Cold Spark machine

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I have 2 of the prox blitzz systems and they’re awesome!! Very safe and easy to use! However I have also just purchased 2 of sparkulars units. Some venues here only allow that particular brand, and with the amount of interest I have in this option, it is a worthy investment ($5000). I have a friend that will lend me 2 sparkular units if ever need to use 4 of them specifically otherwise I’ll mix and match. So far no venue we performed at had an issue, and 2/3 of the Venues contacted had not had any issue with which brand was used.

Attachments

• 53ADCD17-E11F-4C10-AE32-F954BF2FF971.jpeg
    53ADCD17-E11F-4C10-AE32-F954BF2FF971.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 10
I have 2 of the prox blitzz systems and they’re awesome!! Very safe and easy to use! However I have also just purchased 2 of sparkulars units. Some venues here only allow that particular brand, and with the amount of interest I have in this option, it is a worthy investment ($5000). I have a friend that will lend me 2 sparkular units if ever need to use 4 of them specifically otherwise I’ll mix and match. So far no venue we performed at had an issue, and 2/3 of the Venues contacted had not had any issue with which brand was used.
Is there much of a difference in the sparking material or is it one of familiarity instead.

if i were to use these i would make up a simple one sheet to hand to venue owners...explaining the product and soothing any anxiety about fire hazards and what not... but i could definitely see certain venues still holding their ground... the same people who used to think you could sufficate in haze

cc

I don't see the big deal...Those things don't spark my interest. Get it...SPARK. :cheers::afro::shrug:

To me, it's a less entertaining effect than I get can out of a $4.99 Fountain style Firework effect. If I'm not thrilled, I can't expect my clients to be excited enough to spend the money it would take for the ROI on the cost of the machines to be worth investing in. But, Taso has proved that there are easily thrilled clients out there who have money to blow on this type of effect.

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
I don't see the big deal...Those things don't spark my interest. Get it...SPARK. :cheers::afro::shrug:

To me, it's a less entertaining effect than I get can out of a $4.99 Fountain style Firework effect. If I'm not thrilled, I can't expect my clients to be excited enough to spend the money it would take for the ROI on the cost of the machines to be worth investing in. But, Taso has proved that there are easily thrilled clients out there who have money to blow on this type of effect.
We use it multiple times throughout the night, including during the dancing segments... similar as to how we use the co2 gun. It creates an unexpected element of excitement and visual energy. All those other spark effects are one time use only.

Reactions: ittigger
Is there much of a difference in the sparking material or is it one of familiarity instead.
In all honesty and don’t see much of a difference in the actual effect between brands. However in the actual systems themselves it’s a night and day difference. Sparkulars controllers monitor the internal temperature of the units to prevent overheating, and to purchase their units you must go through a training course. However, their units all insured properly should injury be caused by them. That means you don’t need to take out a separate insurance just for them. They also do reach out to fire Marshall’s ahead of time if required by the venue (this is more for concert type events, but once in a while you’ll get a venue that’s unfamiliar with the effect who may want a fire Marshall’s approval). The sparkular units are also all field tested and have proper labels on them showing that. That label is what the banquet halls want to see to ensure that you’re not using knock off ones, and that they also know you’re using units that are insured.

I looked hard at it... but I serve so many different areas regularly that I didn't want to have to deal with all of the regulators. At a minimum, I'd have to get them cleared by:

Fairfax County VA
Arlington County VA
Loudoun County VA
Washington DC
Montgomery County MD

Seems like more hassle than it's worth for me. I'd be happy to help a client rent them though.

I looked hard at it... but I serve so many different areas regularly that I didn't want to have to deal with all of the regulators. At a minimum, I'd have to get them cleared by:

Fairfax County VA
Arlington County VA
Loudoun County VA
Washington DC
Montgomery County MD

Seems like more hassle than it's worth for me. I'd be happy to help a client rent them though.
What do u mean you’d have to get them cleared?

What do u mean you’d have to get them cleared?

The National Fire Protection Agency put out a memo basically saying that cold spark was in the same category as pyro. I can't find the original memo, but this was a proposed update to the rule governing them: https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/AboutTheCodes/1126/Proposed_TIA_1317_NFPA_1126.pdf

As I understood it at the time... since the law wasn't 100% clear, the fire marshal in each jurisdiction had the power to govern the use of cold spark differently. And since I regularly work in 5 different counties, I read that to mean that I would need clearance from each one before proceeding. Even with fire marshal clearance, the venues may still prohibit use at that level.

I spoke to the fire marshal in Fairfax County where I live and he told me that he had been approached about these devices but that they weren't UL listed. I called Sparkular and talked to them, they said not UL listed - but they had a secondary comparable listing. Honestly... this is where I gave up. Whether the second listing is legit or not... it was becoming clear to me at that point that this was more work than I wanted to get into.

