Alto TS215S subwoofer comment

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
As many of you may remember, I sold off my Yorkville LS801ps and "downgraded" to Alto TS215s powered subs, several months ago. I really shouldn't say downgrade. For my purposes, these are an improvement. Instead of 150lbs, each cabinet is 60lbs. Magnitudes easier to move and load. These subs are a single 15", rated at 1250watts. Now do they hit as low as a good 18"? No, but they do hit plenty hard for any wedding that I've done (300 guess is my biggest so far). This past weekend, I used them in a smaller room, maybe 120 guests.

42919032_10155567107627307_4162889123138371584_n.jpg

I'm mounting QSC K10s over the top of each, and I had the entire rig running thru my TripLite 2400 power regulator. I ran the subs about 50% with extended LF switch engaged. I'm feeding a full-range signal from the board to the tops, then down to the subs. These subs match up perfectly with the K10s, and I'm never having to really push them. In fact, the wife told me I was playing a bit loud this weekend. Maybe so. Either way, these little dudes are performing better than I expected. I'm not missing the yorkies at all.

FYI.

Reactions: dunlopj
As many of you may remember, I sold off my Yorkville LS801ps and "downgraded" to Alto TS215s powered subs, several months ago. I really shouldn't say downgrade. For my purposes, these are an improvement. Instead of 150lbs, each cabinet is 60lbs. Magnitudes easier to move and load. These subs are a single 15", rated at 1250watts. Now do they hit as low as a good 18"? No, but they do hit plenty hard for any wedding that I've done (300 guess is my biggest so far). This past weekend, I used them in a smaller room, maybe 120 guests.

View attachment 35202

I'm mounting QSC K10s over the top of each, and I had the entire rig running thru my TripLite 2400 power regulator. I ran the subs about 50% with extended LF switch engaged. I'm feeding a full-range signal from the board to the tops, then down to the subs. These subs match up perfectly with the K10s, and I'm never having to really push them. In fact, the wife told me I was playing a bit loud this weekend. Maybe so. Either way, these little dudes are performing better than I expected. I'm not missing the yorkies at all.

FYI.

If they don't do what the others did, then it quite possibly could be a downgrade. Based on your description, I would use the words more convenient. They're lighter, easier to move, etc.

Reactions: sonic-vision
If they don't do what the others did, then it quite possibly could be a downgrade. Based on your description, I would use the words more convenient. They're lighter, easier to move, etc.

There's no doubt that the yorkies went lower and could fill a huge room (5k sq ft or larger) a lot better than these 15s. The fact of the matter is though, these Altos fit 95% of my gigs better than the yorkies. The fact that they're lighter and easier to move is a bonus but functionally, these are a better choice for me.

Reactions: ittigger
It's fun to crap on Alto, mainly just to poke at @DJ Ricky B - but a dual 15" set up makes sense for most weddings if that's the bulk of your work. I feel like 18s are a requirement for youth events where you're playing a lot of house, hip hop, and top 40. But for the average wedding crowd, you just don't need to thump them THAT hard.

The Evox-12s I'm using have 2 15s as the subs, and I get asked to turn bass down more often than I like. These stupid historical houses don't seem to like when I rattle their windows...

Honestly, I think you would be fine with a single Alto TS215S Sub and those 2 K10s for weddings up to 250 guests.

For a while a few years ago I was using a single Alto TSUB12, and 2 Alto TS112, and the sound quality was near perfect for me. Even with that set up I was asked to turn the bass down on a couple of occasions. Also used it in conjunction with the Alto TS110A speakers, and almost the same sound, just not quite as loud since the 12 inch speakers got a bit louder

Honestly, I think you would be fine with a single Alto TS215S Sub and those 2 K10s for weddings up to 250 guests.

For a while a few years ago I was using a single Alto TSUB12, and 2 Alto TS112, and the sound quality was near perfect for me. Even with that set up I was asked to turn the bass down on a couple of occasions. Also used it in conjunction with the Alto TS110A speakers, and almost the same sound, just not quite as loud since the 12 inch speakers got a bit louder

At times (usually when power is questionable) I only plug in one of the subs but I still use them both to pole mount the tops. Yes, you can get by on most weddings with 1 but 2 is just soo much more fun. Those little dudes really do pack a lot of punch and I love the tone. It's much more balanced than 18s.

I have tried altos twice I had a pair of ts212s fourth gig one shut off in the middle of a gig never to function again, and it costs as much to ship them back for warranty repair than it does to buy another speaker, similar results with a pair of 15 in subs

I have tried altos twice I had a pair of ts212s fourth gig one shut off in the middle of a gig never to function again, and it costs as much to ship them back for warranty repair than it does to buy another speaker, similar results with a pair of 15 in subs

I’ve read stories like yours, so I know what you’re saying happens, but my experience with my TS112W’s, TS110A’s, and TSSUB15’s was quite the opposite. They sounded GREAT, and never failed... not even once in over three years. I paid for extended warranties at GC when I bought them, but never needed the extra insurance.

I recently looked at online reviews, and they still get 4-5 stars in about 80% of them. If you read the other 3 star or less reviews, some are due to shipping issues; some were likely due to electrical power issues, some are clearly people who have no business touching Audio Gear, and a very small percentage could be from defects.

Now I never tried to use two TS110A’s over TSSUB15’s in a gymnasium full of kids, ‘cause they would have been woefully inadequate. But that’s what some people do, then complain when they don’t like the results.

The only Alto’s I still own are the TX-8’s I use as monitors. Been using them for 3+ years and they still work great. So, though I don’t have a horse in the race anymore, I’ll keep telling people that Alto’s are great sounding speakers if used appropriately in my experience.[emoji4]