Anyone Ever Do An Entire Event Playing Unusual Covers?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Bobcat

DJ Extraordinerror
Nov 8, 2014
Oklahoma City
I have about 5 weeks before my final event of the year... It's a social event for a professional organization at a venue I posted in a previous thread.

Normally, I play mainstream Top 40 and Country, with some Electronic Dance. The only opportunity I have to get a little creative is when I play dinners and cocktail hours, and I can mix some Jazz and New Age in.

For this upcoming event, I'm seriously thinking of playing mostly retro style versions of popular songs, mixed with some Modern Swing style music at least for the Cocktail and Diner hours, and then some cool, but lesser known dance tracks for the Dance hour.

The client is expecting oldies, and some of the tracks are from the 60's, 70's, and 80's; only they're done in 30's, 40's, and 50's styles. It would be totally different from anything else anyone around here does.

I could mix in some more mainstream stuff, but with only 3 hours, I won't have a lot of time for it, and still stick with the retro cover theme.

What do ya think? Is this idea too risky? Will I p1$$ off too many of the guests? The age range is from mid 20's to mid 60's. It's gonna be difficult to please everyone, even if I stick to the mainstream stuff. I know many of you do weddings, and play for a similar age range, but wedding receptions are focused on the desires of the wedding couple, where this event is not about anyone. Has anyone tried something like this? If so, how did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
Based on what I've seen over time, people prefer to hear the songs they know. A different version could be good - but it can also be bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: sonic-vision
for weddings its not unusual for me to play acoustic cover songs during dinner or cocktial hour

LOL... OK... I call that (acoustic covers) Elevator Music. When I usually play instrumental tracks; original compositions, which are generally performed by the composer.

What I'm thinking about doing is playing well known songs performed in a retro style. I'll post an example... when I can get to my computer.[emoji1]

Last edited:
I would play this one, for example...

...which is a cover of this one...

This is an example of the instrumental tracks I play...

^^^^ this one is one of my faves, but I have thousands of CD's of this type of music.:djsmug:

Last edited:
Based on what I've seen over time, people prefer to hear the songs they know. A different version could be good - but it can also be bad.

Yes... True. But any more, people can play those songs on their phones or tablets any time they want from numerous streaming sites. My daughter listens to 80's stuff on Pandora all day when she's at work. Is there a market for something a little different? I don't know??:-/

But that's just it. If they have it on their devices, then that's what they like. If you can show them something better, then it'll work - it comes down to who's definition of better.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
But that's just it. If they have it on their devices, then that's what they like. If you can show them something better, then it'll work - it comes down to who's definition of better.

It's always hard to improve on the original. Even if it is better technically or the performer of the cover has a better voice, most people will prefer the original because it is ingrained in them by repeated play, or marks a particular moment in their lives.

I just think that some people would be entertained by something different... a one night only special event. I'm unusual though... I never got stuck in the music of my youth... hardly ever listen to 60's rock.[emoji4]

If I'm going to do it, it will have to be REALLY SPECIAL![emoji4]

Ooo postmodern jukebox... I play those from time to time too. Either gatsby themed events or some of their slower ones during dinner. They’re actually extremely popular and the clown puddles (he does royals) is more famous now that he was on America’s got talent

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Ooo postmodern jukebox... I play those from time to time too. Either gatsby themed events or some of their slower ones during dinner. They’re actually extremely popular and the clown puddles (he does royals) is more famous now that he was on America’s got talent

Yes; exactly... Postmodern Jukebox... and stuff like that. Puddles is cool too.[emoji4] There are a number of retro groups and modern swing bands who do updated versions of big band songs. I think it would make for an unusual experience.[emoji4]

Yes; exactly... Postmodern Jukebox... and stuff like that. Puddles is cool too.[emoji4] There are a number of retro groups and modern swing bands who do updated versions of big band songs. I think it would make for an unusual experience.[emoji4]

I think you’d be surprised how popular some of those actually are with certain crowds, especially the 25-35yr old group.

What do ya think? Is this idea too risky?
I would tread lightly. Throw in a couple and see what happens. Songs that are well known with a good dance beat have a good chance of working. But I would avoid songs that are obscure.

For cocktail hour, why not?

How does "what you want to do"..... fit in with "what the client wants"?
If the client is requesting or expecting "oldies"... you have a 50/50 chance of success.

How does "what you want to do"..... fit in with "what the client wants"?
If the client is requesting or expecting "oldies"... you have a 50/50 chance of success.

Haven't run it by the client yet, but I plan to soon. He seemed pretty open to letting me play whatever I wanted, but heard from one of the guests (to be) that he was hoping for some oldies. Could be he thought, because I'M an OLDIE[emoji1], that's what I play. But honestly, I try NOT to play many oldies if I can avoid it.[emoji4]

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm