DMX DMX Hardware Thread

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Like Jeff, I understand it and have no issues setting up sequences. Again, based on what I have done and seen, 'their' shows are better than mine.

I'm listening to Tyrone teach though - and learn the pieces I missed and learn how it could help me. Maybe I can do better than they do. :)

Last edited:
SETTING UP YOUR CONTROLLER

This next lesson explains using your controller. Anyone... let me know if the addressing section was properly explained. When I first wrote the book, I did this section first, then moved on to addressing... but this should actually come after addressing.

Attachments

• Page 11.jpg
    Page 11.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 10
  • Page 12.jpg
    Page 12.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Page 13.jpg
    Page 13.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: ittigger
You need to turn off the fixture button on the first fixture, so that you are not sending new signals to it when setting the second fixture. Once you have them both where you want them, you need to "record" that scene. I will be explaining that as I get further into this.

Ahh ok, that makes sense, I kind figured that was the reason, I cant do scene's with the 10, only chases.

I do wish there were affordable boards with flying faders. It took me a while to get used to switching to a new fixture (or even switching banks) and then trying to remember where I left the faders at. Kind of limits what you can do on the fly. I guess another reason to go software.

SETTING UP YOUR CONTROLLER

This next lesson explains using your controller. Anyone... let me know if the addressing section was properly explained. When I first wrote the book, I did this section first, then moved on to addressing... but this should actually come after addressing.

The addressing made sense to me, but I had a little background with it already anyways.

What Steve said... 256 positions. Ahhh what's one between friends.

Dan... I'll split it with you if you want to do that... thanks!

I don't want to split it. It's your hard work and I know it's more of a labor of love for you than anything. We'll do something like a 20-25% for me creating and maintaining the website. Unfortunately, my registrar wants a ridiculous fee to get dmxbook.com back so we'll figure out another domain. I'll get in touch with you over the weekend and we'll hammer out details.

Reactions: Tyrone Blue
MORE CONTROLLER SETTINGS

When you have the correct address set on your fixture, and a DMX cable running from your controller to the fixture... AND a "terminator" (not Arnold) connected to the last fixture in the daisy chain, you are ready to begin...

I've drawn these examples because I know some people are prone to learning better with a picture, rather than a description. Please let me know if it's working for you!

Attachments

• Page 14.jpg
    Page 14.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Page 15.jpg
    Page 15.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 10
I have 45 pages in the book... I'll go on to the next few pages when those following so far, are understanding what I'm writing.

NEXT UP IN HARDWARE DMX

I'm gratified ittigger... I only wish more than one person was "trackin". Having said that, if only one person "gets this", then, I'm trackin' with this too. OK... here I go again.

Attachments

• Page 16.jpg
    Page 16.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Page 17.jpg
    Page 17.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 6
  • page 18.jpg
    page 18.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier... I wrote this book so that a person with the interest, but without the technical knowledge, would be able to comprehend and put the information to use in programming with success. I know that I am "redundant" with information, but try to present it in words and pictures so that your brain will look at this information in different ways. Some people are "right brain" and some are "left brain". It took me 10 months of "playing" to understand the subject... and I hope this information will give you that same understanding in only a few days.

So, in anticipation of this question, I will give you a HINT... You may ask: "If I want all of my four (similar) fixtures to do the same thing at the same time, why shouldn't I give them all the same address"?

NO! While they will all do the same thing, you are LIMITING them from individuality doing it this way. If you want them all to do the same thing at the same time... simply activate the 4 fixture buttons that they are addressed to. By doing it this way, you are sending out the same signal to 4 different fixtures. As you move slider 1, you are sending out signals on channel 1;17;33 & 49 all at the same time. If you understand this... you are almost ready to program! If you don't understand this... ask questions!

Last edited:
Well, "It depends". Did that help?

If your wash lights are all the same color, then feel free to assign them all one address to save channel room. If you have more addresses that you want to assign, than you have channels on the controller, then "group" your wash lights.

If, however, you have fewer than 12 fixtures (and, you're not "cheating" - I'll explain that), or your wash lights DON'T need to change or chase, then, feel free to group them.
But, look at these videos, and watch my uplights. It's nice to allow them to work independently from the others. You will notice that at about 1:40 in the second video, the lights chase different colors. I couldn't find the video I was looking for to exemplify that, but that's how it works.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEI9jHHFGns

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqeCTdWP7U

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger and SEDJ
Now, as I've mentioned earlier, this can be done with hardware... but, it is TIME intensive, and will take lots of time to program. With software, this can be done in a couple of minutes, rather than hours. With hardware, and assigning each fixture it's own address, you can accomplish this. In "Cheating" mode, you can assign each of these pars to one page each, on fixture button one. These are 7 channel pars... so, par #1 is addressed on DMX channel one. Par #2 is assigned to DMX channel 9. In cheating mode, you can now control 24, seven channel fixtures. Keep in mind, that I haven't explained "cheating" yet.

Now, you might ask... "why channel 9 instead of the open channel 8'? Good question! I do it that way because "turning the page" is more effective that using channel 8, then, turning the page for channels 9 through 14. You still have two un-utilized channels and leaving channel 8 blank is simpler and more time efficient. It allows you to use the first slider for the same function in all of the fixtures.

My belief is that this is the reason why so many DJs don't want to use DMX... it takes lots of time to program. But, once you have it in the controller, you're done. As always... understand?

Last edited:
So, in anticipation of this question, I will give you a HINT... You may ask: "If I want all of my four (similar) fixtures to do the same thing at the same time, why shouldn't I give them all the same address"?

NO! While they will all do the same thing, you are LIMITING them from individuality doing it this way. If you want them all to do the same thing at the same time... simply activate the 4 fixture buttons that they are addressed to. By doing it this way, you are sending out the same signal to 4 different fixtures. As you move slider 1, you are sending out signals on channel 1;17;33 & 49 all at the same time. If you understand this... you are almost ready to program! If you don't understand this... ask questions!

By addressing them the same, say DMX001, wouldn't they all be listening to and responding to commands on the first 8 channels (01-08)?

I always thought 'PAR' lights should be addressed with the PAR portion of the keyboard, in my case (Elation DMX Operator Pro), it was DMX address 129 .. or 199 .. or something.

Last edited:
NEXT UP IN HARDWARE DMX

I'm gratified ittigger... I only wish more than one person was "trackin". Having said that, if only one person "gets this", then, I'm trackin' with this too. OK... here I go again.

I have those exact fixtures you show in Page 18 - Chauvet Intimidator 1.0 scanners - LOVE them. One is broken though - I plan to fix or replace it with another.

By addressing them the same, say DMX001, wouldn't they all be listening to and responding to commands on the first 8 channels (01-08)?

I always thought 'PAR' lights should be addressed with the PAR portion of the keyboard, in my case (Elation DMX Operator Pro), it was DMX address 129 .. or 199 .. or something.
Yes... any time any fixture has the same address as any other fixture, either by plan or mistake, those channels within the fixture will respond to the input. In order to avoid that, they MUST have different addresses and scanner buttons.
My lessons on "CHEATING" should better explain what I'm trying to convey.

Last edited: