Besides a packed dance floor what makes the job fun to you?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Actually I thought about it and I haven't had a person give me a super long list of songs they want played at an event in a long time. I have people that have either seen me in action or hired me to do an event and know what I can do. People that don't know me contacting me about possibly doing an event for them, I'm usually able to convince them I know what I'm doing. So they trust that when it comes to playing music at the event I will get it right.

Anytime I don't feel we would be the right company for the event or I simply don't feel comfortable with doing an event for a potential client I will pass on the job.
How many people that you don't know have actually contacted your for a gig in the last 2 years, and how many actually booked you.

Reactions: ittigger
That's your opinion about the mechanic I've dealt with for all those years and you have a right to your opinion. There are always going to be people like you who say that's too much to pay someone for a job they're doing. I'd rather pay them to do the job than take a chance on someone I don't know and risk them not getting the job done right.

It's not my opinion and I clearly stated that. I would much rather pay someone a fair rate and know the job is getting done than overpay and know the job is getting done. Because you did no research, you didn't know what to pay. You have proven this time and time again. You overpaid for your tablet. You overpaid for your van.

It's not my opinion and I clearly stated that. I would much rather pay someone a fair rate and know the job is getting done than overpay and know the job is getting done. Because you did no research, you didn't know what to pay. You have proven this time and time again. You overpaid for your tablet. You overpaid for your van.
So anyway let's get back to the topic at hand. Would you be OK with someone providing you with a list of 100 songs for you to play at an event? Is that something you would need someone to do?

100 song playlist is no big deal... just has a better chance of having songs u planned to play anyway...

id look it over and pick out some good stuff .. maybe 25 to 50... playable songs... pepper in some floor fillers from your personal experience...and give them a party... at the end of the night ....say something like...."Wow....the night went by so fast ... Sorry i couldnt get to all the requests...i was so excited to play them"

you might even say.... "hopefully next time we can play the rest".... planting the seed for future event bookings...lol

cc

It's their event. Who am I to dictate what they want?
Who said anything about dictating to anyone. I just said I don't feel the need for someone to supply me with a super long list like that. If they do feel they need to like I said that says to me they don't trust that I know what I'm doing. If you call a plumber to fix an issue you're having, when they get there do you tell them how to do their job?

Who said anything about dictating to anyone. I just said I don't feel the need for someone to supply me with a super long list like that. If they do feel they need to like I said that says to me they don't trust that I know what I'm doing. If you call a plumber to fix an issue you're having, when they get there do you tell them how to do their job?
You DO tell them what you want, the types of fixtures you want (sinks, toilets, tubs) .. their colors, sizes, etc. I wouldn't have a plumber come over and get to decide what they're going to provide.

A client shouldn't tell you how to move your knobs and faders, but telling you what music THEY want is fine ...

You DO tell them what you want, the types of fixtures you want (sinks, toilets, tubs) .. their colors, sizes, etc. I wouldn't have a plumber come over and get to decide what they're going to provide.

A client shouldn't tell you how to move your knobs and faders, but telling you what music THEY want is fine ...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand thats how analogies work... nicely done

cc

schlepping gear. nothing better.
Well, then there's the playing with a big stereo, that part is ok.
the glory--being treated like a rock star; that's ok too.

I have to agree,,, I love playing with my big stereo, sadly, because I am not doing schools anymore, my stereo is not as big, nor are my lights, which I truly do miss.

I also miss being treated like a rockstar which is what it used to be like in the old days of school dances.....

I will admit I have lost some of my DJ Jazz not doing schools, but time and my hair moves on... :) Now I just have to be happy doing parties for 30 people and making $1500.00 LOL,,, WHEN ONE DOOR CLOSES..............

You got it in terms of them telling us what music they want to be played at their event. I can actually go with a play list if given one but don't care for them. As far as the plumber thing, I said it right. You can tell them the kind of toilet you want but do you tell them how to install it? If you can tell them how to install it then what do you need them for?

As far as the plumber thing, I said it right. You can tell them the kind of toilet you want but do you tell them how to install it? If you can tell them how to install it then what do you need them for?
Right .. the client can tell you the songs they want .. they shouldn't need to tell you how to "play" a song.

Right .. the client can tell you the songs they want .. they shouldn't need to tell you how to "play" a song.
My thing is I feel I just need the genre's of music a client wants and I should be able to cover things from there. A simple list of songs they want I'm fine with that. I just don't get why someone would book a DJ and then feel they need to give the DJ a great big list of songs they want them to play. Either they know what they're doing or they simply don't. If a DJ is not sure of what to do then why agree to do the job in the first place.

We haven't even talked about the client that springs this list on you after signing the contract and insist you play everything on that list. You can't deviate from that list no matter how bad the event is going. A situation like that no matter how much you try to explain that this is what the client wants and there's nothing you can do will not stop people from blaming you for the event not going well.

A client like that is scary to me. If all goes well great. Now what if what I just said happens? How do you recover from that? Some just see that as long as they are getting paid it doesn't matter. I say the backlash you get from people telling others about the bad job you did that's not your fault could cost you gugs.

My thing is I feel I just need the genre's of music a client wants and I should be able to cover things from there. A simple list of songs they want I'm fine with that. I just don't get why someone would book a DJ and then feel they need to give the DJ a great big list of songs they want them to play. Either they know what they're doing or they simply don't. If a DJ is not sure of what to do then why agree to do the job in the first place.

We haven't even talked about the client that springs this list on you after signing the contract and insist you play everything on that list. You can't deviate from that list no matter how bad the event is going. A situation like that no matter how much you try to explain that this is what the client wants and there's nothing you can do will not stop people from blaming you for the event not going well.

A client like that is scary to me. If all goes well great. Now what if what I just said happens? How do you recover from that? Some just see that as long as they are getting paid it doesn't matter. I say the backlash you get from people telling others about the bad job you did that's not your fault could cost you gugs.
That's what YOU WANT .. the issue is when a client requests more than that. You seem to be stuck not being able to handle that. If the client is happy, I'm OK .. I don't worry about what others might think (assuming everything is up to professional standards).

Ok I’m a client... I want my wedding to be mostly top 40, some current danceable hip hop, and some good club/house music. Name 10 songs you would play at an event like that

Ok I’m a client... I want my wedding to be mostly top 40, some current danceable hip hop, and some good club/house music. Name 10 songs you would play at an event like that

im also a client....i want BOTH types of music.... country AND western

aaaaaand GO!

cc

im also a client....i want BOTH types of music.... country AND western

aaaaaand GO!

cc
Honestly I would more than likely pass that one up as we may have the music but not familiar with that style of music. I didn't know there was Country and Western music. I thought it was all the same Country Western.

I just said I don't feel the need for someone to supply me with a super long list like that. If they do feel they need to like I said that says to me they don't trust that I know what I'm doing.

If it makes the *CUSTOMER* more comfortable, they can give me a list of however many songs they want. If they feel that need, odds are they have somewhat eclectic tastes or requests, have had a bad experience previously, or I haven't sold them enough to have confidence in giving us total free rein. In addition, some people enjoy that part of planning...and I wouldn't take it away from them. Sometimes the client is a music geek and has spent hours sorting through playlists, not because they think the DJ is incapable but because they know what they like and are excited. There are 100 different scenarios. None of them are wrong. Any of them are welcome. We can work with a list, no list, long list, short list....it doesn't matter. We can make it work because THAT is our job. Sometimes it's challenging to utilize their extensive list effectively....conversely, sometimes it's challenging to involve the crowd without a list. Whatever. Each event is unique. We don't have to rely on a cliche tried (and tired) and true playlist to pull off a great event.

If it makes the *CUSTOMER* more comfortable, they can give me a list of however many songs they want. If they feel that need, odds are they have somewhat eclectic tastes or requests, have had a bad experience previously, or I haven't sold them enough to have confidence in giving us total free rein. In addition, some people enjoy that part of planning...and I wouldn't take it away from them. Sometimes the client is a music geek and has spent hours sorting through playlists, not because they think the DJ is incapable but because they know what they like and are excited. There are 100 different scenarios. None of them are wrong. Any of them are welcome. We can work with a list, no list, long list, short list....it doesn't matter. We can make it work because THAT is our job. Sometimes it's challenging to utilize their extensive list effectively....conversely, sometimes it's challenging to involve the crowd without a list. Whatever. Each event is unique. We don't have to rely on a cliche tried (and tired) and true playlist to pull off a great event.
Now that makes better sense. I love how you said that What the hope is that what they give you to play on that list works well for that event and if it's not working for that event they allow you to do your thing. The big thing for me is that because of what the client wants doesn't make us look bad. If it's just us making the mistake I can accept it's our fault and move on.

Now that makes better sense. I love how you said that What the hope is that what they give you to play on that list works well for that event and if it's not working for that event they allow you to do your thing.
I never said that. Someone else may have. I said we will make their list work. Maybe that is by mixing it up some with other guest requests, or what we feel is a good mix for the crowd. I have never asked a customer if we can do what we want if their request list isn't working. Not once in over 20 years. It's our job to MAKE their list work.

The big thing for me is that because of what the client wants doesn't make us look bad. If it's just us making the mistake I can accept it's our fault and move on.
Make their list work and you won't look bad. It's simple. Having challenges is what sharpens your skills. Step out of your comfort zone and find a way to make that list work like magic. Besides, sometimes you find some untought of gems that way! Look at it as an opportunity and a challenge instead of a limitation. Yeah, I get it, sometimes their list isn't parallel to their guests tastes...know what? Make it work anyway!