Dell Server on Sale - $299

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

steve149

Shine on you crazy diamond
Staff member
Sep 26, 2011
Connecticut
A nice box to use as a desktop or music/video server or backup machine. I bought one near Thanksgiving.

NO operating system, so need to bring your own. I put Win 10 on it, but you can go free with Linux.

Use coupon code DB299T30 to cut $250 off the price ...

PowerEdge T30 Mini Tower Server | Dell United States

Uses an Intel Xeon chip .. has 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HD. Graphics is basic, so this isn't a gaming rig (you'd need to beef up the power supply for a high end card) .. but it holds up to 4 internal drives .. need another SATA card for the 4th one .. I had to buy one for mine as it is stocked with 1 2Tb and 3 4Tb drives.

server-powderedge-t30-left-hero-685x350-ng.jpg

Specs (full specs)
  • Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Intel HD Graphics P530 (onboard)
  • 8GB 2400 MT/s DDR4 RAM (ECC)
  • 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
  • DVD+/-RW Internal Drive
  • 290W Power Supply
  • No Operating System
  • Ports:
    • 6x USB 3.0 (2x Front, 4x Rear)
    • 6x USB 2.0 (2x Front, 4x Rear)
    • 1x Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)

A nice box to use as a desktop or music/video server or backup machine. I bought one near Thanksgiving.

NO operating system, so need to bring your own. I put Win 10 on it, but you can go free with Linux.

Use coupon code DB299T30 to cut $250 off the price ...

PowerEdge T30 Mini Tower Server | Dell United States

Uses an Intel Xeon chip .. has 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HD. Graphics is basic, so this isn't a gaming rig (you'd need to beef up the power supply for a high end card) .. but it holds up to 4 internal drives .. need another SATA card for the 4th one .. I had to buy one for mine as it is stocked with 1 2Tb and 3 4Tb drives.

server-powderedge-t30-left-hero-685x350-ng.jpg

Specs (full specs)
  • 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
  • 290W Power Supply
  • No Operating System
  • Ports:

Is it noisy like a server, or quieter like a desktop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it noisy like a server, or quieter like a desktop?

Very quiet, though you can hear 4 drives running.

The put them on sale a couple times a year ...

Reactions: ittigger
Found some on eBay... pretty much the same , only 4GB RAM instead of 8GB... That's OK... I can add more RAM. Got 'em for $268, brand new.
Celeron or Xeon processors?

Assuming the same innards, it will take 2 additional drives .. there is space for 3, but not enough SATA headers. I bought a SYBA card with one internal SATA and one external eSATA.

Assuming the same innards, it will take 2 additional drives .. there is space for 3, but not enough SATA headers. I bought a SYBA card with one internal SATA and one external eSATA.

Yep... same innards, same motherboard. I think I'll be OK with two drives (in addition to the system drive for now. I'll run NAS4Free with a ZFS mirror. It works well on my current servers. The servers are just loud.[emoji4]

On sale again ... Discount Code is 299T30 .. Sale price (after coupon) is $299 .. Free Shipping PowerEdge T30 Mini Tower Server | Dell United States

The Xeon E3-1225 is somewhere between an i5 and i7 in performance. Graphics is weak (relative to a separate card) but overall it's a good base to use as a desktop PC or server (no operating system so you'd need to have/acquire Windows or Linux.

Specs (full specs)
  • 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
  • 290W Power Supply
  • No Operating System
  • Ports:

Last edited:
These are GREAT servers... I highly recommend them. I have two. Tower boxes take up some space, but they are well engineered and VERY quiet. I put two 4TB drives in each server (with 120GB SSD System Drive)... RAID0, then back up one server to the other. Running NAS4Free, which is a Unix based OS. The OS is free and fast. Love 'em![emoji4]

1523581631938.png

^^^^ Here's mine (with a UPS in between).:djsmug:

Last edited: