DIY Facade

Welcome to ODJT
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Sign up today!

Jan 30, 2017
I'm looking to build my own facade and have been thinking about lightweight plexiglass as an alternative to scrims. I could probably get everything pre-cut at Home Depot and then glue/drill everything together. Would certainly like to install some kind of strip lighting as well.
Anyone got some ideas?

DJ Bobcat

DJ Extraordinerror
Nov 8, 2014
Oklahoma City
I'm looking to build my own facade and have been thinking about lightweight plexiglass as an alternative to scrims. I could probably get everything pre-cut at Home Depot and then glue/drill everything together. Would certainly like to install some kind of strip lighting as well.
Anyone got some ideas?
Made my own Floating Facade...

... but have never done lighted panels. The (3) panels on mine are removable, though. I made it that way so I could have black panels, or even lighted panels.

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it. Several showing it done with plastic instead of Lycra.

steve149

Urbane Legend
Sep 26, 2011
Prospect, CT

BlueLineDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Jan 25, 2015
This is from two years ago I believe. I hand made the facade out of 1x2's and the "screens" are the 2x4 fluorescent ceiling light covers. The four sections are put together by piano hinges. All the parts came from Lowes and I have maybe $75 in it. It folds up accordion style and travels great. I use two Chauvet color strips to light it up from behind. IMG_1203.JPG

Jan 30, 2017
This is from two years ago I believe. I hand made the facade out of 1x2's and the "screens" are the 2x4 fluorescent ceiling light covers. The four sections are put together by piano hinges. All the parts came from Lowes and I have maybe $75 in it. It folds up accordion style and travels great. I use two Chauvet color strips to light it up from behind. View attachment 35341
Yes that's exactly what I was thinking! Did you get individual "frames," have them put together from multiple pieces, or was a square cut out?

BlueLineDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Jan 25, 2015
Yes that's exactly what I was thinking! Did you get individual "frames," have them put together from multiple pieces, or was a square cut out?
It was I 1x2x12's I think that I cut to length and drilled pocket holes for the screws. I also notched out the interior edge of one side to make a channel for the light screen to sit in. I will post some more detailed pics soon.