DMX Auto Modes/DMX Software Control

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Randy A

Party Time Hobbyist
Jan 4, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
www.partytunesdjservice.com
I'm a DMX software-based user. I use Freestyler for my software. I've spent countless hours trying to program "individual" lights, only to find that the built-in shows are typically far more superior when it comes to the traditional dance-movement lighting. So, I like that I can program macro buttons within my software that I can use to switch between the built-in programs.

I do also like to use ADJ UC3 controller when available, because I can be manipulating one light while bringing up/shutting down another. To me, that's the best of both worlds (technically I guess the UC3 controller is a dumbed down DMX controller) when it comes to controlling and creating variety in a light show.

But, before you can even understand or create macros or scenes, you must know the basics when it comes to DMX. @Tyrone Blue and his book were a god-send when I started down that path many moons ago. He very quickly and easily established the foundation that I needed. His book is well worth the money that I invested, which honestly was cheap.

Reactions: ittigger
Could an Admin please move the DMX discussion ( Whatdayathink over in the big show) I started a few days ago and lessons over to this forum? Thanks

I'd like to move to a touch screen solution myself.

Totally agree!
I was looking at using a raspberry Pi with a 7" Touch screen attached running QLC+, but I don't think its ready just yet.

I have an old 13" 800x600 LCD display that has serial touchscreen that no longer works, If I got that fixed, it might be something to consider with the Pi mounted to the back as a controller device. allowing for larger buttons than the 7" could provide, and it would be stand alone.

QLC+ by Massimo Callegari

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy A
I already have a RP2, but it is currently a Kodi Multimedia device in my living room. Now that the Paspberry Pi 3 is out with built in wifi and bluetooth, and a 1.2Ghz processor instead of 900Mhz, I might give it another go. It's only $35 +tax and shipping for one.

I would like to get an ipad pro for my Show Xpress triggers, that would be pretty awesome. It works okay on my normal ipad but the larger the screen the better, especially when running a large show. Currently my best option for large shows is to use an external 24 inch monitor for my " Buttons " and then i use an Apple Wireless track pad so i can stand up and move whereever and still access everything quickly and easily