Alto Speakers Behringer or TurboSound

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

dj2big

Active DJ
Nov 15, 2015
How reliable are Alto speakers?
Anyone use them on a week in week out basis TS or Black Series?

Behringer

TurboSound

Looking for a small rig under $1800
That can take a beating every week pushed to the limit 250-350 guest Banquets

Subs and Tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good ..cheap..small system for large crowd..we all want that! LOL

Used..old...will be cheaper. can get a better brand so quality shoudl be good. Prolly won't be light.

250-350 guests is a fairly big group...weddings or school dances? How much sub you need?

I've heard behry's eurolive 18" sub- impressive but huge. no idea on longevity of if you push it hard.

What i'd suggest (new) would be twice your budget...ekx or dxr.

Reactions: Albatross
I've used Altos almost exclusively since starting my DJ business two years ago. I use TS110's over TSSUB15's, but I also have a pair of TS112W's, which I've used for smaller events without subs. I do less than one event per month, but have had absolutely NO problems with my speakers. My opinion, 250 people would be the most I could accommodate with my TS110's and 15" subs. 350 would be a stretch IMHO.

Depending on how the audience is set up, 350 is a stretch .. period. You don't really want to increase the amount of sound at the front to be able to reach the back .. that just makes it intolerable for the folks near the floor. 350 is a point where you want a strategy .. normally a second set of speakers .. either out wide in a wide room .. halfway down the sides or even near the rear if it's a long room. None of the options mentioned would be good for 350 IMO, since that's a level not fitting a "small" system.

I just did a Marine Ball 900+ in attendance my QSC KW181 and KW152 worked perfect I just want something smaller for my small gigs I'm about to sell all 4 of my RCF EVOX5

Last edited:
Depending on how the audience is set up, 350 is a stretch .. period. You don't really want to increase the amount of sound at the front to be able to reach the back .. that just makes it intolerable for the folks near the floor. 350 is a point where you want a strategy .. normally a second set of speakers .. either out wide in a wide room .. halfway down the sides or even near the rear if it's a long room. None of the options mentioned would be good for 350 IMO, since that's a level not fitting a "small" system.

You are right for banquet setting 350 I like the sound focused on the dance floor banquet rooms are mostly for social events like weddings sweet 16 etc not concerts so sound systems imho should be loud on the dance floor but around tables and bar should be very conservative I always try to set up my sound this way regardless of the amount of guest that's why I know smaller system should be able to handle 350 in a banquet setting for any speeches sound travels anyway music on the other hand should remain focused on the dance floor

Altos. Buy Them.

Alto TS212s or 215s alone can handle the majority of the weddings that I do. Nice, Clear sound. Weight is only 28.6 lbs on the 12s, and 33.6 lbs on the 15s. The new Alto Subs have a very nice look to them. Although they are a bit heavier than Alto's previous TS line of Subs.

I will say that the Signal limiter is set a bit low on the 15s. You can push them a bit further than when that light start's to pulse and be fine.

I use my TS110s with TSSUB12 and that set up sounds great too. I bring the 15s out when I know I'm not using the Sub. Wedding I have tomorrow, I am bringing the 15s.

Altos. Buy Them.

Alto TS212s or 215s alone can handle the majority of the weddings that I do. Nice, Clear sound. Weight is only 28.6 lbs on the 12s, and 33.6 lbs on the 15s. The new Alto Subs have a very nice look to them. Although they are a bit heavier than Alto's previous TS line of Subs.

I will say that the Signal limiter is set a bit low on the 15s. You can push them a bit further than when that light start's to pulse and be fine.

I use my TS110s with TSSUB12 and that set up sounds great too. I bring the 15s out when I know I'm not using the Sub. Wedding I have tomorrow, I am bringing the 15s.

There's just a tiny bit of irony in saying that those speakers are adequate, but then stating that you are comfortable pushing them past the built in limiter.

Put a dbx 166xl between the mixer and speakers. You'll be amazed at how much more headroom you get (with no annoying limit lights).

Reactions: DJ Ricky B
There's just a tiny bit of irony in saying that those speakers are adequate, but then stating that you are comfortable pushing them past the built in limiter.

Many other people have noticed this as well. The 1 series were not set that low. I think the factory set it lower on the 15s to be safe. My 12s seem to get louder than the 15s before the limit light starts to pulse. They both are rated the same, so that doesn't make much sense to me.

When I bought my 1 series speakers, the reviews were about 90% positive. There were a few where the reviewer talked about blown speakers, but we all know DJ's who don't know how to properly operate their gear, and drive it beyond its limits. I don't do outdoor events, so overheating has not been an issue. I think DJ's need to have a realistic idea of how large of a venue and audience their PA system can handle. Instead of cranking it up... add speakers. For larger venues, I can add my 12's. I take them with me as backups to every event anyway, and taking them inside is no big deal. I've seen the reviews of the 2 series speakers, and they are pretty similar to the reviews of the 1 series. I like the look and power of the 2's, but I like the fans in my 1's.

I also read reviews saying the cabinets are too easily marred. I have not had that issue either. I do keep my speakers in good quality speaker bags, and I handle them with care. They still look brand new after 20 events. My sub boxes are not the same plastic as the tops, and they can be chipped up pretty easily if not cared for. I had custom made Tuki covers made for my subs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwinSpinDJ
In my opinion, the KSub is not a sub, but an extended bass speaker. It fills out the sound, but really doesn't hit hard (the KW181 certainly does). There are better choices. Never heard the Alto so can't comment.

In my opinion, the KSub is not a sub, but an extended bass speaker. It fills out the sound, but really doesn't hit hard (the KW181 certainly does). There are better choices. Never heard the Alto so can't comment.

I have the older TSSUB15, but it has significantly less power at only 1200 watts. It needed more. Works OK for my purposes and the types of events I do. I sometimes wish there was a little more volume. Maybe they addressed that with the newer model.

I have the older TSSUB15, but it has significantly less power at only 1200 watts. It needed more. Works OK for my purposes and the types of events I do. I sometimes wish there was a little more volume. Maybe they addressed that with the newer model.

When I listened to all 3 of the original Alto TSSubs I thought the 15 was the weakest. I was impressed with the 12 because I felt it was keeping up with the 15, and weight was less. The 18 blew the other two away, but it is just too big for me. It was almost as if the 15 did not have the same amp as the 18.

I have not heard the Black Series subs, but I imagine they hit pretty darn hard with those upgraded amps in them. They would be overkill for the events I do.

Today's wedding I am not even bringing out a sub. The room I am in is like maybe 24 feet wide, and 45 to 50 feet or so long.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
K12 KSub

vs

Alto Black 12 and Alto Black 15Sub

971c0f6b4e6699459f9a6a6e4b290dbb.jpg

If you are close enough, I will be selling my pair of Yamaha DXS12 subs .. great shape .. $800 for the pair .. I need the space for their replacements.

Based on experience with the KSub, I agree.

I'm at a crossroads right now my QSC KW181 and KW152 it's way to much for 75% of the events I do and I want to get rid of my Evox5 all 4 of them