Cakewalk / Sonar to be closed

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

steve149

Shine on you crazy diamond
Staff member
Sep 26, 2011
Connecticut
Cakewalk has been one of the premier companies in MIDI automation and Digital Audio Workstations. It's flagship product was Sonar.

Once owned by Roland and now Gibson, it was shuttered on Friday, though the website remains active and the news says you can access any existing assets you purchased.

Cakewalk Shuttered by Gibson Brands

Developing commercial software is always a challenge. Unless you are continuously developing products for new markets, you're gonna go down. If your focus is on a very specific market, it's really tough to keep selling to the same customers. Once your product reaches a certain level of maturity and stability, many customers will resist upgrading, so your actual pool of potential buyers shrinks. Microsoft always did software developers a bit of a favor, by changing Windows enough that some older software ceased working (with the new O/S); requiring upgrading. However, that only keeps development going for a period of time. Adding features and innovations won't keep you going forever either. The application can become bloated and it affects performance, and most customers become overwhelmed by the options. I was the VP of Applications Development for a commercial fuel distribution software company for 5 years, and was the Applications Development Manager for 2 years before that, and those were the most stressful 7 years of my career. The commercial software development business is TOUGH! I'm not going back to work, but if I did, it wouldn't be in commercial software development.[emoji4]

Last edited: