Denons new Engine Prime

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJKLEEN

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 31, 2016
Lafayette la
what you think about this new software. Supposed to be close to pioneer dj Rekordbox.

Anybody use this software? If so does it sound better? Or is it just features?

This software is supposed to be used by their new flagship
SC 5000 player And the new mc7000 controller on the way!

Is Denon the leader of dj controllers? I know at one time they were tops in consumer line A/V receivers

what you think about this new software. Supposed to be close to pioneer dj Rekordbox.
Anybody use this software? If so does it sound better? Or is it just features? This software is supposed to be used by their new flagship
SC 5000 player And the new mc7000 controller on the way!
Is Denon the leader of dj controllers? I know at one time they were tops in consumer line A/V receivers

1) No, I don't use it
2) "Software" really doesn't have a sound - the hardware, specifically your soundcard or controller can effect the sound, but most are pretty dam good.
3) Denon, like Pioneer's high end stuff, is very good hardware, however -

Here's Denon's problems -

This new software is for Denon's newest products only. There is an uproar already that it doesn't cover Denon's products marketed just before inMusic bought them. Do they now fix the software to cover those products, for which they will not get 1 penny?

This is the risk with closed loop systems, and it has happened before (as company's are bought and sold), DJ's got stuck with unsupported software, and they remember. I'm a part time DJ and already my library is huge. It's been analyzed by Serato, the mp3 Tags (which Serato writes to the mp3 file) have been finely honed by me, and some Ques and Loops have been added. Lots and lots of work, which I'd be highly reluctant to throw at unproved new software, which might not even be here in a few years. This image problem is why Tiesto "buys" into Denon DJ Prime & Engine (although, as you said, I doubt he actually had to buy anything).

Last edited:
Reactions: DJKLEEN
2) "Software" really doesn't have a sound - the hardware, specifically your soundcard or controller can effect the sound, but most are pretty dam good.

Play the same song on the same computer, through the same hardware and high quality speakers, using Virtual DJ 7. Then play the same song using Virtual DJ 8 or Serato and tell me that software doesn't have a sound.

I purchased 4 Evox 8's 2 years ago to replace my K12's over K-sub setups. I started playing some Vitamin String Quartet - Viva La Vida on Virtual DJ 7 on my Mac, and heard so much distortion that I thought the new Evox's were blown. I swapped them for new sets, and the same result. I then played the same song back from CD and found that it sounded beautiful. My next test was to use Serato, again beautiful sound. I tried VDJ 8, and got pure clean sound again. The Evox system was so clean that I was able to hear all of the distortion that VDJ 7 added to the music. Distortion that my old QSC setup didn't reproduce enough for me to realize. So yes Software CAN and DOES make a difference in sound quality.

Play the same song on the same computer, through the same hardware and high quality speakers, using Virtual DJ 7. Then play the same song using Virtual DJ 8 or Serato and tell me that software doesn't have a sound.

I will agree that if you alter the sound with software (i.e. increase the bass, reduce the treble, FX, etc.) it can make a difference. However, you're saying that with all the controls in a "flat" position, with no hardware changes, VDJ8 sounded better than VDJ7?

To answer the OP. No, I haven't got to try Prime, and as a lifetime Pioneer user, I won't even try Rekordbox either. I agree Handinon that I would try to avoid a closed system as you are locking into one environment. I remember the Pioneer DMP-555 which was revolutionary, and obsolete within a year when pioneer dropper support for it. Or Peavey's PVDJ which again was revolutionary and obsolete before it hit the market. Also the Cortex HDD controllers. Denon has been known to let their technology go stale as well.

I will agree that if you alter the sound with software (i.e. increase the bass, reduce the treble, FX, etc.) it can make a difference. However, you're saying that with all the controls in a "flat" position, with no hardware changes, VDJ8 sounded better than VDJ7?
Yes the sound engine in VDJ 8 is lightyears better than 7, when no alterations applied. I didn't believe it myself until I A/B'd it. There are tons of threads on VDJ site as well as others speaking of the poor sound engine in 7.

Yes the sound engine in VDJ 8 is lightyears better than 7, when no alterations applied. I didn't believe it myself until I A/B'd it. There are tons of threads on VDJ site as well as others speaking of the poor sound engine in 7.
I have "heard" of that, and know that VDJ8 has better audio, but I thought that was mostly noticeable when effects were being used. Your Evox's probably have better resolution than my tops as well, so I now must assume you are correct. I use Serato, and am happy you thought it also sounded good.

My reluctance stems from the fact that when perceived differences are put to the scrutiny of "double-blind group testing", they often can not be substantiated. 16 bit vs 24 bit vs whatever - most people do not hear a difference. I myself have never heard anything better than a well recorded, 16 bit, 44,100hz CD played through Sony cans - but my ears are 70 years old and went through hell in the military.

Last edited: