Bad DJs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I had that happen to me for my wedding, the first the DJ venue suggested, after the initial meet and greet, nothing, stopped communicating with me.

Far as I know, that bloke is not a bottom feeder DJ, we are both member's of a large vendor group, and seems to be somewhat respected within that circle jerk off group, well, not by me.......

So this castle venue to rent it for a wedding on a Saturday night cost $5,900. My question for that area is this a low medium or high end venue?

He didn't say it cost that much. He said ..
The thing is, this venue costs like $5,900 for a Saturday in season wedding.

On their site, they state that prices range from $3000 to $5800.

What do you get at that venue for (like) $5,900?

You get the facility, power and parking, that's it.

What is your lowest price you would do a wedding for and what would they get for that price?

Why are you asking this question yet again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jas
He didn't say it cost that much. He said ..

On their site, they state that prices range from $3000 to $5800.

You get the facility, power and parking, that's it.

Why are you asking this question yet again.
Why I asked that question again is because what some will think is too low to do a wedding and beneith them another DJ would easily accept the job. The other reason is because most DJs didn't start at the top. They had to work hard to get to a certain price point where they no longer had to deal with brides looking to book a DJ for $500 or less.

I personally hate when a DJ puts down another DJ based on price alone without knowing how good or bad that DJ is.

Why I asked that question again is because what some will think is too low to do a wedding and beneith them another DJ would easily accept the job. The other reason is because most DJs didn't start at the top. They had to work hard to get to a certain price point where they no longer had to deal with brides looking to book a DJ for $500 or less.

I personally hate when a DJ puts down another DJ based on price alone without knowing how good or bad that DJ is.

As many times as this has been asked by you, you already have the opinions of everyone here (and at the other boards).

By the way, just had YET ANOTHER call from a bride whose DJ had stopped communicating with them. She apparently missed an in-person meeting, ticked the guy off, so he quit talking. This is for a wedding at my friend's new farm venue (I've been working hard to be their first-call) for 9/3/17. Yep, 2.5 weeks out. She said they want to book and I sent paperwork this morning. God bless these competitors of mine who are too busy to communicate with clients.

Today must be the day for bad DJs. Trying to help a bride who has a non-communicating DJ. She booked him thru her photographer (combo package) and now the DJ won't communicate. She was trying to put together a complete playlist. Right after that, I get a call from a guy whose DJ also quit communicating with them. I tell him I may still have a guy available (9/9/17) and ask him what his budget is. He then hedges and wants to know what I charge. I told him $850 for reception and $150 more if they need ceremony sound. He tells me, "Oh, I'm trying to stay at $500." I told him sorry, I couldn't do it for that. The weird part is the DJ is an established player here in town.

Like I always say, Bad DJ's are Cheap and Good DJ's Aren't !

Reactions: ittigger
Like I always say, Bad DJ's are Cheap and Good DJ's Aren't !

Amen. BTW, the bride I just mentioned has paid her balance and added a $180 tip. She's pretty happy to have someone who will actually communicate. Who knew?

Reactions: Andy A and ittigger
I never buy into the "Bad DJ" stories. After all, even if the story is true (and it's usually inaccurate at best) they chose this person.
Bad choice = Bad DJ is a false equation.

Besides a DJ not communicating with a client, what would you say makes for a bad DJ? I will chime in as I am on way to doing something.

Besides a DJ not communicating with a client, what would you say makes for a bad DJ? I will chime in as I am on way to doing something.

A DJ who sits down the entire time, and lets the songs play completely, and end before bringing on the next song. A DJ who shows up, and start's late. A DJ who does not know how to run the flow of a wedding, or the event they are performing. A DJ who does not dress professional, or adequate for the event they are doing. A DJ who brings terrible sounding equipment that has a lot of feedback problems with the microphones. A DJ who does a poor job MCing, A DJ who doesn't communicate with their clients prior to the event. A DJ who chain smokes, or get's drunk or high during the event. A DJ who plays weird songs that are not conducive for dancing (and it's not the client's demanded must play list).

