College age cheat sheet?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm not borrowing anything from anybody. My van is full and this is a cheap gig.
Sorry I didn't know any of this. It was just a suggestion. Hopefully on the next one things won't change the way this one did so you don't have to worry about not having enough subs for the room.

Played that at my recent Halloween Party Gig. It went over quite well with the kids, but the older adults were looking around like; what the he11???[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol and that adds to the fun.

cc

My formula is to aim at what the crowd was listening to when they were about 15 years old. So I would try songs that were big between 2008-2013. Of course that is no guarantee.

Reactions: djcrazychris
My formula is to aim at what the crowd was listening to when they were about 15 years old. So I would try songs that were big between 2008-2013. Of course that is no guarantee.

Sage advice.... that and classic songs that leaked into pop culture and movies around that time... so many cartoons...like dispicable me and others are filled with the classics...and trigger a "happier stressfree" time in their mind

cc

Reactions: steve149
The college gig turned out terrific. Very, very easy gig compared to weddings. They literally danced to everything we threw at them with the exception of one; "TootsieRoll". I used that remix version of BabyShark and it was hilarious. When it first started, they all just stood there and stared at us and I could see several mouthing "What is this?" As soon as it hit the first words, they all howled and started doing the shark thing with their hands. I enjoyed that one about as much as any I can think of in recent history.

As for setup/sound, I used our standard rig and left the extra tops in the van. An extra pair of subs would have been nice but even the pair of Altos were respectable. They asked us to setup in the corner and I put the speaker stacks on either side of my facade. If I were doing it again tonight I'd probably move the speaker stacks over by the lighting stands. Here's a pic:

-collegegig.jpg
For lighting, I used 2 of my taller cranks (13ft). Each stand had a colorstrip mini, 2 Chauvet Intimidator 255 heads and 1 Chauvet 60-watt scanner. Guest count was somewhere between 200-250. It being a Thursday night and only 3 hours I charged $600. One of the sponsors told me I could have gotten more. Oh well, I left money on the table but the clients were very happy with the results. BTW, if you'll look at the pic, you'll see the perm lighting fixtures. They had just installed a new COB LED lighting system. While the system wouldn't do sound active, the lighting tech was able to put it into random color change and dim it down. The effect was really, really good but obviously brides probably won't be paying any DJs for uplighting there. One more thing, when we got the system loaded down (and later in the evening), I notice my Tripp Lite regulator was showing "very low" voltage (their indicator, just before fault). I pulled out a meter and the wall was giving us 109-110 volts. The regulator was feeding a solid 129-130 to my speaker stacks and mixer. It had me nervous for a while that we might lose power. That regulator is supposedly good down to 90 volts. I checked the next outlet over (presumably a different circuit) and it showed 119 volts. For you electrical gurus, what does that low voltage mean in terms of circuit strain? Does that mean it's having to pull more amps from the wall? Would you be fearful of burning out the regulator? Anyways, good gig. I'm beat this morning. No more gigs on the books until one itty-bitty one in December.

BTW, even though the client didn't buy uplighting ($600 gig), I put out 6, 9x18 cans. 2 under by table, 2 in the corner behind us (against the wall) and 1 behind each of my lighting stands. I had them sound active, being controlled by my laptop. I thought it was a pretty effective presentation.

Good job, on a job like that I would like to to haze if possible, it makes the lights jump out, but you can only do what they will allow.