ADJA Summer Conference & Show!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Dr. Drax

New DJ
Oct 23, 2006
The ADJA will hold its first ever education conference & show July 12-14th 2009 in Chicago, IL .The intent is to give DJs at all levels the opportunity to hear from the best & the brightest, and bring our industry closer together under the ADJA.

The theme for this year is "Empowering Your Dreams". We would hope every attendee will leave feeling rejuvenated, empowered & feeling infused with more knowledge & opportunity than they could have ever imagined.

We will change the landscape for education with two tracks running simultaneously, one focused upon performance, the other dedicated to business. Presenters will include topics on school events, beatmixing, music selection, marketing, sales, games, Quickbooks, growing your business, Mitzvahs, microphone skills, MC skills, weddings & much, much more. There will be over 20 seminars to choose from presented by recognized experts in & out of our industry as well as introducing 7 brand new presenters. Coupled with an awesome Exhibit hall with over 30 companies showing off their latest & greatest gear, this promises to be the don't miss event of 2009. This conference will have something for everyone!

The Summer Show & Conference is open to everyone. Advanced Registration for ADJA members is just $49 while non ADJA members can attend for the discounted rate of $149. There will also be a conference special for non members for $249 which will come with a year's free membership in ADJA. That gives you the chance to step up to the ADJA for only $100! This is an awesome opportunity. Once again the ADJA leads the way in delivering the Summer Conference that everyone has been wanting for years.

For more information see the ADJA website for details.

and let sponsors foot the bill???
With a couple dozen major national shows out there already, and twice the number of regional events, plus the economy as it is right, those funds are being carefully fine tuned as the money tree has died.

There's Travel & Living expenses for the vendors, there's labor/union charges to get stuff into the hall, there's fees for electricity/tables/toilet paper, equipment transportation expenses, etc.

The two or three times I did DJ convention/shows for the L1s, it cost about $5k-$8k per show. Gotta sell a lot of product to recoup that money. DJs don't traditionally spend a lot of money as completely proven by the "free for members" statement.

The major manufactures can afford it. This would be the greatest marketing tool but no one ever seems to be on the same page.

I was so disappointed in my convention trip that so many of the top manufactures just not pay to have their products put to the test by us the consumer.

As I posted it on Prodj, does the ADJA summer show & the Disc Jockey News show (which is now in June) mean the end of the Mobile Beat Summer show?

Too bad I won't be at either of these - as we'll be coming back from a wedding that'll be one for the records in MA! :sqwink:

Cheers,

Joe

Cam,

Respectfully $49 IS FREE. That is an incredible bargain. NO OTHER GROUP or show has offered that pass price for the level of show this will be ever. No organization makes the conferences free. Not NACE, ISES, WEVA or anyone.

Our show rate is lower than them all & we are giving a HUGE amount of content. We will be delivering more bang for the buck than any other show ever produced.

No, the major mfg can't afford to just bankroll it. Their margins are already razor thin, I know, I was one for a while. They are not there to be a wallet. They are ONLY at shows to sell product. They have supported us because we are giving them VALUE for their investment.

Our booth prices are very affordable for exhibitors because we wanted great support. We wanted to show them the benefits of working with us. The costs for anyone to exhibit can be staggering. We have positioned exhibitor packs to make sense for them to attend. That is why there will be good support by them.

It sounds like a good idea but after looking at the lineup it doesn't seem to appealing. At least not worth spending that kind of money to get there. I'm surprised they don't have Merry and Ferrell thrown in there somewhere. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make the lineup at the last minute. Most of their DJA homies are on the list anyway. Except for the great educational benefit Ben will bring to the show it appears to be the same old same old.

In this economy I'll take the advise that was given to me at a conference about recession proofing your business. I won't cut my price but I will cut out unnecessary expenses.

Not to fuel the debate but $49 is as close to free for a professional and educational experience as I recall ever seeing, in any profession, at least in the two I muck around in.

Hell, Scott Faver, alone, is worth the price of admission.

When you add Cerone, Walter, Bartlett, $49 is curiously low. Although I have no personal knowledge,I can't imagine the other presenters have anything less than real valuable advice. That line up seems worthy of serious attention.

I plan to make every effort to attend.

Good Luck Drax!

I try to stay out of this political muck fest, as best I can, but for some reason, I just cant :sqlaugh:

As a manu, I stay away from the shows, because as Cap mentioned -- no great payoff for me (in fact, I would have to eat the costs).

But, the information delivered, remains important in my eyes.

The world is changing, and we need new talent every year, and new ideas every year.

SOS ain't working for me.

Give me new stuff, new ideas, new people. Get rid of the infomercials.

Drax, you know as well as I, that the big 3 automakers are gonna die, because they still use the same old sh_t methodology.

Take this opp to bring in some fresh new faces, new ideas, and we can do wonders :)

Stating a personal opinion.

