Dominos Self Driving Pizza Delivery Car

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
Dominos is using a Self Driving Pizza Car. ...It looks like this was introduced a while back, but they are now using it at some locations! Looks like as time marches on, more jobs will be replaced by technology. ...That is as long as these self driving cars don't cause accidents or run someone over. I bet 5 or 6 years from now virtually every location will have at least one of these cars assuming again that there are not any major problems

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BEugKgdrxU

Here is a video of the very first roll out about 13 months ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANXIPxN1ME

Well is this a case of trying to take something really complex and not really practical in congested areas. In a more rural area it will be too expensive to justify the cost. When a couple of people/kids get hit and then insurance spikes you see that person behind the wheel who can bring it to your door. Now if there where, no people in the street, organized traffic, no construction, no detours and/or all the vehicles under some organized control then it might work. It would be like the aviation Industry but even though most of the large airliners can literally fly themselves there is still a pilot and a co-pilot in the cockpit. Today I'm driving there is a accident ahead the police officer makes eye contact with drivers directing them around the scene. How is this self driving car going to handle this, I know it will stop. Will follow hand instructions or will you to call domino's to have the car moved around. That just one case of the regularly Inconsistent things you have to deal with driving in traffic. So trust me some kid will be still delivering your pizza for seeable future. You may not remember but they tried having automated robots deliver stuff locally in the city before it didn't quite work out .

Does that reduce the cost of a pizza? Not likely. The cost of the car and the tech, that goes along with it can't possibly be cheaper then minimum wage. Sending autonomous machines out into the world is just asking for trouble. It's already been tried though I don't remember the case exactly but there was already a case where a self driving car hit and killed a woman crossing the street. I think it will ever catch on and there just experamenting with a new toy. I would order if thats how it was going to be delivered.

The accident in which an autonomous car killed a woman resulted in an undisclosed settlement from Uber to the family, because Uber had disabled the systems ability to prevent the accident and the driver (who is there to prevent accidents) was not paying attention. The car was aware of the woman as much as 6 seconds before hitting her - but it had no way to stop from hitting her.

The accident in which an autonomous car killed a woman resulted in an undisclosed settlement from Uber to the family, because Uber had disabled the systems ability to prevent the accident and the driver (who is there to prevent accidents) was not paying attention. The car was aware of the woman as much as 6 seconds before hitting her - but it had no way to stop from hitting her.

Thats the one. I couldn't remember. There are just to many unpredictable situations for driver-less cars to handle. Computers don't have a gut feeling to know or read someone's possible intentions. Yes it can see someone standing on the side of the road and avoid them, but it can't read human nature. It can't see that the person looks excited or lethargic or is stumbling around or is acting iratic. It can only react after the fact.

I did a little investigating into how the autonomous systems work a year ago. It turns out that for more data from the sensors is taking in but not used. Reason being if it was all used the system/car would not go anywhere. Now if on the highways if all cars were under computer control that type of system would work. You've seen these types of transportation systems in the movies before. But there isn't a snowballs chance in hell most would give up control of their vehicle for a whole number of reasons .

But there so much crazy stuff being worked on like the flying autonomous drone cars. Really? There is a whole bunch of reasons why in populated areas they don't allow you land your helicopter in your backyard or fly drones all over the neighborhood. But we do have flying cars now would you could drive down to the airport and takeoff IMG_4250.jpg

I wont even buy a car that has active driver control. I don't want some computer making life or death decisions for me. I don't want a computor jamming on the breaks on the freeway when a plastic bag blows across the road and that 18 wheeler runs over me. No thanks.

Before it can be a true delivery vehicle, they have to teach the car to do a few things...

1- How to double park in the worst possible places.
2- How to play the radio REAL LOUD
3- How to drive like a douchebag

And I wonder....

does this mean you don't have to leave a tip?
what if you live in apartment...or a gated community?
what if you give the address of the middle of the local lake?
what if there is cop directing traffic on the route to your house?

I wont even buy a car that has active driver control. I don't want some computer making life or death decisions for me. I don't want a computor jamming on the breaks on the freeway when a plastic bag blows across the road and that 18 wheeler runs over me. No thanks.

I understand your perspective on believing that an automated car can't be trusted but from everything I've read, driver-less cars have a magnitudes lower number on crash statistics. If the technology is proven to be safer then I'll take it.

Reactions: ittigger
I understand your perspective on believing that an automated car can't be trusted but from everything I've read, driver-less cars have a magnitudes lower number on crash statistics. If the technology is proven to be safer then I'll take it.

I was a truck driver for over 30 years with zero accidents and zero tickets or fines. I have over a million miles under my belt with an outstanding safety record. I agree some people have no buisness driving and I would put a computers skills over there's any day. But I will also say there are a lot of very good drivers that don't want or need a computor driving for us.

Cite your source(s).

These cars have never been tested in truely real world conditions. Dropped these cars off in NYC or where live in the Suburbs and between all the pedestrian crossings, crossing guards, detours, congestion and general chaos on the roads. I guarantee you that the car will come to a stop. Probably the most scary thing is when the car is coming at you, you can’t make eye contact with a driver so you won’t know if it sees and recognizes you. Will it stop, turn, how small of object will it recognize? A lot of the tech is finding it way into the newer car to assist the driver that’s great. I just missed out on those. It a uncomplicated environment they would work but with all of the different interactions (people, cars, trucks, bikes, Motorcycles & animals ) the real world isn’t that simple driving.

Last edited:
They are testing these cars in real world scenarios. Google has been testing autonomous cars for years on city streets - first in CA and then it went to DC. Where else, I'm not sure - but they are testing them in real world scenarios with real world traffic and obstructions.

I trust these self-driving cars FAR MORE than the ones being driven by texting, makeup-applying, shaving, newspaper-reading drivers.

The current state of technology says that even with Active Driving, the person sitting in the driver seat must be paying attention and overrides all computer functions. With this specific scenario, the woman was detected at 6 seconds out, first identified as an unknown object, then as a vehicle, and then as a bicycle - each time the vehicle adjusted its expectations for her path of travel. 1 second before impact, the vehicle knew that an emergency braking maneuver was needed - but Uber does not allow this to happen on its own - instead Uber relies on the driver to watch the road and take control when trouble arises.