Cable ?s

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

TinyTim

DJ Extraordinaire
Nov 2, 2017
Ok guys. So I got all my gear in and had a chance to play with it last night. One issue that has already arisen is connecting my computer to my mixer. I tried a 1/8" aux cable with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter but the audio was pretty crappy. I got better sound quality by using the USB connection that came with my mixer but I that option limited my control of the music coming in from the computer. I had no way to adjust EQ and the only way to control the volume was with the master volume control. This prevented me from lowering the music level while keeping my mic level up, if that makes any sense.

My initial thought was to use a 1/8" to a double 1/4". But idk if that will give me better audio quality or not. So then I thought about one of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...plaid^323968843383-sku^J51846000000000@ADL4MF

I know the USB to 1/4" is supposed to be for recording to the computer but I don't see why it wouldn't allow the audio signal to go from the computer to the mixer. What do y'all think?

P.S. My mixer is a Behringer Q1204USB.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I thought you were using a focusrite audio interface. Do you have a sound card or audio interface other than the headphone jack?

Reactions: ittigger
I thought you were using a focusrite audio interface. Do you have a sound card or audio interface other than the headphone jack?
I thought I would be able to plug the computer straight into the mixer (and technically, I can) but its not giving me the level of control I want. Will an audio interface help with that?

Reactions: ittigger
The Behringer mixer has a very simple USB connection, that unfortunately goes straight to the main outputs. Many DJ mixers with USB in (my Denon 6000 for example) bring the USB into a channel, so you have all the adjustments available. My Allen&Heath live sound mixer also does that.

Yes, an audio interface will allow you to run those outputs to inputs on the Behringer (either one input or 2 depending on how many stereo outputs the USB device has) and then you can use the channel strip as needed.

There are RCA type cables that are 1/8" to RCA or 1/8" to two mono 1/4" jacks. With the second option you would connect to channels 5/6 or 7/8 on your mixer. If you have option 1, RCA jacks, you can get 1/4"adapters. An audio interface or soundcard will give you better sound quality than the headphone jack, but might not be necessary at this point.

Back in you're "First DJ Setups", I asked what you are going to play, and how you're going to play it. I realize that thread became somewhat(?) distracted by Alto vs. The Rest of the World, but the info from you is still needed to help you.

I'll start with one assumption - you are using a Windows laptop, but what actual program are you using to play the mp3's??

I know the USB to 1/4" is supposed to be for recording to the computer but I don't see why it wouldn't allow the audio signal to go from the computer to the mixer. What do y'all think? P.S. My mixer is a Behringer Q1204USB.

In a word, yes, but you may need to install a driver. From the Behringer Forum -

64 bit https://forum.musictri.be/attachmen...5bc243d32ace9d&attachmentid=1501&d=1468262350
32 bit https://forum.musictri.be/attachmen...5bc243d32ace9d&attachmentid=1502&d=1468262361

That should allow you to play directly from the mixer, and if the mixers main buss has EQ, you should be able to adjust that as well. If they don't work, you could also try ASIO4ALL. Hopefully, one of them will work, and you won't have to use your laptops 1/8" headphone output, which has very poor mechanical integrity.

Now I shall get on my high horse. IMHO, without using a proper DJ software program (like Mixxx, which is free) and an inexpensive DJ controller/soundcard combination (like a Numark Mixtrack Pro), you are going to put yourself through a lot of unnecessary pain. End of Sermon.

I have a controller/sound card - USB to the computer and regular out goes to the mixer. The controller has a headphone jack so I can preview/cue separate from the 'live out' the guests are listening to.

My backup laptop just goes from 1/8" jack to the mixer.
My mic is plugged into it's own channel on the mixer (can also plug it into the controller).

I use VDJ software and a cheap NuMark controller.
For backup I have a cheapie behringer audio card - USB and it has separate outs for music and head phones.

The 'control' of the 'output' is in the software - what channel goes to 'main' or 'headphone' is selected there.

Reactions: TinyTim
I was hoping to be able to get going without having to spend much more money but I see now that I really do need to pick up a controller to run between the laptop and the mixer. That is the only way I will truly get the level of control and audio quality that I need. Now I just have to break it to the wife that I need to spend more money! It was like pulling teeth out of a tiger the first time! Lol

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Back in you're "First DJ Setups", I asked what you are going to play, and how you're going to play it. I realize that thread became somewhat(?) distracted by Alto vs. The Rest of the World, but the info from you is still needed to help you.

I'll start with one assumption - you are using a Windows laptop, but what actual program are you using to play the mp3's??

In a word, yes, but you may need to install a driver. From the Behringer Forum -

64 bit https://forum.musictri.be/attachmen...5bc243d32ace9d&attachmentid=1501&d=1468262350
32 bit https://forum.musictri.be/attachmen...5bc243d32ace9d&attachmentid=1502&d=1468262361

That should allow you to play directly from the mixer, and if the mixers main buss has EQ, you should be able to adjust that as well. If they don't work, you could also try ASIO4ALL. Hopefully, one of them will work, and you won't have to use your laptops 1/8" headphone output, which has very poor mechanical integrity.

Now I shall get on my high horse. IMHO, without using a proper DJ software program (like Mixxx, which is free) and an inexpensive DJ controller/soundcard combination (like a Numark Mixtrack Pro), you are going to put yourself through a lot of unnecessary pain. End of Sermon.
I am planning on using Djay from Algoriddim once I pick up a controller. I already have thier free version on my computer and it works well and is fully integrated with Spotify as a music source. With my Spotify premium account I can download an unlimited amount of music to the device so even if I don't have an internet connection I'm good to go.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Ok guys. So I got all my gear in and had a chance to play with it last night. One issue that has already arisen is connecting my computer to my mixer. I tried a 1/8" aux cable with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter but the audio was pretty crappy. I got better sound quality by using the USB connection that came with my mixer but I that option limited my control of the music coming in from the computer. I had no way to adjust EQ and the only way to control the volume was with the master volume control. This prevented me from lowering the music level while keeping my mic level up, if that makes any sense.

My initial thought was to use a 1/8" to a double 1/4". But idk if that will give me better audio quality or not. So then I thought about one of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...plaid^323968843383-sku^J51846000000000@ADL4MF

I know the USB to 1/4" is supposed to be for recording to the computer but I don't see why it wouldn't allow the audio signal to go from the computer to the mixer. What do y'all think?

P.S. My mixer is a Behringer Q1204USB.

I have a QX1204USB that I use as a small backup mixer. It's basically the same as your mixer but upgraded with effects. Yes, the USB built in sound card connection is limited in that you can't route the computer audio through a regular mixer channel. It routes directly through the main bus of the mixer. But I really don't have an issue with this because I use the computer software deck fader or software master fader to control the music volume level. Why couldn't you do the same unless you need/prefer physical hardware faders?

Decent DJ computer software will have some type of deck EQ options and will allow you to also cue the song using multiple sound card options so you can que the song through your computer's built in headphone output while not interfering with your main output.