Ad strategy

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Wanted to give an update. It's been 5 weeks since I posted this thread and here's what actions I've taken.

First, I ditched WW. I got several fake leads, right before renewal. I've also gotten 2-3 this past week. I'm done with WW (at least for now). Next, I've ramped up my FB ads. Instead of running a single ad for more money, I'm running 8-10 different ads. I'll choose some kind of dreamy or emotional shot, write my best attempt at female-friendly copy (emotion), then add in a line about our "free uplighting or free photobooth with a bundle package".

I started running these, a couple of weeks before Christmas. Yes, that's normally a dead time but I had 2 leads on Christmas eve and they haven't let up since then. It could be a fluke but I can't say I've seen this kind of lead volume on any other year in the past. I booked 3 last week and have 2 more meetings scheduled for this week. We currently have 13 on the books for 2019, 75% of them photo+DJ bundles (our most profitable). The ads I'm running currently are on 2 week cycles, usually $20-$30 per ad on budget. I'm thinking the key is the emotion and changing them out often. My guess is that the goal is to put multiple pitches in front of the same bride-to-be. With a tempting "free" offer, it's irresistable.

Wanted to give an update. It's been 5 weeks since I posted this thread and here's what actions I've taken.

First, I ditched WW. I got several fake leads, right before renewal. I've also gotten 2-3 this past week. I'm done with WW (at least for now). Next, I've ramped up my FB ads. Instead of running a single ad for more money, I'm running 8-10 different ads. I'll choose some kind of dreamy or emotional shot, write my best attempt at female-friendly copy (emotion), then add in a line about our "free uplighting or free photobooth with a bundle package".

I started running these, a couple of weeks before Christmas. Yes, that's normally a dead time but I had 2 leads on Christmas eve and they haven't let up since then. It could be a fluke but I can't say I've seen this kind of lead volume on any other year in the past. I booked 3 last week and have 2 more meetings scheduled for this week. We currently have 13 on the books for 2019, 75% of them photo+DJ bundles (our most profitable). The ads I'm running currently are on 2 week cycles, usually $20-$30 per ad on budget. I'm thinking the key is the emotion and changing them out often. My guess is that the goal is to put multiple pitches in front of the same bride-to-be. With a tempting "free" offer, it's irresistable.
Are you asking where the leads are being referred from when they fill out the contact form, to know if it is FB that is actually causing them to reach out? I don't require it to be filled, but I have it in there to gauge what they've seen or experienced with me prior to contacting me. FYI, don't forget instagram... it is currently the biggest form of social media for the millennial aged crowd, and although you can argue more of them are technically subscribed to Facebook... more time is being spent on instagram.

Reactions: ittigger
Are you asking where the leads are being referred from when they fill out the contact form, to know if it is FB that is actually causing them to reach out? I don't require it to be filled, but I have it in there to gauge what they've seen or experienced with me prior to contacting me. FYI, don't forget instagram... it is currently the biggest form of social media for the millennial aged crowd, and although you can argue more of them are technically subscribed to Facebook... more time is being spent on instagram.

I admit, I haven't been asking. Will be changing that this week. However, it's pretty easy to see that social media is where the leads are coming from. My site analytics point towards a big jump in referrals coming from FB. I don't see any from Instagram in the past 30 days (even though I have all FB ads cross-posting to Instagram.

1547481859816.png

By the way... this is definitely the time of year for bookings now that the holidays are done. 12 contracts out in the last 40 days, with 2 more booking any day I believe. I also have 4 other events that have inquired, but haven't heard back from in the last week... so we'll see with those. Currently we're at 60 events booked for 2019 (one just cancelled on me right after signing the contract after Christmas, deciding to go with a band cuz her parents are paying and they prefer that), and 5 (soon to be 6) for 2020.

I admit, I haven't been asking. Will be changing that this week. However, it's pretty easy to see that social media is where the leads are coming from. My site analytics point towards a big jump in referrals coming from FB. I don't see any from Instagram in the past 30 days (even though I have all FB ads cross-posting to Instagram.

View attachment 35988
It seems a decent amount are google searches too though, which could be more qualified. Start asking, it really gives you good insight as to what's working and whats not (for all you know they could be saying they saw you at a wedding over the summer).

