DMX DMX Lighting Software

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

jaswrx

DJ Extraordinaire
Feb 15, 2015
I currently just use a obey 40 controllers to activate pre-programmed macros, and adjust dimmer and speed via the controller for my dance lights. It works really well.

I have also recently started messing around with saved scenes to only show particular colors and then created a chase so it runs through all the scenes.

Chauvet Core Pars are the lights I am using.

I also run the controller for Up-Lighting and the problem I am having is if I run a chase for the dance lights, I can't access the Up-lights. I mean, I kind of can, but as soon as I click off the fixture to go to the next uplight fixture, the first one goes off. I have to be in the Programming mode to really control them, which then shuts off the chase, so I can't do both.

The other way would be to program the uplight fixtures as part of the scenes created for the Core Par dance lighting so that when it chased, the up-lights would "keep" for each scene, but there is no way to adjust the color if needed throughout the night, and there lies the problem. I am stuck with how I set them into the scene. Not to mention, saving the color(s) for the uplighting for 8 scenes is rather annoying.

After talking with Chauvet, it seems that there is just a limitation in hardware controllers and software will allow me to do what I want.

Besides the obvious, Show Xpress, should I look at any other apps. Sound Switch looks cool, but doesn't seem to allow basic operation like a traditional app would.

I am not going to get into it, but i don't give my money to blizzard, so there is that. I hope the company goes under.

Had the worse experience of my DJ career dealing with them and lost a lot money. They went against their word, couldn't own up, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Was forced to sell their crap product.

The software is PC only as well :(

I can't remember of course, but a lot of the clubs I used to DJ uses a really simple software that kind of reminds me of the blizzard one. If someone mentioned, I would remember... And no, it's not light jockey. This was super user-friendly and simple to the eye.

do u program your uplights in to match with your preprogrammed scenes and chases? i would recommend utilizing one bank of scenes that is a simple static uplight scene.... use that as your static uplights for dinner...etc... make it bank 1.... then u can hop in and program it for any color u want at the begining of the night... that leaves you the other 29 banks to program exactly what you want the uplights to do to color match and go with your other effect lighting... then throw those 29 banks into chases you can access on the fly for whatever mood you need... i use an obey 70 and love it.....and i have my facade lights...uplights... moving heads ...etc....all preprogrammed in color themed banks that all compliment each other and run seamlessly while im busy spinning... and with one touch of a button i can change the mood

cc

maybe I am doing something wrong, but I sat there with Chauvet and tried to get it to work, and they said it won't work with the obey 40.

Do you have some time to chat this afternoon? Would love to walk this
through with you...

maybe I am doing something wrong, but I sat there with Chauvet and tried to get it to work, and they said it won't work with the obey 40.

Do you have some time to chat this afternoon? Would love to walk this
through with you...

sorry had to run some errands...but im here now.... just private message me any questions!

i have the obey 70...but figured the obey 40 was quite similar

cc

Reactions: ittigger and jaswrx
So after doing some more playing and talking to Chris, it appears I cannot do what I want unless I upgrade to software, which to be honest is shocking and not what I was expecting. I have another wireless dmx board that I can use to control the up-lights. So that’s the cheap solution especially since i already own it. Just didn’t want to bring another controller just for up-lights as i wanted all in one board.