Dodged A Bullet...Samsung Galaxy Note 7 On Massive Recall

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I've used Bose, Apple, and Windows products. I haven't used Android because I like my personal information as secure as possible.

Bose is a lot of marketing and it's also a lot of R&D, just like Apple. I had a Bose L1 with two of the B1 modules. For smaller rooms it was just fine. I liked it because it fit in my car and it sounded pretty good. As I started working bigger rooms I switched to my current JBL SRX800 rig as it was the better tool for the job. I won't bash Bose because they do make tools that work well for some people, including myself.

I used to build Windows PC's until XP came out and MS wouldn't let me change a motherboard without letting them know about it. So I thought "If they are going to try to control everything like Apple, might as well try Apple." While MS never did end up controlling as much as I thought they would, I ended up loving OS9 and I've never looked back. I still have one Dell with Windows 10 and I absolutely despise it. The OS is constantly in the way of what I want to do. I only have it for the touch screen feature in anticipation of running Martin M-PC with an M-Touch and M-Play for my DMX control.

I've always used an iPhone because I was a Mac guy when they first came out. I was slightly interested in Android when it came out, but I wasn't impressed by any of the hardware it ran on at the time. Over the years Android has become too fragmented for me to consider using. Google can release a software update to fix a security concern and you may never get it because it has to go through the handset maker first and then to the carrier. Very often it happens months later or never at all. With how much personal information is on my phone, including credit card info with ApplePay, I will not compromise security for the ability to easily change my ringtone or whatever else Android can do easier than iOS.

I personally don't mind the restrictions on any Apple product as long as the trade-off is ease of use and security. If those two things go downhill I may change my mind. So far Apple is doing a bang-up job on both.

I use a Mac for all the DJ playback. Most DJ's in my area use cheap PCs and question why I would spend so much on a Mac. I depreciate my equipment appropriately and I price in the cost of the equipment into my rates. As long as my clients are happy and I'm making money what difference does it make?

All it boils down to is if you think it is the right tool for the job you are trying to do. No need to bash anything as overpriced or over-marketed.
I would love to use a Mac to DJ however I am old I need a 17 inch screen

Reactions: steve149
I would really like to try a Mac .. I would like one that is upgradeable though .. outside of Apple .. I don't need, or want, thin and light .. unlike my phone or maybe my tablets. My DJ machine needs to be stable, so a little heft isn't a bad thing, which means it could easily have RAM sockets and an M.2 slot and SATA. All their new machines have soldered in memory and only the most basic unit has changeable drives (since it is the only one with a harddrive option).

And DJ software can't really use a Retina Display .. so it's a waste of money.

Reactions: ittigger
I would really like to try a Mac .. I would like one that is upgradeable though .. outside of Apple .. I don't need, or want, thin and light .. unlike my phone or maybe my tablets. My DJ machine needs to be stable, so a little heft isn't a bad thing, which means it could easily have RAM sockets and an M.2 slot and SATA. All their new machines have soldered in memory and only the most basic unit has changeable drives (since it is the only one with a harddrive option).

And DJ software can't really use a Retina Display .. so it's a waste of money.

Lots of DJs are hoarding the 2012 model MacBook Pros. They were still upgradable on your own, had CD drives, and were generally excellent machines. I'm still on a 2011 model that I've suped up largely for the same reasons. When they started taking USB ports and CD drives away it became annoying. But, I still love the stability.

I like the 21.5 I need to figure out a mounting solution and to find out if the are built to travel as well as a laptop, the case is too expensive I see there are some soft bags I think that is what I would prefer
Can always tuck the Mac away and run a cable out to a larger monitor and keyboard.

thanks I may start ordering things
Might want to think about a Mac Mini with a monitor as an option as well .. same capabilities and options for the monitor.

Looks like those that waited dodged an even bigger bullet than originally thought:
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners told to turn off device - BBC News

Looks like I will be waiting for the Note 8.
I didn't really care which os I was on, I just wanted the bigger screen and to see what the capabilities of the stylus input were like.
LG has a couple of them but the North American versions only have 2gb ram.

If Apple offered a 5.7" screen and stylus type input device I wouldn't have to wait or have to consider switching to Android at all.

Reactions: Scott Hanna
Lots of DJs are hoarding the 2012 model MacBook Pros. They were still upgradable on your own, had CD drives, and were generally excellent machines. I'm still on a 2011 model that I've suped up largely for the same reasons. When they started taking USB ports and CD drives away it became annoying. But, I still love the stability.

Stay away from the 15" and 17" ones, UNLESS they have the upgraded graphics board that doesn't overheat. There was recall on these, but I think it is no longer available.

Whoops - reading this it looks like Apple has extended it to December 31 -
MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues - Apple Support

Last edited:
Maybe Apple will certify the Apple Pencil on the iPhone 7 plus .. and you'll have a stylus .. AND .. a better phone .. :)

I can't fathom spending $700 on a phone.

I"m getting old maybe...that's more than my first 3 cars cost..or any 2 of them combined.
it's more than any of my laptops (we have 4 in the household).
We have 3 TVs..and that's more than 2 of them.
it's more than the fridge or stove I just bought.

I can do the same thing, maybe with a bit less camera, for under $200..and I'm not happy spending that.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
I can't fathom spending $700 on a phone.

That's because you're like me - we're not "normal". Take a look around you - "Normal" people live on their phone... I mean LIVE. The only time my wife is not on her iphone is when she's driving, when she is sleeping, or when we're fooling around - and I'm starting to doubt that last one!