It seems a decent amount are google searches too though, which could be more qualified. Start asking, it really gives you good insight as to what's working and whats not (for all you know they could be saying they saw you at a wedding over the summer).

You're correct, a substantial portion are coming from google but in the past google has accounted for roughly twice what social media has. However, during the last period social media has passed google searches (85 google vs 105 social media). That's a substantial change from my long term patterns. When I was running fewer FB ads (longer runs/bigger budget) it didn't generate that much traffic. Now that I'm running 8-10 consecutive ads the numbers have flipped towards FB. It could be just an anomaly but time will prove or disprove the theory. For now, I'm just relieved that I have something that seems to be working, and at the most opportune time.

Just curious if you guys frequent the Wedding Resale and planning groups on facebook? i have some photographer friends who were constantly referring my company to potential brides who asked if anyone knew good dj's ...booked a couple nice events from it...so i decided to join myself... now i get constant alerts anytime anyone asks that question ... i created a full color digital price package packet that i can drop to them immediately...

... i joined one for my state and for another adjoining state... bout an hour drive...theres atleast one post a day about dj's...

cc

Just curious if you guys frequent the Wedding Resale and planning groups on facebook? i have some photographer friends who were constantly referring my company to potential brides who asked if anyone knew good dj's ...booked a couple nice events from it...so i decided to join myself... now i get constant alerts anytime anyone asks that question ... i created a full color digital price package packet that i can drop to them immediately...

... i joined one for my state and for another adjoining state... bout an hour drive...theres atleast one post a day about dj's...

cc
When you're hunting for clients, any source of inquiries is a good source. Once you start gaining clients and want to fine tune it... you start tweaking things. Personally, I am at the point that with 8k+ followers on my personal fb, business fb, and instagram, I have built my own network of qualified clients and ambassadors in a sense. I directly speak to them, not to the random people online who are bombarded by the same ads from different dj's due to keywords. It's why I always reiterate with other dj's to build followers to your pages.

Reactions: djcrazychris

cc

Our says no ads from us scummy vendors..............

No advertising for catering, photography, DJ, bands, florist, or wedding planners. No cabin ads, no posting the same ad daily!

There's also only 327 members. I started my own marketplace group, but it also isn't that big yet.

Yeah....i dont blast it with ads... but about once a day a bride says "any recommendations for a dj in the area? and it comes up in my notifications... normally my photography friends will recommend me....but if i see it first i just shoot them a private message with my info

its not my main source of leads....just a little side thing that has worked

cc

Reactions: rickryan.com
I'm just starting out and getting a website up with Wix.com (I like their setup, pretty nice). I know they have some tools like Google Analytics but my biggest hurdle right now seems to just be getting the word out and trying to drive folks to the site and to a FB page...just to get some sort of interest. Of course, in just starting out, I don't have tons of pics and video to showcase just yet either and of course you need money to make money. Clearly there is a multi-pronged approach advertising often but with smaller ads but are there suggestions for where to start. I can't even comprehend getting the numbers of gigs you guys are getting (kudos!). I know it takes time but it's hard to know where to even begin with a plan. If this is covered in another thread, just let me know and I'll do some reading there first.

I'm just starting out and getting a website up with Wix.com (I like their setup, pretty nice). I know they have some tools like Google Analytics but my biggest hurdle right now seems to just be getting the word out and trying to drive folks to the site and to a FB page...just to get some sort of interest. Of course, in just starting out, I don't have tons of pics and video to showcase just yet either and of course you need money to make money. Clearly there is a multi-pronged approach advertising often but with smaller ads but are there suggestions for where to start. I can't even comprehend getting the numbers of gigs you guys are getting (kudos!). I know it takes time but it's hard to know where to even begin with a plan. If this is covered in another thread, just let me know and I'll do some reading there first.
The beginning is about getting your name out to as many people as fast as possible. So that means you want to take gigs... reach out to schools, reach out to venues to be referred for say smaller gigs looking for budget dj's. Put your name out on fb ads, contact friends and family to do smaller events, etc. You're just looking for money to build your portfolio, experience, and to reinvest in equipment to get to the proper level to take on bigger events such as weddings... as that is the ultimate goal. Never take anything that you aren't prepared for, either equipment wise or experience. Every event you do should be documented to slowly build your portfolio. Once you feel you have the experience and that you have the set up and equipment necessary, that is when you can take on the events that you can charge the most at. When you get to that level, then at first it's about proper advertising at bridal shows, facebook and instagram ads. The ultimate goal though is to take those early events in your career, wow the guests, get word of mouth referrals, and then work your way up in skill and price.

