Direct Music Service - Most music is just bad

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Dessicant

DJ Extraordinaire
Nov 4, 2016
I signed up for this pool and have been going through the daily releases. I am shocked at the horrific quality of the vast amount of stuff being released. Really stupid lyrics, endless amounts of speaking instead of singing. Very few instruments or musicianship, repetitive computer generated beats, did I mention the endless rapping? Even in the pop and R&B categories, rap has invaded, with insipid repetitive lyrics that I find to be utterly lowbrow and without sophistication, imagination, nuance. I won't even address the superficial content or the bad philosophies espoused. I guess I just did... Add to that: nearly everything is being DROWNED and SUFFOCATED with effects, reverbs, echoes, pitch correction, and all of it is exponentially overdone. An effect is supposed to be just that, an effect. An enhancement. Subtle. What I hear is effects as instruments. And it just plain sucks.

Absolutely forget musicianship or performance skill. I'm not sure ANYONE is singing without pitch correction. Most tunes I have to stop before they get halfway through. Unlistenable. About 1 in 30 gets a repeat listen. The harmonic and melodic c0ntent is simplistic amateurish garbage. And it is repeated, and computer generated, and repeated and repeated and repeated. Is ANYONE actually playing a guitar anymore? Or a piano? Has there been a law passed that forbids 9th chords or altered chords? And how about drums? Is there such a thing as someone actually playing drums? Or is it all finger tapping on pad samplers?

I actually never noticed this as a civilian, because I pursue the music I like and find talented producers and performers. But as a DJ, and having decided to go through the new releases that come out every day, I am seeing that 95% of all released music is utter trash.

Welcome to the world of disposable music. :(

That being said, there is lots of music out there that is still "real".
Unfortunately most of it isn't found on mainstream radio or in dj pools.

Also I'm finding more and more that there is quite a good number of the younger crowd that know that the majority of today's garbage we are spoon fed is crap and even they appreciate the classics.
I hear more and more kids admitting that their parents music is better than what they are listening to today.

That's why the majority of my dj playlists are filled with older classics that continue to work well and still fill the floor with all ages, with only a few of the very best of what's out there today sprinkled in to make it appear that I'm still "with it", so to speak.

I am not familiar with the pool you are subscribed to but I get the feeling from your dissatisfaction that its one of those pools that has more remixes than originals, which are almost always shitty, imo.

All of those effects and processing is available in the recording software used so producers overuse it. Some of today's music has excellent dance beats but that's even been lacking this year.

Being a Jazz & Blues musician myself you can imagine how difficult it is for me to listen to any of this crap! Once in a while a top 40 song will come out that I really like, and some of it will grow on you after watching people dance to it a few times. Furthermore, today's Country music sounds similar to Pop music! The same old simple hook lines that are annoying!

I signed up for this pool and have been going through the daily releases. I am shocked at the horrific quality of the vast amount of stuff being released. Really stupid lyrics, endless amounts of speaking instead of singing. Very few instruments or musicianship, repetitive computer generated beats, did I mention the endless rapping? Even in the pop and R&B categories, rap has invaded, with insipid repetitive lyrics that I find to be utterly lowbrow and without sophistication, imagination, nuance...

I feel exactly the same way... I go through new releases once a week, spend hours listening to... well... garbage. I can't believe someone actually spent money recording some of this stuff.

I don't play RAP music, so most of it never goes in my library. What little I have is labeled (genre tag) "cRAP".[emoji1] I know I'm old and out of touch... but I'm OK with that. That's why my business is focused on corporate events and other gigs where it's largely an older crowd. I also play Christian music, but good paying Christian events are rare. At least the lyrics are clean, though generally a little trite.

Every once in a while, I find a gem.[emoji1] Finding good, new, danceable music is getting to be a CHORE. We should start a thread where we can share the good NEW ones we find.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I signed up for this pool and have been going through the daily releases. I am shocked at the horrific quality of the vast amount of stuff being released. Really stupid lyrics, endless amounts of speaking instead of singing. Very few instruments or musicianship, repetitive computer generated beats, did I mention the endless rapping? Even in the pop and R&B categories, rap has invaded, with insipid repetitive lyrics that I find to be utterly lowbrow and without sophistication, imagination, nuance. I won't even address the superficial content or the bad philosophies espoused. I guess I just did... Add to that: nearly everything is being DROWNED and SUFFOCATED with effects, reverbs, echoes, pitch correction, and all of it is exponentially overdone. An effect is supposed to be just that, an effect. An enhancement. Subtle. What I hear is effects as instruments. And it just plain sucks.

