.

As far as Audio Technica's cheaper line of mics...Someone told me that they purposely built their low end mics with very limited transmitters so that customers would step up to more expensive UHF band mic systems they sell. I hope that isn't true, but probably no way to verify that. ...My Dad and bro liked their AT VHF mics they had back in the day, but perhaps they never had instances where someone was using the phone really far from the receiver at all the gigs they did as well.

.....Today, the VHF band is much more quiet which is probably why I have generally been having good experiences with VHF mics in terms of signal strength.

Our podcasts are made with the EMB Wireless microphones. They sound pretty good imo.

My Dad and brother had a Audio Technica hand held wireless mic back in the 90s. They both had the same one. They both liked them. They were VHF as well. We jumped to Vocopro mics after the Audio Technicas took a crap. I think we were into Vocopro for a number of years. I am pretty sure my Dad never purchased a SHURE Mic, or any UHF band system in all his years. ...and the VHF band was much more crowded back in the 80s, 90s with CB Radios, TV channels etc.

As far as Audio Technica's cheaper line of mics...Someone told me that they purposely built their low end mics with very limited transmitters so that customers would step up to more expensive UHF band mic systems they sell. I hope that isn't true, but probably no way to verify that. ...My Dad and bro liked their AT VHF mics they had back in the day, but perhaps they never had instances where someone was using the phone really far from the receiver at all the gigs they did as well.

.....Today, the VHF band is much more quiet which is probably why I have generally been having good experiences with VHF mics in terms of signal strength.

If I recall it is an ATW 801 that I have (I'd check but it's out on loan right now)...Not top of the line but somewhere in the middle. i believe they went new for about $350 or $400 up here at the time I picked it up from this friend of mine that was dumping gear for $75. It seemed if there was a router in the room it lost range and if there was bodies directly in the line of sight same thing

If anyone wants to buy it I'd be willing to part with it lol

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
If I recall it is an ATW 801 that I have (I'd check but it's out on loan right now)...Not top of the line but somewhere in the middle. i believe they went new for about $350 or $400 up here at the time I picked it up from this friend of mine that was dumping gear for $75. It seemed if there was a router in the room it lost range and if there was bodies directly in the line of sight same thing

If anyone wants to buy it I'd be willing to part with it lol

I have a VocoPro UHF3205 Rechargeable system I don't use any more, and 1 of the mics do not function. I purchased a replacement mic, and the replacement doesn't work either, so I am assuming one side of the receiver box died. ...One mic out of the 3 I have for it still works...I'd give it away to free to someone if they wanted it. Just pay shipping. ...I got more than my money's worth out of the system as I had it in use for a solid 9 years before it went down hill.