I started in 2004 at 17 doing mostly grad parties, small bday parties for friends, and local community events for $150-$250. People continued to hire me for cheap events... maybe about 8-10 the first few years. Soon I got a gig for a teen dance which started leading to $450 sweet 16's... by that point I was starting to really impress with my skill but my set up was subpar. Invested a bit into my set up, started moving up to $500 and $600 sweet 16's... about 20 events a year at that point in 2008. 2009 is when I really picked things up... worked with another company as well. Got a new stream of teen gigs which led to more demand and started getting me closer to 40 gigs a year and just shy of that $1000 mark. In 2010 did a major revamp in equipment and crossed the $1000 mark. 2012 was another major equipment revamp and when I decided to go full time (I was avg $1400 or 1500 a gig give or take and at 55 gigs). From there the process to transitioning to primarily weddings began, as did my price increases. Over the years I then increased the options offered (tv's, photo booths, lighting galore, etc). In 2017 I went full time on my own and crossed the $2000 starting point mark, and hit 70 events for the first time.

The funny thing in all that is that I never advertised in any sort of paid form. I tried a couple of fb ads here and there... never totaling more than $200 combined. My main source of marketing was by impressing guests at events, and building a social network profile. However, it also took me nearly a decade to get to a level that was able to provide a full time income. If I invested more into lead generation early on, it would've definitely sped that process up a bit.

i would recommend getting the word out to everyone you know in your personal life... and though im sure some here will disagree with me... do your first few parties for close friends on the cheap....simply to get some photos and some experience in a real world setting... if none of your personal aquaintances want to hire you... then throw a small party of your own... get some photos... and hand out your info/business cards...

cc

My first ever gig was a family wedding when i was 18... it had about 200 people there and i got about 10 gigs from non family (strangers to me) My set up was a home stereo and 2 1991 karaoke machines for pa... horrible horrible set up... but somehow i entertained that crowd ... back then it was an oddity for someone to have hundreds and hundreds of records and cd's ... it was a super power...much different than today... back then for a person to do their own wedding music was a huge undertaking...so finding a guy with a lot of music was a godsend...i was just that guy for my first year or so... then i began to progressively get more and more equipment... its definitely a process that takes time... even if you are rich and have all the equipment immediately... you need time to learn to entertain...to read a room... etc...

cc

Reactions: steve149
Yeah....i dont blast it with ads... but about once a day a bride says "any recommendations for a dj in the area? and it comes up in my notifications... normally my photography friends will recommend me....but if i see it first i just shoot them a private message with my info

its not my main source of leads....just a little side thing that has worked

cc

Thanks. I'll try scanning the local group and try the PM method you mentioned.

For freebie ads, Craigslist can turn up leads, especially at a newbie price point. Not sure what market you're in, but I'd say in most areas, offering to do a wedding for $400-$500 will get a lot of girls to give you a chance, even without the credentials you get from experience (pics, reviews, etc.). The biggest thing is, spend time on this forum and ask all kinds of questions. Learn how to develop a timeline and practice making announcements until you can "own it" (do it with confidence). Make sure you under-promise and over-deliver on your first gigs. As you start picking up more, plan on raising your prices $50-$100 each year until you're on par with the rest of your market.

