DMX or NOT to DMX

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Okay, it arrived Friday.
I watched a few "how to" videos and fiddled with it for about an hour...
and managed to make three programs for my Starburst!
Sunday morning, I got the ADJ Dotz Tpar out, added it as fixture number 2.
But I haven't been able to get it to obey the Obey.
I tried plugging it into the Obey directly, with and without a terminator,
I turned the REMOTE CONTROL function off and played with the DMX mode (set address and number of channels)
and I can't even get it to light up with a single color.

Anyone out there control their ADJ Dotz with a DMX controller?
(hardware not software)
Anyone willing to offer some advice?

I'd love to arrange a phone call so I can be walked thru the process.

Mike, it sounds like an addressing issue or maybe its not in dmx mode?

Make sure you are giving appropriate channels for device number 1 - device number 2 should not overstep device number 1. Also make sure you are selecting device 2 from the controller.

Mike, it sounds like an addressing issue or maybe its not in dmx mode?

Make sure you are giving appropriate channels for device number 1 - device number 2 should not overstep device number 1. Also make sure you are selecting device 2 from the controller.

I had the Starburst as device 1, the Dotz as device 2.
The Dotz has several modes (DMX, sound active, etc)
I went to the one marked DMX, selected the address as #2 (Starburst was 1) and then you can choose how many channels.
I chose device 2 on the Obey. But could not get the Dotz to do anything.
The Starburst scenes I set up the night before still worked fine.

If you feel you know it well enough, would you be up for a phone call sometime?

I'm no expert but I can certainly try to help. How many channels is the Starburst? How many channels for the Dotz?

You do know that Fixture 1 automatically takes up channels 1-16, right? This means Fixture 2 will take up 17-32 - and Dotz should be addressed as 017.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ausumm and steve149
Yes .. the 2nd fixture needs to have a starting address at 17 .. the 3rd at 33 .. etc.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
PHASE TWO COMPLETE!

Next question...
I have a few Starburst programs on SCENES 1 thru 3
I have a few for the Dotz on SCENES 5 thru 7
But it is only playing ONE scene at a time
(ie: the Starburst turns OFF when I turn one of the Dotz scenes ON)

Also, I tried to set up a scene for SOUND ACTIVE on the Dotz, and the colors do not change,
even though I have sound sensitivity all the way up.
(or at least I think I do...)
I set up a SOUND ACTIVE scene for the Starburst and it works with a simple "tap" on the base.

For a given Scene, you have to set it exactly as you want it - with whatever fixtures on - that becomes Scene 1. Same for Scene 2, etc, etc. Putting them together becomes a Playback or Chase.

I don't know what your exact fixtures do but for example:

Scene 1:
Starburst - dim red slow spin backwards
Dotz - green slow pulsing

Scene 2:
Starburst - bright blue fast spin forwards
Dotz - red fast pulsing

From the manual:
Scene playback triggers a specific scene or scenes for playback. A scene can be triggered manually by pressing a scene button, and it will stay selected until another scene is triggered. Scenes in a bank can be played one after another in a loop with timing set by the <Speed Time> and <Fade Time> faders, or the <Tap Sync/Display> button, or by music. The LCD display shows the current scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve149
Yep, for a given scene, you set everything you want, the way you want it. Scene 2 becomes the next step in the program. Etc, etc.

Any idea how to make SOUND ACTIVE work?
I found that it uses channel 5 for sound sensitivity when channel 4 is set in a particular range.
I have channel 4 within that range, but it does not respond to sound

Looks like you need to build a bank / chase - which is simply a set of scenes.

Music chase playback is triggering one or more chases to play back with the length of the scenes set by the timing of the music and the scene to scene fade time set by <Fade Time>. The general instructions for music scene playback are as follows:

To playback all the scenes in bank 3, with timing set by the music:
1. Press <Music/Bank Copy> to put the board in music playback mode. The Music Trigger indicator comes on.
2. Use the chase buttons to select the chase that will be played back.
3. Use <Fade Time> to set the fade time between scenes.

EDIT - Correction:

Music Scene playback is the triggering an entire bank of 8 scenes to play in order in a loop, in other words, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 1, 2, and so on, with the length of the scenes set by the timing of the music and the scene-to-scene fade time set by <Fade Time>. The general instructions for Music Scene playback are as follows:

1. Press <Music/Bank Copy> to put the board in Music Playback mode - and the Music Trigger indicator comes on.
2. Use the bank buttons to select the bank of scene that will be played back.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a matter of chasing,
because chasing is simply a way to rotate thru several scenes.
The Obey has channels for various color fades,
which can be associated with sound active mode. (channel 4)
It says at the bottom that while in the range of sound active,
channel 5 can adjust the sensitivity.

Untitled.jpg

EDIT - Correction:

Music Scene playback is the triggering an entire bank of 8 scenes to play in order in a loop, in other words, scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 1, 2, and so on, with the length of the scenes set by the timing of the music and the scene-to-scene fade time set by <Fade Time>. The general instructions for Music Scene playback are as follows:

1. Press <Music/Bank Copy> to put the board in Music Playback mode - and the Music Trigger indicator comes on.
2. Use the bank buttons to select the bank of scene that will be played back.

Yeah, I guess it won't work for me.
I don't want to rotate ALL of the scenes in a bank.
I just want to apply the trigger to ONE scene.

You've been a big help, my friend.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions.
You guys rock!
(as always)

Reactions: ittigger
I think you lost me - a Scene is a specific configuration for some look. If you're looking for that one setup, then you just press the Scene button for that Scene. 'Sound Active' dances through the Scenes.

Last edited: