Any Mobile DJs using FLAC

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Primecuts recently started offering FLAC along with MP3downloads. As a mobile non club DJ, Is it worth it for the extra time to download and extra space it uses to start downloading FLAC files?

Not using FLAC, but if I could get a do-over, I probably would. Back when I started ripping my CD's, disk space was expensive and the largest available disks were about 320GB. So I scanned to MP3's to keep from filling up all my disk space. Once I went the MP3 route, I just continued to add MP3's to my library, though I increased the bit rate on the newer ones as disk sizes increased and the cost of disk space decreased. With over 110,000 tracks in my library, rescanning to FLAC and repurchasing the tracks I purchased online over the last 10 years would be prohibitive.
If I was advising someone who was just beginning to create a digital library, I would advise them to start with a lossless format like FLAC or WAV. You can always convert the lossless file to MP3 if you desire, but you can't restore an MP3 to lossless. Disk space is too reasonable not to go that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I am in the smae boat youa re in. Was just thinking of adding all new music as FLAC. As a mobile, just didn't know if that made sense or not.

It still might make sense to buy new tracks in FLAC format, then convert a copy to MP3 when adding them to your MP3 library. Then you could start a FLAC library too. Not sure if mixing formats is a good idea. I think Traktor could handle files of varying formats, but I might not play my files with the same application all the time.

Nothing wrong with having the best possible original signal to work with. The downside is many apps don't support it, so as Bob mentioned, you may have to create a secondary version in mp3 .. no different than some who rip to wav files.

The reality is no one will hear any difference when played on PA gear (assuming a decent mp3 to compare). Possibly on a tweaked home hifi setup you might, but that's still a "might".

Nothing wrong with having the best possible original signal to work with.

Ah yes, but there in lies the problem. Any digitized file is only as good as its analog source. How were these flac files sourced? For all we know, they could be from Primecut's existing mp3 files. At best, they're being ripped from their own CD library.

Flac is indeed a superior format and was mostly used by audiophiles that cared about the difference. Now, it's just another buzz format to sell.
If you have an existing digital library that's been in use for some time and people aren't complaining, it's fine. You're always going to come across a
shabbily mastered track. Just replace them as you find them.

Ah yes, but there in lies the problem. Any digitized file is only as good as its analog source. How were these flac files sourced? For all we know, they could be from Primecut's existing mp3 files. At best, they're being ripped from their own CD library...
Another good point.[emoji4] You guys are very astute today![emoji4]

Ah yes, but there in lies the problem. Any digitized file is only as good as its analog source. How were these flac files sourced? For all we know, they could be from Primecut's existing mp3 files. At best, they're being ripped from their own CD library.

Flac is indeed a superior format and was mostly used by audiophiles that cared about the difference. Now, it's just another buzz format to sell.
If you have an existing digital library that's been in use for some time and people aren't complaining, it's fine. You're always going to come across a
shabbily mastered track. Just replace them as you find them.
I'll give Primecuts the benefit of the doubt, since they're a very good organization, but you are correct .. garbage in, garbage out. I will assume they are getting higher quality files to begin with (either wav or maybe flac directly) or are ripping from a CD to get the best resolution. If not, then it's moot .. the flac won't be worse than a mp3, but neither would it be better in that case.

Reactions: Hank Davidson
Not using FLAC, but if I could get a do-over, I probably would. Back when I started ripping my CD's, disk space was expensive and the largest available disks were about 320GB. So I scanned to MP3's to keep from filling up all my disk space. Once I went the MP3 route, I just continued to add MP3's to my library, though I increased the bit rate on the newer ones as disk sizes increased and the cost of disk space decreased. With over 110,000 tracks in my library, rescanning to FLAC and repurchasing the tracks I purchased online over the last 10 years would be prohibitive.
If I was advising someone who was just beginning to create a digital library, I would advise them to start with a lossless format like FLAC or WAV. You can always convert the lossless file to MP3 if you desire, but you can't restore an MP3 to lossless. Disk space is too reasonable not to go that direction.

I was in the same boat but the biggest I could get locally when I started ripping in '99 was around 30 Gig and it was near $300 if I recall correctly. Most of my early rips are 128Mb anything after 2003 or so is 320.

Starting over I agree I would rip lossless but in reality it would likely be for my own satisfaction. To the average client I don't think it really makes a difference

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I tried switching to FLAC once, and gave up. When you're at home in your living room and can hear every nuance in the music, detail matters. When you're rocking a party with 200 people waving their hands in the air like they just don't care, well... they don't care and can't hear the difference. FLAC was also more difficult to work with when editing audio files and doing custom intros and mixes (at the time, my audio editing programs only supported MP3 and WAV).

I've stuck with 320kbps MP3s from PrimeCuts, which will likely continue to be as good as it gets for MP3 in my lifetime.

Yep i'll stay with the 320 MP3 as well

flac = 23meg

mp3 = 8meg

so what would you go with ?

I can't seem to determine from their site if there is an additional cost for the lossless format.
If it's free or minimally extra and your software supports that format then go for it.
Flac is my personal preference but not worth paying very much more for.

Flac will outshine mp3 with many tracks that were originally recorded in analog.
With anything recorded digitally, the quality difference is negligible, if at all.

I can't seem to determine from their site if there is an additional cost for the lossless format.
If it's free or minimally extra and your software supports that format then go for it.
Flac is my personal preference but not worth paying very much more for.

Flac will outshine mp3 with many tracks that were originally recorded in analog.
With anything recorded digitally, the quality difference is negligible, if at all.

I don't pay any extra for the flac option. It's available in the download section. I don't use it though.

Don't see a compelling reason to have to download 28 gig a week, and have a full 1.5TB drive for each year.

Reactions: DjDennis
that's why I stick with 320kbps in a smaller file than a flac and being larger