Are you one of those dj's who...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
lol...that brings up another key reason i dont eat... one bad piece of chicken... or mismanage your poop clock...and u are in for a miserable performance...or WORSE...

id much rather have a little stomach growl than hit a brown note on the "one"...

cc

Personally, I do not eat before an event for this very reason. I will accept food during the event (and meals are required in my contract), however, I typically do not consume said food until after the formalities are over - especially since I have other things to do/stage/prepare for during dinner. I'll typically put the food behind my rack or coffin and eat it little bits at a time during a long song (such as the cha cha slide). Typically, we eat at our stations unless there is a vendor table or room. Anyone I send out under my company is instructed that our work comes first, and they are to wait until after all guest have circulated a buffet unless there is a reason they need to make a plate earlier. I don't really worry about food poisoning at 98% of the events I am at - I would probably be more likely to get sick off something I leave in my truck all day than something at the hall. There have been times (especially during cold and flu season) where I have questioned the temp and sanitation of particular food items (and health of some guests) and have elected not to eat. This was a business decision to protect the weddings I had in the weeks to come. I'm particularly careful when I see people with colds as I have chronic sinus issues and having a voice is kind of imperative for this job.

As an owner, I tell my Djs they are not to consume alcohol of any nature unless they are invited to share in the toast and it would look bad if they do not participate. Mainly this is because of the liability. It does not say anything in my contracts or marketing materials about us abstaining. There have been a handful of occasions where a bride or groom has approached me to do a shot or brought me a beer (without me asking) and I have consumed the drink with them. I would never go to the bar and order an alcoholic beverage, as it looks unprofessional in front of the guests. Additionally, I would never want to consume anything to the point where I would be potentially impaired (even if it just means a drink or two could make me tired at some point in the evening), (again, the liabilities). Declining the offering of "the boss" however (bride and groom) could subjectively make you look like a stick in the mud or be construed as rude - so there's a potential fine line and moral dilemma. I have never seen a hall actually ban a vendor from drinking. Half the halls I am at actually offer me alcoholic beverages which I politely decline.

consuming food after formalities makes zero sense to me since after formalities is when you will be working the hardest and not able to eat as your are DJing.

I even have it in my contract that I MUST EAT 20 minutes before any formalities, and if Buffett, that means jumping in line immediately.

I am shocked to hear people eat at their DJ station, yet along, while DJing. You don't think that looks bad???

Reactions: djcrazychris
consuming food after formalities makes zero sense to me since after formalities is when you will be working the hardest and not able to eat as your are DJing.

I even have it in my contract that I MUST EAT 20 minutes before any formalities, and if Buffett, that means jumping in line immediately.

I am shocked to hear people eat at their DJ station, yet along, while DJing. You don't think that looks bad???
Well again... regional differences perhaps play a role. Keep in mind the following at least for our area here in NJ/NYC/Philly:
- Many Venues (especially upscale ones) require clients to purchase vendor meals... typically the same food as guests eat, at a discounted rate since they're not receiving the attention of the wait staff and consuming alcohol. People ask all the time why do they require it... well its actually really simple. Vendors are asked just as much, if not more, than guests about what they think about a certain venue. Feed them and make em happy, they speak positively, don't feed them or give them a supar expereince and they may speak negatively or not as positively.

- Being that we eat the same food as the guests... we also eat at the same time as guests. Idk what much there is to do during dinner other than background music. Likewise, all vendors are eating, including photogs and video guys, so I doubt any formality would be taking place with them not being present.

- Food here for the vendors is generally served at a different location than the actual guests. This could be a smaller room, the cocktail hour area, outside on a patio, the kitchen area, a vendor table in a corner of the reception room, or simply eating at the bar. Likewise if a buffet exists, they'd have an area set up for us to eat.

- What if you don't want to eat while you work... well depending on the venue, refer back to my first point. Many venues require vendor meals.

Reactions: djcrazychris
Taso, it looks like we are agreeing on the same points. Everything you said above is what I have experienced and is generally true out here in CA. Having lived in 3 states now, it has been the exact same for me...

Regional differences aside, I value the importance of eating, and that's why I include it in my contract and absolutely discuss it with the client during final meetings so they understand why I eat at the beginning of dinner (before, NOT after any formalities). I would not perform the same without a meal (not including breakfast) on a 12 hr job.

The best part about vendors is that there is an agreement in form of a contract, and each vendor can specify whatever they wish in their contract.

Last edited:
This topic was brought up with a Senior DJ group on facebook. Several DJs said that they go thru the buffet line after half of the guests have rather than waiting until all guests have gone thru. That way they won't still be eating when it's time to MC events coming up. I've always waited until all guests have gone thru but this makes sense.

I've been to a couple of venues that have vendor meals that aren't nearly as good as what the guests get. Just call it a box lunch. Some venues have a table for vendors to eat at, pretty much just the DJs, photographers and videographers which is thoughtful IMO. It might be a chance to get to know other vendors and go over events of the night.

I remember a wedding long ago where I sat at a guest's table during dinner and a song got a little too loud. The bride kind of acted like I was eating instead of doing my job. Of course I got up and adjusted the volume but it was a bit of a strike against the DJ in her eyes.

Another thing to watch out for is many wedding DJs gain a lot of weight! Don't overeat!

I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread. But in my experience, eating or sitting is not a problem, until the client is not happy with the service.
If you are nailing it, they won't even notice. But if you are dropping the ball, they'll notice the little things.

The reality is if I'm hungry, I'll eat. If I'm tired, I'll sit. If those are things that the client remembers about the evening, I did something wrong.

I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread. But in my experience, eating or sitting is not a problem, until the client is not happy with the service.
If you are nailing it, they won't even notice. But if you are dropping the ball, they'll notice the little things.

The reality is if I'm hungry, I'll eat. If I'm tired, I'll sit. If those are things that the client remembers about the evening, I did something wrong.
ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!!

First of all, I married an Italian.
My wife and mother-in-law taught me that when someone offers you a meal...you eat it.
To refuse it is an insult.
Although I have had plenty of gigs where I did NOT eat dinner (for one reason or another)
I never passed it up if someone offered it to me.
When the people who hire you, personally offer you a meal...or say, "make sure you eat"...
I do.
And I recently found out that I have Diverticulitis.
So me eating ANY food...could send me into fits of surprise, explosive diarrhea.
I have my first wedding since getting the symptoms this weekend.
(I'm bringing extra undies)

First of all, I married an Italian.
My wife and mother-in-law taught me that when someone offers you a meal...you eat it.
To refuse it is an insult.
Although I have had plenty of gigs where I did NOT eat dinner (for one reason or another)
I never passed it up if someone offered it to me.
When the people who hire you, personally offer you a meal...or say, "make sure you eat"...
I do.
And I recently found out that I have Diverticulitis.
So me eating ANY food...could send me into fits of surprise, explosive diarrhea.
I have my first wedding since getting the symptoms this weekend.
(I'm bringing extra undies)
TMI .. :sick:

I'm a very picky eater. So usually what they have to offer I won't eat. If it's something I like and it's not a problem, then yes I will eat.

I'm a very picky eater. So usually what they have to offer I won't eat. If it's something I like and it's not a problem, then yes I will eat.
I thought you usually paid for a plate to get in at most of the events.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

what you pay for a plate of food when 20% will leave food how waste full is that..........

Reactions: ittigger