I was considering it as an add-on, but specifically I was looking because I had one client ask. So I proposed a much lower cost alternative, and we did this grand exit for that couple:

They were happy, and I'm much happier not having to deal with the stress.

The National Fire Protection Agency put out a memo basically saying that cold spark was in the same category as pyro. I can't find the original memo, but this was a proposed update to the rule governing them: https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/AboutTheCodes/1126/Proposed_TIA_1317_NFPA_1126.pdf

As I understood it at the time... since the law wasn't 100% clear, the fire marshal in each jurisdiction had the power to govern the use of cold spark differently. And since I regularly work in 5 different counties, I read that to mean that I would need clearance from each one before proceeding. Even with fire marshal clearance, the venues may still prohibit use at that level.

I spoke to the fire marshal in Fairfax County where I live and he told me that he had been approached about these devices but that they weren't UL listed. I called Sparkular and talked to them, they said not UL listed - but they had a secondary comparable listing. Honestly... this is where I gave up. Whether the second listing is legit or not... it was becoming clear to me at that point that this was more work than I wanted to get into.

I was considering it as an add-on, but specifically I was looking because I had one client ask. So I proposed a much lower cost alternative, and we did this grand exit for that couple:

They were happy, and I'm much happier not having to deal with the stress.
Fire Marshall’s only get involved if the venue requests that they be involved. I’ve spoken to a lot of guys around here and rarely is the fire marshall being involved an issue now. In the beginning with some venues it was a concern when people didn’t know what it was, but now not so much. And most venues don’t even know to consider getting a fire Marshall involved. FYI sparkular can call every fire Marshall and let them know you are trained to use the equipment so that if you ever come across them for a particular venue you shouldn’t have an issue.

Idk perhaps you’re looking a bit too into it? I work all over and I’ve never seen that be much of a concern. Public events is a different story especially performances or shows. But again, even last weekend at the huge NJ meadowlands expo where thousands of brides go, all the djs had their sparklers of varying brands set up.

And most venues don’t even know to consider getting a fire Marshall involved.

I'm sure this is true, and the venues are just responding to the demand. But it'll take one incident to shut all of this down. Whether it's a Sparkular machine, or one of the knock offs. One flame, and one incident of liability... And just because they aren't calling the fire marshal doesn't mean it isn't against the code to use them.

It sounds like a lot of Jersey DJs are using them. But the demand in DC hasn't been that high. I've only had one wedding client even ask.

I might update my thinking if the law becomes clearer and/or demand really increases. But for now, it feels like more risk than reward.

I'm sure this is true, and the venues are just responding to the demand. But it'll take one incident to shut all of this down. Whether it's a Sparkular machine, or one of the knock offs. One flame, and one incident of liability... And just because they aren't calling the fire marshal doesn't mean it isn't against the code to use them.

It sounds like a lot of Jersey DJs are using them. But the demand in DC hasn't been that high. I've only had one wedding client even ask.

I might update my thinking if the law becomes clearer and/or demand really increases. But for now, it feels like more risk than reward.
I felt the same exact way as you at first. Then I started seeing what actual djs that were offering them were saying. Sparkular units are insured directly from sparkular so from a liability perspective, you personally don’t have any. It would be just as dangerous as candles being lit in the room at that point. They’re more common in Nj because of the purchasing power the big companies have... its easier for them to invest 15-30k in these depending on the quantity, than for someone to invest that amount as a single op... which is what you have mostly in the rest of the country. For now though it seems that it was a safe investment in terms of it being payed off. The pioneers of the effect in each region though did their due dilligence and got the fire Marshall’s approval through in person demonstrations so that the venues that had concern, no longer did. But again... I haven’t even come across a venue yet that has had this issue, and sparkular already said they can contact local fire Marshalls on my behalf if needed.

I’ve seen that and being nearly a year and a half old, I’m curious to see what the update to it is. Again, this is where sparkular excels and why they charge more. You can’t own the units unless you pass a test demonstrating the knowledge to operate these units safely. They also provide full pyrotechnic liability insurance for each of their units. But yeah many venues don’t know what to do with them lol

According to the Sparkular document , they also specify a specific type of extinguisher, because of the titanium, which is also listed in the NFPA docs.

I can't find unilateral approval - but I did find this, September 2017, which also states that an insurance policy needs to be in effect of not less than 1 million and that a permit is required.

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/fire/documents/fmnoticesparku.pdf

Last edited:
They're pretty much prohibited here in Rhode Island. The Station nightclub fire is still too fresh in peoples' minds and these units, while not exactly pyro, are much too reminiscent of actual pyrotechnics. We can use them outdoors (I don't), but not indoors.