Black Lights

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ittigger

Hundred Acre Industry Icon
Staff member
ODJT Supporter
Feb 1, 2011
Hundred Acre Wood
A client has asked for some black lights. Any recommendations? This would be a Gym sized room (half court).

The best effect comes from Blacklight fluorescent tubes, but you need a bunch and tough to use without a semi-permanent hang. Best short-term compact light is the ADJ UV Cannon.

I have an ADJ UVLED BAR16 .. OK for a small setup .. just doesn't throw far.

Reactions: ittigger
A couple of Eco uv plus or uv dmx bars should work if it's only half a court.
These ones have the higher power 3 watt diodes and a good wide wash:
ECO UV Bar Plus IR
ECO UV Bar DMX

What's available for rent in your area?
Any higher end fixtures like Altman or Wildfire?

i got one of the eco uv led bars - the longer one (on sale..$99). LOVE IT. Want a second one.

I mount it horizonatally over my 4Play and 1/2 court should be no problem - very good spread both directions.

One on the opposite side would be better yet (hence my interest in a second)

Blacklights are one of the few types of fixtures that don't go out of style. For some reason the past 10 years colleges have been asking for blacklight parties. I'd say after two lighting only rentals I made enough to pay for upgrades to my old Blacklighting system. I currently use a combination of fluorescent, LED UV and effect lights. That way there is nice mix of the old UV lighting, the high power throw/effect of UV LED and multi color effect to give some color. Personally I hate the Blacklight effect but they like it is easier to setup/lighter than my old intel light system. So client with $$ means who cares what I think.DSC00306.jpg

Last edited:
Client is willing to pay extra, how much is unknown at this time.

How much black light do they want and how large is the room?

I just rent them from party central! 4 ft Florecent! 15 bucks a day! Hit her for 20 a day. 20 x 6= 120.00

One night the customer rented about 10 of these and ended up putting two of them across my dual 18 cabs,,,, needless to say by he end of the night they both vibrated off and broke! Whoops

I would be lighting the 'dance area' only, so the front part of the court - near the hoop.

Sorry Tig I missed that. I used to use 4 like this but I thought they were a much higher wattage back then

We did a gym-sized venue with blacklights.
The boss bought close to a dozen of the double fluorescent bulb fixtures...
spent HOURS on a lift installing them...
and they still didn't cover as well as everyone liked, or expected.
So, you'd spend a LOT of money and a lot of time....
and you probably wouldn't have a happy client.
What you WOULD have is a lot of UV fixtures that you will never use.
It may be better to research company that can do it all, and pass the cost onto the client.

I agree with most of the stuff posted and thank you all for the input. In close to 30 years, I've RARELY needed black lights - but I have some (minimal). I have sent my thoughts back to the customer, so we shall see what comes of it.

I do like the ECO bars - wondering how much throw they'll have.

Fluorescent lights don't throw much at all I would say 20 feet tops and all of the regular house lights needs to be totally off. So if mounted in the ceiling in a gym they might not really effectively reach the floor. I am not sure where you are in MD but McDaniels college had us come back to do lighting for one of their Blacklight Parties. I regularly go to Frederick MD if the client has a budget and is close.

UV LEDS aren't quite Blacklight quality. 370nm is the peak wavelength to get things fluorescing .. LEDs barely get below 390nm and are more purple than UV. If you want to make white shirts light up, they are OK .. If you want fluorescent paint to pop, you really need fluorescent tubes or mercury vapor lamps. The ADJ UV Canon uses a mercury vapor bulb.