COB versus Colorstrip, which one?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I generally mount a chauvet colorstrip on top of each of my QSC K10 tops for dance floor wash. This puts out about 1100 lumens. I'm thinking about switching to a single monoprice COB stage light. The 80w unit puts out about 3000 lumens and has 30 and 80 degree lenses. Wondering if anyone has tried these lights yet and had any input on them. I know I'd be missing the multi-color display of the colorstrips, but I think it would be a nice and bright alternative. Any thoughts?

Stage Right SoftStage 80W COB LED Stage PAR (RGB with 30° and 80° Lens) - Monoprice.com

Reactions: ittigger
I like the Colorstrips.
Not only can you do a bright static color (since you use two)
but if needed, you can switch them to sound active and have a darn good show.
I remember people her saying they put window tinting on their Colorstrips cause they were TOO bright.
If you need brighter, it's probably because you're in a bigger room, so you probably would bring more lights anyway.

PS
I saw your lights-on-speakers in your other post...
and asked if you could send a close up pic.
Do you have one?

I think a static PAR on top of a speaker will make it look like a lamppost or something .. The Colorstrips are a bit wide, but I agree they are probably a better alternative.

I like the Colorstrips.
Not only can you do a bright static color (since you use two)
but if needed, you can switch them to sound active and have a darn good show.
I remember people her saying they put window tinting on their Colorstrips cause they were TOO bright.
If you need brighter, it's probably because you're in a bigger room, so you probably would bring more lights anyway.

PS
I saw your lights-on-speakers in your other post...
and asked if you could send a close up pic.
Do you have one?

Sorry, no close-ups. I'll try to remember and get some for you. The thing I don't like about the colorstrips on top of the speakers is you can't turn them (left-right) without having to turn the speaker. If I have a wide speaker spread, I have a dead lighting space on the dance floor.

I run a single ultra hexpar 3 on top of each speaker with a diffusion filter on them I like the look

Sorry, no close-ups. I'll try to remember and get some for you. The thing I don't like about the colorstrips on top of the speakers is you can't turn them (left-right) without having to turn the speaker. If I have a wide speaker spread, I have a dead lighting space on the dance floor.

I thought about that.
Mainly because we have a few local venues where you don't have a balanced, symmetrical, rectangular area to place your speakers.
So, you can skip the close up pics, as this is not an option for me.
Just wondered how you mounted them.
Speaking of which, can you find a way to mount them so you can move them independently from the speaker?

I thought about that.
Mainly because we have a few local venues where you don't have a balanced, symmetrical, rectangular area to place your speakers.
So, you can skip the close up pics, as this is not an option for me.
Just wondered how you mounted them.
Speaking of which, can you find a way to mount them so you can move them independently from the speaker?

I've been using the fly points. Mount the colorstrip to a bar, then drill holes and put bolts thru it, going down. The bolts are smaller than the fly points and can just slide down into the top of the K10. With them still being threaded, there's very little chance of them slipping out. I'm thinking about taking out the bar, then mounting the colorstrip to a flat metal plate and cover the bottom with velcro. Put velcro on top of the K10s and you should still have a secure connection, but with the ability to rotate it, left-right.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm
You could also put them on an "O" clamp and mount it on the pole BELOW the speaker.
Point it any way you like.

the Yamaha DXRs I use have a fly point in the middle of the handle on top putting it directly in the center of the top of the speaker I simply order a knob with an m10 bolt, works great and it's super simple

You could also put them on an "O" clamp and mount it on the pole BELOW the speaker.
Point it any way you like.

That's the way I used to do it. I like the look of on top better, plus it helps push the light up higher, out of peoples' eyes. This also lets me mount Acrobats underneath the speakers. I guess it really doesn't matter how you do it, it's just something to change to keep from being bored with the same setup all the time.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger