Weddings Am I missing it...or are they?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
They did a lot of weddings together Scott. I'd guess the dance floor was doing fine with those songs. Those songs must still work since they're still on the DJ Intelligence 200 most requested wedding songs. And my story is from nearly 10 years ago.

I do my best to play songs with a great dance beat that people know. But there are some songs that show up on do not play lists most of the time which makes me avoid them altogether. I don't like obscure songs but some clients want obscure songs and have their reasons.

I do a lot of rural weddings out here in KS. Towns of 1, 2, 3 thousand people sometimes. Sometimes bigger. I base out of a town of around 2o,000. People here, often times, wedding receptions are the only times they go out to dance. So they want to have fun. They want to macarana or do the cha cha slide or the electric slide (although I don't see that working as often). There is one event I do every year, its a fundraiser for the hospital, where a group of medical professionals DONT want that, they want Pitbull, Drake, Jay-Z, Rihanna, top 40 or dance stuff. I know t hat going in and I plan accordingly. I did a wedding this past weekend where the bride was white, groom Latino. I asked how much English to Spanish music she wanted and she told me (60/40) and what kind of Spanish music they wanted.

They still danced to the YMCA and the Cupid Shuffle and the Grease Megamix. A good time was had by all.

As I tell brides a lot of the times, there are no more hard rules when it comes to weddings or receptions. The same applies here, what works at one wedding may not work at another.

People used to dance the Lindy or the Frug, ballroom dancing and square dancing still works in certain places with certain crowds. So yeah, some stuff gets old and stale.

But some becomes 'classic' - for whatever reason - it's fun, everyone knows the dances, it's a communal thing.

I think the macarena is old..but I get requests for it. I think the chicken dance is about as cheesy as it can get, but many a bride have told me "it's not a wedding without the chicken dance".

Cupid Shuffle/cha cha slide will fill teh floor -be that age 8 or 80, school dance, birtday party, wedding - they and say, My Girl are the only thing that I've found to be 100% reliable.

Close behind are Thriller, YMCA, Chicken Dance.

I live in an area populated by a lot of people of German ancestry. I get a lot of requests for The Chicken Dance and also the Flying Dutchman (and just polkas in general) due to the heritage.

Roll out the barrel ...

The flying Dutchman - never heard of that one, and I have Dutch ancestors. Just goes to show, some dance floor fillers are regional and/or ethnic.

The flying Dutchman - never heard of that one, and I have Dutch ancestors. Just goes to show, some dance floor fillers are regional and/or ethnic.

I am originally from a town 100 miles away from where I'm at now, and I had never heard of it LOL basically everyone pairs up in threes and they hop skip skip during the slow part, it then shifts to a fast part where they "do see do" then back to the hop skip hop in a circle.

this is short and a bit crazy, but was shot in one of my most frequent venues:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs7Jexk-noQ

My alma mater actually plays The Beer Barrel Polka as a "fight song" at games. It's crazy.

Yup. Back in the day, at Penn State, we used to change the words --- "What's a Buckeye? It's a f*cking nut! Who's Jim Tressel? I heard his wife's a slut! Rollll out the barrel...."

Of course Ohio State might not be the only school that plays that song...

Speaking of the Macarena, here's a Philly area DJ company who has a clear position on the song:

No Macarena - Home

Yup. Back in the day, at Penn State, we used to change the words --- "What's a Buckeye? It's a f*cking nut! Who's Jim Tressel? I heard his wife's a slut! Rollll out the barrel...."

Of course Ohio State might not be the only school that plays that song...

In Ohio, we don't even bother with Penn, we focus our our energy on the last game of the regular season against Michigan.

No one in Ohio even knows who the coach is at Penn state, so I doubt they know how easy his wife is. :)