Absolutely forget musicianship or performance skill. I'm not sure ANYONE is singing without pitch correction. Most tunes I have to stop before they get halfway through. Unlistenable. About 1 in 30 gets a repeat listen. The harmonic and melodic c0ntent is simplistic amateurish garbage. And it is repeated, and computer generated, and repeated and repeated and repeated. Is ANYONE actually playing a guitar anymore? Or a piano? Has there been a law passed that forbids 9th chords or altered chords? And how about drums? Is there such a thing as someone actually playing drums? Or is it all finger tapping on pad samplers?

I actually never noticed this as a civilian, because I pursue the music I like and find talented producers and performers. But as a DJ, and having decided to go through the new releases that come out every day, I am seeing that 95% of all released music is utter trash.

Our parents said similar things about our music. ;)

Our parents said similar things about our music. ;)

I know that's true, but later on they (my parents) ended up listening to some of it, and actually liking it.[emoji4] I was lucky. My daughter's teen years were mostly in the 1980's and I LOVED the music of that decade. We used to watch videos on MTV together late at night on Fridays and Saturdays.[emoji4]

My parents listen to some of it too - but they still said similar things - and still do about the stuff that comes out today. :).

I don't know how old your parents are, but mine were teens in the 40's. There were DRASTIC changes in music in the 50's and 60's. Much more so than the differences between the 60's (my era), 70's, 80's, and even some of the early 90's. I like music from ALL of those eras. I even like some from this era; it's just getting harder to find new music that suits my taste. And even harder to find good dance music. Of course, a lot of the "new country" music is very similar to pop from previous generations, so I find myself listening to, and playing more country music today. That's OK, because this IS Oklahoma.[emoji1]

I don't know how old your parents are, but mine were teens in the 40's. There were DRASTIC changes in music in the 50's and 60's. Much more so than the differences between the 60's (my era), 70's, 80's, and even some of the early 90's. I like music from ALL of those eras. I even like some from this era; it's just getting harder to find new music that suits my taste. And even harder to find good dance music. Of course, a lot of the "new country" music is very similar to pop from previous generations, so I find myself listening to, and playing more country music today. That's OK, because this IS Oklahoma.

My dad's teens were in the 50's. I had an early appreciation for all music and listened to everything from classical through 60's (his music) to modern (my music). While I agree with the opinion that today's music is 'not music' - it IS the music of our children - and I'm sure that statement has been similar for all pre 'current' (whichever time period we're referring to as current) music generations.

I'm certain that Benny Goodman's kids loved Elvis - but I wonder what people Benny Goodman's age thought of Elvis.

Last edited:
I don't know how old your parents are, but mine were teens in the 40's. There were DRASTIC changes in music in the 50's and 60's. Much more so than the differences between the 60's (my era), 70's, 80's, and even some of the early 90's. I like music from ALL of those eras. I even like some from this era; it's just getting harder to find new music that suits my taste. And even harder to find good dance music. Of course, a lot of the "new country" music is very similar to pop from previous generations, so I find myself listening to, and playing more country music today. That's OK, because this IS Oklahoma.[emoji1]

New country is pop now. If The Eagles or Springsteen released most of their stuff today it would be played on country radio. Actually The Eagles might be labeled too country for country. So much of new country is wash, rinse, repeat with a few exceptions like Eric Church, Zac brown, Jamey Johnson, Kacey Musgraves and a few others. In my opinion you need to dig deep and away from mainstream to find real good country

+1 - The majority of new country is pop. I also agree that by todays standards, the Eagles are country. I also agree that alot of modern country is repetetive (like top 40) but if you look, you can find some nice stuff (also like top 40).

My dad's teens were in the 50's. I had an early appreciation for all music and listened to everything from classical through 60's (his music) to modern (my music). While I agree with the opinion that today's music is 'not music' - it IS the music of our children - and I'm sure that statement has been similar for all pre 'current' (whichever time period we're referring to as current) music generations.

