Video Jocks Best camera for doing live dance floor feed

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Firehousedj

Well-Known DJ
I am in the process of getting a video projector so I can do monogram projection like many other here do. I am now thinking that it would be easy to do live dance floor feed to a screen using the same projector later on in the event. I am looking for suggestions as to the type of camera I would need. I was looking into a camera like the GOPRO or similar and like the fact that you can control them remotely because it will be mounted on my truss and aimed to cover the dance floor. Thank You in advance for any recommendations you may have

First off, forget doing a webcam. Low-lighting means you'd need a 3-chip camera (or pro equivalent) to work. That said, still shots work much better than a cam, IMHO. I run a live slideshow that I call Live-Pics. Each shot gets 5 seconds on the screen. The fun of it is the people are just staring at themselves in the camera. They'll be dancing later and their pic pops on-screen and it gives them 5 seconds of pseudo-celebrity. It just works better.

Reactions: 3 people
EVI-D70 is pretty good (we have 2). BRC-300 is super (we have 3). the 300 isn't nearly as susceptible to movement...from hvac, from building vibrations (some of our work involves hanging the cams from the red iron), and is much smoother moving and easier to control, which means it can be further away from the target and still have good results as compared to the 70.

Reactions: 2 people
I know this is an old thread but I am just just curious.

Valerie, do you find a noticeable difference between those two Sony's as far as low light performance goes?

The minimum illumination requirements for the BRC-300 is 7 lux while only 1 lux is required for the EVI-D70.

Just curious if a minimum requirement of 6 more lux makes a difference in the real world.

The EVID70 is a LOT better at managing the low light, while the BRC300 is better at vibrations and better picture quality. After playing with both quite a bit, we don't use the 300's at dances, only live productions where we can control the (stage) lighting. When you have that minimum lighting for the 300, it walks all over the evid70....but in dim light, like changing/chasing dance floor lighting, the 70 rocks hands down.

Thanks for the info, Valerie.

So does anyone know of any low light cam with better resolution than the EVI-D70's 480 lines?

The BRC-300 is 600 lines of res but something with at least 720 would be nice.

Also if anyone has video they've taken with the EVI-D70 they could post a link to that would be great.
Just trying to determine if the 480 lines of res would be sufficient if it was projected onto maybe an eight to ten foot screen.

480 lines is DVD quality

the videos on our website are from evi-d70s truss mounted (height generally 14-16'). Typically the rooms we play are pretty dark, maybe with a light on in a corner or 2 for security, so the majority if not all of the light comes from our dance floor lighting. When I'm using the cams (live screen or recording) I tend to stick to brighter chases to keep the ambient light up better.

Reactions: ittigger