Who Doug?

Work with us here :)

I'm editing this (nothing removed):

As an industry, we need to talk, and we need the input of all involved. We need honest input.

Ain't nobody gonna hang anybody on this board, for saying their piece, in a respectable way :)

Danno runs a fine board, unlike some others. He has my complete respect, and I back him 100%. :)

Hell, Scott Faver, alone, is worth the price of admission.
Good Luck Drax!

Just my personal opinion here, Scott Faver would have to pay me to show up to one of his talks and even then I wouldn't come. I had purchased one of his "gamemaster" dvds because I thought it could help me learn some new things. I ended up mailing it back because it was junk.
Like I said, just my personal opinion.

Ron, Rick & others.

No amway meeting. All of the seminar presenters are not listed yet because we don't have their bio & headshot yet. There will be over 20 seminars. There will be 7 new presenters that have not spoken at a national event. We will add them to the site just as soon as they get their materials to us.

We are NOT giving the SOS. Even the presenters that one might have seen prior are debuting completely new materials at this show. We are doing something that has NEVER been done before. We are running two different track simultaniously, a performance track, a Business track. There will be intermediate & advanced level presentations.

While not perfect on release. We have listed more of what we are doing than any other shows have ever done 6 months out. Atleast give us a break. We are doing something very different from the ground up.

If Peter or Mark are there so what? There is plenty to chose from, you don't have to attend theirs or anyone else's seminars.

Rick as a Manu we are doing things VERY different than other shows. Call me to find out.
Still might not be your cup of tea, but we have a VERY different plan. We have been exhibitors. We are planning this from every angle we can to make it as good for exhibitors as we are for attendees.

Folks, take from this what you will. As Ron pointed out, I am one of the presenters (and thank you Ron for the compliments). As a father of 3, I prefer not to spend any more time away from my family than is necessary. I carefully choose what engagements I participate in and who I associate myself with. When Drax asked me to participate in this I did not hesitate to say yes. Why? Because I have known and worked with Drax for several years. Our relationship is professional, but there are some things you just can't fake. When you're exhausted after a tradeshow or a red-eye flight (or both) it's hard to put on an act, and I'll tell you that Drax and I have had many conversations where both of us were simply too tired to try to impress the other. He is committed to the success of this industry, and he passionately puts his heart and soul into it. His passion may rub some the wrong way at times, but that often happens when one is so passionate about something. I don't agree with everything he says, and I doubt that he agrees with everything I say. Nonetheless, I support what Drax is trying to do for the industry, and I don't believe he should be lumped with all the other aforementioned names. This is not a statement for or against them, just a statement of fact that Drax is his own man.

As for keeping it fresh... I'm so ADHD my seminars are never the same. LOL.

Ben

I might add something with no benefit to me or showing any side of the coin. I am amazed at how people can assume something before it has taken place. This is the first put on by the ADJA so there really isnt a fair way to compare until you put up your 40 some dollars and experience then make the good bad or the ugly revues. Just because you may have disliked a Mobile Beat or DJ Times or any other DJ Convention it cant compare to the last one. Especially a first run for Drax and the ADJA. If one doesnt attend they are not worthy of comment regarding the good the bad and the ugly. If you dont intend to go please put your ROX down and allow those attempting to invite others their say.

Glad to hear you address that Drax -- I mean that :)

I talk to many customers every day, and they are tired of the SOS. They want new ideas, new ways to move forward.

You hold the head position, and that means you have a lot on your shoulders. I don't envy that part, it's a tough road.

But, I have looked in yer eyes (don't take that as a condescending thought)

I think, if you can get the lobbyists outta yer way, you can do many things for our industry, and much more quickly than you think.

People want a spokesman with integrity, class, and values. You have those properties -- I've seen them. Now's the time to use them :)

Rick,

I don't see lobbyists, loyalists or enemies. Only people with different opinions & ideals.
There isn't a ton of people willing let alone qualified to speak in our industry. Many will talk a good game but when i ask for a topical outline, needs & expectations. I get HUH? I thought I could just show up & talk.

We are working hard to give some new people a shot. They were all willing to be interviewed & present to me what they felt that they would present. I asked specific questions of each.

I am not walking away from my Support of many of my colleagues. Randy, Mike, Jim & Scott all have valuable information to share. Might they have a product to sell? maybe, but everyone of them has openly shared plenty at their seminars for FREE.

Not every presenter will appeal to everyone. No harm there. That is why there is 2 tracks + the exhibit hall. We are working hard to do something different. Giving more content than any other show, for a fraction of what others charge for less. We have worked hard to make an exhibitor friendly location. We have set in place sound policies for the exhibit hall. There will be no constant deafening drone of BASS to the exclusion of every other exhibitor getting their fair value as well.

We are trying to address the issues.