I'm certain that Benny Goodman's kids loved Elvis - but I wonder what people Benny Goodman's age thought of Elvis.

Yes, there is always the intergenerational reflexive emotionalist nostalgia. "Damned kids, why in my day, music was real music, today's music is crap". I get that. And that is of course a BS argument itself. But the stuff I'm hearing is OBJECTIVELY crap. Melodically and harmonically simplistic, if not downright retarded. Impossibly repetitive. Pitch corrected to sterile, passionless perfection. Generated by people in chairs with mouse clicks and samples and loops rather than disciplined musicianship. Composition? There is none. Everything is a copy of everything else. Or a remix of a copy. It's awful, not because of WHEN it was produced, but because of HOW it was produced and BY WHOM it was produced.

OK, so now I'm frothing at the mouth and need to be back on my meds. Let me put on some MUSIC. Maybe Sarah Vaughan. Maybe some Rachmaninoff. Maybe Joe Pass. Or Art. Or Ella. Or Billy. Or Mel. Or Oscar. Or, today: Eldar.

But the stuff I'm hearing is OBJECTIVELY crap. Melodically and harmonically simplistic, if not downright retarded. Impossibly repetitive. Pitch corrected to sterile, passionless perfection. Generated by people in chairs with mouse clicks and samples and loops rather than disciplined musicianship. Composition? There is none. Everything is a copy of everything else.

We had our "Bubblegum" music, which was the same .. except for maybe autotune and computers.

Sugar, Sugar anyone ...

*edit* Heck, the Wikipedia entry for Bubblegum Pop could be used for a lot of today's music ..

Bubblegum pop (also known as bubblegum music or simply bubblegum) is a genre of pop rock music with an upbeat sound contrived and marketed to appeal to pre-teens and teenagers, which may be produced in an assembly-line process, driven by producers and often using unknown singers.

Last edited:
Yes, there is always the intergenerational reflexive emotionalist nostalgia. "Damned kids, why in my day, music was real music, today's music is crap". I get that. And that is of course a BS argument itself. But the stuff I'm hearing is OBJECTIVELY crap. Melodically and harmonically simplistic, if not downright retarded. Impossibly repetitive. Pitch corrected to sterile, passionless perfection. Generated by people in chairs with mouse clicks and samples and loops rather than disciplined musicianship. Composition? There is none. Everything is a copy of everything else. Or a remix of a copy. It's awful, not because of WHEN it was produced, but because of HOW it was produced and BY WHOM it was produced.

OK, so now I'm frothing at the mouth and need to be back on my meds. Let me put on some MUSIC. Maybe Sarah Vaughan. Maybe some Rachmaninoff. Maybe Joe Pass. Or Art. Or Ella. Or Billy. Or Mel. Or Oscar. Or, today: Eldar.

I'm glad you started this thread. I have been meaning to start a similar thread, but have been too busy making trading cards, making Chuck The DJ dance, and other silliness.:laugh: It was SO much easier when I was just buying music for my personal listening pleasure. I know what I like, and though it differs from your style (Joe Pass. Or Art. Or Ella. Or Billy. Or Mel. Or Oscar. Or, today: Eldar.), it's still melodic, and the singers can actually sing... well except for Bob Dylan and Tom Petty (and maybe a few others):laugh:

Last edited:
Software is cheaper than session musicians.

I agree. Rap should have died long ago but it has managed to stick around for some reason. I guess anyone can talk into a mic. Singing requires talent. :)

How can you all criticize such poetically lyrical strains like:

Ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass stop. - Big Sean - Dance (A$$) Remix

Me who? Please boo. Landin' in that G2 same color as beef stew, pure blue, hebrew - Camron

If you don't bring back my m****f*****n money or my m***f****n dope, you can forget about Christmas n***a, cause you ain't gon even see New Years. Master P - Do You Know

And she accidentally slip and fell on my dick/Oops I said on my dick/I didn't really mean to say on my dick/But since we talking' about my dick/All of you haters say hi to it - Chris Brown - Look At Me Now

Young, black, and famous, with money hangin out the anus. Mase - Can't Nobody Hold me Down

You a stupid ho, you a you a stupid ho - Nicki Minaj - "Stupid Ho"

Never let me slip, cuz if I slip, then I'm slippin - Dr. Dre - Nuthin but a G Thang