Dance floor wash lights

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I'm going back and forth on floor wash lights. In the past, I've used colorstrips (I have 3) but they're a bit too bright for my tastes. I've also tried using a couple of 9X18 par cans, but they're also too bright and coverage isn't as wide as I'd like. The other issue is I want to use them with my wireless DMX, so the color will match whatever else I'm running. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Chauvet Colorstrip minis ($99 and in stock at my local Guitar Center). I'm thinking that I'll mount them on top of the t-bar that holds my movers (hanging down position). Wondering if anybody here has a better suggestion.

Core Pars have been my favorite wash light. They don't look LED and are super easy on the eye, which is a huge plus when aiming lights down.

I use the Chauvet Slimpar H6 USB. Sounds like you already have your solution, but I like them a lot for multiple applications.

I use the Chauvet Slimpar H6 USB. Sounds like you already have your solution, but I like them a lot for multiple applications.

I've been using par cans for the past few months but for some reason, I really like the visual that a colorstrip gives. I have 3 of the bigger units but they can be over-powering at times. I'm hoping these shorter units will put just the right amount of wash on the floor and still get that little visual thing as well.

im a fan of the adj tri par profile plus pucks... but i just use them for lighting my facade and truss.... my color wash is 4 of the Chauvet WashFx ... the beauty of them is they work great for color wash... but also have pixel mapping capabities and built in pixel programs u can access super easy in dmx... it essentially goes from having 4 units to 12 or 16 because each 3 led sector is a different color and going to the music...

They have a new version (WashFx2) that look larger and have uv added

cc

I've been using par cans for the past few months but for some reason, I really like the visual that a colorstrip gives. I have 3 of the bigger units but they can be over-powering at times. I'm hoping these shorter units will put just the right amount of wash on the floor and still get that little visual thing as well.

I'm the opposite, but I suppose that's why they make both. :)

Two for 150.00 plus shipping Good condition .Bright Too! will cover just about all you'll need.
1538608509644.png

Reactions: rickryan.com
Two for 150.00 plus shipping Good condition .Bright Too! will cover just about all you'll need.
View attachment 35223

Thanks Sonic but I already have long bars (Colorstrips). I bought the minis in hopes I can perm mount them to my T-bars and that they won't be as bright as the full-size bars. Will let you know if I want to take you up on your generous offer.

the strips blind you, and I don't like that effect. I have actually had people come up to me when I used to use those in 09 and complain.

Dimming doesn't help b/c it's in the design of the optics. I put a crap load of diffusion on them and it seemed to work well.

the strips blind you, and I don't like that effect. I have actually had people come up to me when I used to use those in 09 and complain.

Dimming doesn't help b/c it's in the design of the optics. I put a crap load of diffusion on them and it seemed to work well.

That reminds me, I've used the full-sized colorstrips, aimed 45 degrees towards the ceiling and that has worked very well and it does away with the blinding issue you mentioned (I agree BTW).

yeah...most lights are blinding... remember those old par cans with color gels... that were about 500 degrees after a gig...lol... as rick says...all about positioning... a nice white ceiling is the perfect pallet to wash a room... ive even aimed them at brick and they give a nice wash... but sometimes i just put them about 10 feet up and to the sides of the dancefloor...and for the most part they are peripheral and no one complains... most everyone under 30 enjoys the blinding effect...they use it constantly in clubs and concerts to accentuate the base drop

cc

Reactions: ittigger
I have brighter lights, but go back to the Chauvet 4Bar (original) with its 10mm LEDs .. bright enough, but not overpowering.

That is one the first things i noticed when I got my ADJ Mega Bar Plus , just how brighter it was compared to the Mega Pars, and that is more of a pain to set up on the lighting stand aka truss style system( are we allowed to call them that?)

Ive thought about getting a few of the small ones.

The color strips can be dimmed, if you use dmx.

The minis seem to be a better fit, not to mention I can leave them perm-mounted on my mini-t-bars. I've had them running on sound active the past couple of weekends and really like what I'm seeing. Here are some pics (which I just posted on Chris' thread as well).

IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1128[1].JPG

Looks good. Thinking about buying a couple of inexpensive moving heads. Researching...... Watched a couple of videos on the Tomshine 80watt and the ProDjLighting MHH5. Any opinion? Thanks...

Looks good. Thinking about buying a couple of inexpensive moving heads. Researching...... Watched a couple of videos on the Tomshine 80watt and the ProDjLighting MHH5. Any opinion? Thanks...

I'm not sold on the chinese movers. The ones I've seen have terrible optics and/or no gobos (only color). I like the 90-watt Chauvets (I think this is what Taso runs) but to me, the size was a bit too bulky. I'd also stay away from the smaller lights (10-watt to 25-watt), not bright enough. These 255s are 60-watt fixtures and have enough punch for larger rooms but still are small enough to hang easily.