...I am sure there are stuff I missed, but that's the bulk of it.

A DJ who sits down the entire time, and lets the songs play completely, and end before bringing on the next song. A DJ who shows up, and start's late. A DJ who does not know how to run the flow of a wedding, or the event they are performing. A DJ who does not dress professional, or adequate for the event they are doing. A DJ who brings terrible sounding equipment that has a lot of feedback problems with the microphones. A DJ who does a poor job MCing, A DJ who doesn't communicate with their clients prior to the event. A DJ who chain smokes, or get's drunk or high during the event. A DJ who plays weird songs that are not conducive for dancing (and it's not the client's demanded must play list).

I've always wondered why sitting down makes you a bad DJ? Is there a button on your ass that makes you lose your skill?

I've always stood most of the night but I would sit at times. This year I've been not well and my energy is pretty low and I'm in almost constant pain (unless I medicate so I guess that's two strikes against me) so I've been sitting a lot more. I see no real difference in how the crowd reacts to what I'm doing

In the case of this thread, my "bad DJ" is defined as a guy who will take a deposit on a date then stops communicating with the bride to be. About the only thing left is not showing up at the gig.

Reactions: Ausumm
Hi guys! like this subject! DJ Ricky B is right, I always bring a mat to stand on, it really helps, Costco 40.00$ and have a ADJ stool, but it's true , people want to see a DJ at work and who is there....:) not sitting down the entire evening...

Guys, I have a question, how do you deal with the one person who at the end of the evening never wants you to end.... and you know that person , has had too many drinks....

Hi guys! like this subject! DJ Ricky B is right, I always bring a mat to stand on, it really helps, Costco 40.00$ and have a ADJ stool, but it's true , people want to see a DJ at work and who is there....:) not sitting down the entire evening...

Guys, I have a question, how do you deal with the one person who at the end of the evening never wants you to end.... and you know that person , has had too many drinks....

"I'd love to stay and play. My company won't let me go past the contract time unless they are paid more. (thru don't need to know I own the company). The hall might not like it either"(if applicable)

Welcome Pierre and thanks for your input. As for your question, after I've started the last song, I make the final song announcement then I lock my PC (ctrl-alt-del), then walk away from the DJ table. If I'm not behind the table, the pest has nobody to pester. After the song is over, and with a sufficient bit of dead air, I'll go back up and give instructions on where to go for the grand exit. If the pest shows back up I simply tell them, "The party is over."

Reactions: dunlopj
After I've started the last song, I make the final song announcement then I lock my PC (ctrl-alt-del), then walk away from the DJ table. If I'm not behind the table, the pest has nobody to pester.

Ricky, that's brilliant! A little harsh, yet effective!

"Hey...where'd the DJ go? I wanna pester him for 1 more song...Oh well, let me look for one my self....hey, wait a minute..."

I'd love to walk away and just watch it happen...:)

I've always wondered why sitting down makes you a bad DJ?
Sitting doesn't necessarily make one a bad DJ and standing doesn't necessarily make one a good DJ either. However, high energy, entertaining DJs tend to get higher paying gigs and that pretty much requires being on one's feet most of the night.

Furthermore, sitting DJs also tend to do very little besides sitting! There's a stigma attached to it.

I've endured aching feet and an aching back because I've been taught that a DJ should never sit down. This year I bring my own stool and sit when it's appropriate (during speeches etc.) or when my dogs are begging to take a break.

The whole stand/sit war is something that I've never understood why it's a continuing argument. Does sitting make you a worse DJ? Absolutely not. I sat thru the last couple of hours of my event this past Saturday. I think the problem that the "sit camp" glosses over is the issue of client perception. Selling oneself as a "good DJ" is probably more an issue of perception than actual playing of music. It's a lot like the issue of texting while working. We all know you can text while working but if the client deems you to be texting too much, it gives them something to hold against you. If standing helps me get into a better light with a client, or their guests, then I'm going to stand and do everything I can to sell them.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm