Creating Simple DJ Drops Free

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Hey,

I was looking through Youtube and found a video on creating your own drops. You can download a free software, Wavepad, and go! I decided to play around with it and created my first Dj drop! Although I know it's not the best, I was surprised on how it came out. This is just for a simple Dj drop for newbies such as myself. If you want it to sound extremely professional, I've seen some Djs on this forum who will create one for you. Hope this can help!

Click to Check out the Sample:
DJZENLOGO-1.jpg

Best Regards,
DJ Zen

A DJ "drop" is a cued sample on a CD, vinyl record, MP3 sample or other audio file that is used to identify the DJ, a radio station or give hype to a DJ mix. A DJ "drop" can also be a sound effect, a blip of a song or a customized audio identification. DJs use "drops" to create a sense of energy in live radio and club mixes. It is also a way for the DJ to let the crowd know who made them dance so hard.

i would like free one :) Dj NoName

Hey Dj Noname,

You can create your own using Wavepad or Audacity programs which are free to Download. Just realized Wavepad download is just a free trial. You can record your voice to create drops and add whatever samples or tracks you like. If you are asking for me to create one for you, just pm me with your email. I'll send you a short sample on what you can do.

I would rather get a proper voiceover to do mine

I done it with mine years ago

another guy is testing talent out and see what sounds the best
who knows what he likes but he has a lot to do yet

I use several people to do my drops, and luckily I am pretty good at doing voices, so I can do drops myself too. I also use a couple of really hot girls that can make some really good drops, and a couple kids that do some really unique drops too.
It's all about how far you want to take it. Personally I use Audition, with an enclosed area and a Shure mic for better quality drops (Audacity is just one step below it, and its free). A lot of the DJ drops you see is just some guy with a Radio Shack mic that knows how to record his voice, and then charges $200.

If you want to do your own drops, make sure you do a lot of mic calibration first. Get the lowest background noise possible. After that, use the EQ and Reverb effects in Audacity to make it sound better. If you want, mess around with different effects such as Phase Shifting, Echo, and Flanger. Remember, this is all about what YOU want... don't worry about making it sound like someone else's!

Thanks for the helpful info. Yeah, this is something that I had spoken about with a friend. He said he would rather get someone to do it professionally. However, he is a seasoned dj who has a spot on an internet radio station. As I am still developing, I don't mind so much doing my own drops, for now. That's a great point with the effects. I haven't recorded anything yet with my own voice, but I am interested to play around with effects to see which sound best. Thanks again!

Well fair enough, but I think you're more of a mobile DJ. Not really needed, but if you are on a radio station or club, it serves as a tool to let people know who you are to help build a following and get your name out.
Exactly. And if that's what you do and are using these for, you should step it up a bit. Not an insult, just honest. The sample you posted is not very high energy. I think you have the ability to make it work, but unfortunately, what works is what sounds like everyone else.

Keep at it.

...Yes, I am a mobile DJ and have no use for it. However, I do have a webcast that I do my own drops for and I know what I speak about. Not everybody has "The Voice" and when you don't, you have to manufacture it.

I see what you mean, and I will definitely keep working to develop it more. That's the reason for me posting is to uncover areas where I can improve without a biased opinion (of myself). And I understand your points since you are a more experienced dj and have created and used dj drops in your work. I'll keep posting drops and vids!

I would rather get a proper voiceover to do mine

I done it with mine years ago

another guy is testing talent out and see what sounds the best
who knows what he likes but he has a lot to do yet

Talking with Hank and looking through videos, I realized it's definitely a specialized art and I see why djs would just get them professionally done. As he said, not everyone has the voice, and it could be difficult to manufacture.

Also, I feel that learning to do voice overs can help when you need to get on the mic. Using different pitches and learning how to use your voice is very helpful if you plan on talking over a mic making announcements or introductions, etc, even if you don't use it to create drops.