Are any of the so-called lead services really "worth" anything?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
1) Focus on getting respect from your clients
2) Be a good person to EVERYONE, not just people you think can help you. Be genuinely nice to people. I got a gig from a waitress at a local restaurant I go to on occasion. I'd talk to her and she found out what I did. One day, she said her sister was getting married and she asked if I'd call her. She told her sister she didn't know how I was at djng, but I was the nicest person she'd ever met. I've been referred from people on these boards. Read "how to win friend and influence people"
3) Don't worry about pleasing other Djs. If you do the 2 things above, you'll get plenty of respect from good people, many of them will be Djs.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
1) Focus on getting respect from your clients
2) Be a good person to EVERYONE, not just people you think can help you. Be genuinely nice to people.

Yea, sincerity is everything, and once you can fake that stuff you've got it made. :laugh:

I don't need to please DJ's. Other DJ's don't pay my bills. I mean I don't care. Sure I would like to be seen as a friend, I'd like to be your friend, not really a competition. I'm hardly a competition to anything. I feel that without actually "being here" it's hard to see the whole picture. But if you did come here you could see the whole picture. Do you look at just one piece of the jig saw puzzle or do you look at the whole picture to solve it?

IThe lead service for right now, if I decide to use one, is going to be Eventective.

Gotta watch ALL of those "pay-to-play" lead services.
You can never be sure the leads are genuine.
In the end...paying someone for finding you a gig is perfect.
Paying for a name, a date, and an email address...is just wasting money.
I was with them for a few years, and they NEVER sent me one lead that was less than 2-hours away.

I'd be seen as a bottom feeder among other DJ's and not compatible with other DJ's.

We all fed from the bottom to get a foothold. The key is not to STAY at the bottom.

I do agree that I do need to be out working. No argument there. I have landed 3 gigs this past week, way more than I ever would imagined. I'll be looking forward to finding out how they found me so I can go after that angle.

Do a great job, make friends with the families.
This coming Friday, I will be doing my 6th gig with the same family.
Weddings, birthday parties, anniversaries, and a few Holiday picnics.
Every gig I do for them, I meet more people. (aka more potential clients)

In this business..... WORKING begets WORKING

We all fed from the bottom to get a foothold. The key is not to STAY at the bottom.

Do a great job, make friends with the families.
This coming Friday, I will be doing my 6th gig with the same family.
Weddings, birthday parties, anniversaries, and a few Holiday picnics.
Every gig I do for them, I meet more people. (aka more potential clients)

In this business..... WORKING begets WORKING

And that is the best advice in this thread

Maybe you're doing something wrong then? I refer booked dates to a few DJs and they to me. So yeah, at times other Djs DO pay my bills.

I don't need to please DJ's. Other DJ's don't pay my bills. I mean I don't care. Sure I would like to be seen as a friend, I'd like to be your friend, not really a competition. I'm hardly a competition to anything. I feel that without actually "being here" it's hard to see the whole picture. But if you did come here you could see the whole picture. Do you look at just one piece of the jig saw puzzle or do you look at the whole picture to solve it?

I am struggling to get gigs. I charge a small amount because of the level of service I provide. I only provide Djing/MCing services. I do not do lighting or photo booths. I look for small to midsized events with clients with an eye for a chance to spend some of their entertainment cash elsewhere.

I don't sign up for those lead generation services. I got a $100 dollar credit for one of those outfits and immediately got 3 suggestions in a matter of a couple of hours after signing up. I don't know if they are real or not, but I just don't trust them.

The hardest part about getting gigs is starting out. I have only a few weddings, a couple parties, but a lot of bar/pub gigs. I need to figure a way to get in front of more clients.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I am struggling to get gigs. I charge a small amount because of the level of service I provide. I only provide Djing/MCing services. I do not do lighting or photo booths. I look for small to midsized events with clients with an eye for a chance to spend some of their entertainment cash elsewhere.

I don't sign up for those lead generation services. I got a $100 dollar credit for one of those outfits and immediately got 3 suggestions in a matter of a couple of hours after signing up. I don't know if they are real or not, but I just don't trust them.

The hardest part about getting gigs is starting out. I have only a few weddings, a couple parties, but a lot of bar/pub gigs. I need to figure a way to get in front of more clients.

Contact a local talent agency, OR make a list of the biggest DJ companies in your area. Contact them too, and see if you can be a subcontractor with any of them. Being an employee can be nice too as long as they aren't low balling you on net pay.

When I started with the talent agency, that is when I moved from doing 12 private gigs a year to 50 to 60 gigs a year all in under a 12 to 18 month time frame.

I will add that the first 3 years being a mobile DJ are the hardest years to make money.

Contact a local talent agency, OR make a list of the biggest DJ companies in your area. Contact them too, and see if you can be a subcontractor with any of them. Being an employee can be nice too as long as they aren't low balling you on net pay.

When I started with the talent agency, that is when I moved from doing 12 private gigs a year to 50 to 60 gigs a year all in under a 12 to 18 month time frame.

I will add that the first 3 years being a mobile DJ are the hardest years to make money.

Thanks for the advice. It's something to think about.

Thanks for the advice. It's something to think about.

Ricky is probably right on spot there. It`s hard to build a reputation starting from scratch. The one thing to remember when dealing with agents or other DJ`s, from my experience, is you are in charge. Be agreeable but don`t get sucked in