The beginning is about getting your name out to as many people as fast as possible. So that means you want to take gigs... reach out to schools, reach out to venues to be referred for say smaller gigs looking for budget dj's. Put your name out on fb ads, contact friends and family to do smaller events, etc. You're just looking for money to build your portfolio, experience, and to reinvest in equipment to get to the proper level to take on bigger events such as weddings... as that is the ultimate goal. Never take anything that you aren't prepared for, either equipment wise or experience. Every event you do should be documented to slowly build your portfolio. Once you feel you have the experience and that you have the set up and equipment necessary, that is when you can take on the events that you can charge the most at. When you get to that level, then at first it's about proper advertising at bridal shows, facebook and instagram ads. The ultimate goal though is to take those early events in your career, wow the guests, get word of mouth referrals, and then work your way up in skill and price.

I started in 2004 at 17 doing mostly grad parties, small bday parties for friends, and local community events for $150-$250. People continued to hire me for cheap events... maybe about 8-10 the first few years. Soon I got a gig for a teen dance which started leading to $450 sweet 16's... by that point I was starting to really impress with my skill but my set up was subpar. Invested a bit into my set up, started moving up to $500 and $600 sweet 16's... about 20 events a year at that point in 2008. 2009 is when I really picked things up... worked with another company as well. Got a new stream of teen gigs which led to more demand and started getting me closer to 40 gigs a year and just shy of that $1000 mark. In 2010 did a major revamp in equipment and crossed the $1000 mark. 2012 was another major equipment revamp and when I decided to go full time (I was avg $1400 or 1500 a gig give or take and at 55 gigs). From there the process to transitioning to primarily weddings began, as did my price increases. Over the years I then increased the options offered (tv's, photo booths, lighting galore, etc). In 2017 I went full time on my own and crossed the $2000 starting point mark, and hit 70 events for the first time.

The funny thing in all that is that I never advertised in any sort of paid form. I tried a couple of fb ads here and there... never totaling more than $200 combined. My main source of marketing was by impressing guests at events, and building a social network profile. However, it also took me nearly a decade to get to a level that was able to provide a full time income. If I invested more into lead generation early on, it would've definitely sped that process up a bit.

Wow, thanks for really taking the time with all of that detail. That was super helpful!

My first ever gig was a family wedding when i was 18... it had about 200 people there and i got about 10 gigs from non family (strangers to me) My set up was a home stereo and 2 1991 karaoke machines for pa... horrible horrible set up... but somehow i entertained that crowd ... back then it was an oddity for someone to have hundreds and hundreds of records and cd's ... it was a super power...much different than today... back then for a person to do their own wedding music was a huge undertaking...so finding a guy with a lot of music was a godsend...i was just that guy for my first year or so... then i began to progressively get more and more equipment... its definitely a process that takes time... even if you are rich and have all the equipment immediately... you need time to learn to entertain...to read a room... etc...

cc

Haaa Thanks Chris! See? I guess there's hope for me if you were rockin' it with a home stereo and 2 1991 karaoke machines! Great advice!

Haaa Thanks Chris! See? I guess there's hope for me if you were rockin' it with a home stereo and 2 1991 karaoke machines! Great advice!

lol... i woulda killed for the controller options folks have these days.... its a great time to be a dj!!

cc

For freebie ads, Craigslist can turn up leads, especially at a newbie price point. Not sure what market you're in, but I'd say in most areas, offering to do a wedding for $400-$500 will get a lot of girls to give you a chance, even without the credentials you get from experience (pics, reviews, etc.). The biggest thing is, spend time on this forum and ask all kinds of questions. Learn how to develop a timeline and practice making announcements until you can "own it" (do it with confidence). Make sure you under-promise and over-deliver on your first gigs. As you start picking up more, plan on raising your prices $50-$100 each year until you're on par with the rest of your market.

Thanks Rick! I can see how just keeping things small (as in price etc) can help book more at first just to get experience. I had one wealthy neighbor of a friend get on the topic of DJing with me. He had talked to one guy for his daughter's upcoming wedding and the dj was charging $2000. He asked me what I cost and I said $400. He about filled his boxers at that point. He was instantly thinking he was getting ripped off with the $2000 bid. He asked what makes the difference? I told him I was just starting out. Experience...Equipment...Ability to do certain add-ons makes the difference. (I had said $400 because I just got done doing a car show for that). He seemed to understand but I went away feelin' like a $400 chump knowing he was completely willing to spend $2000+. But...Like Taso said. I know I wouldn't have been able to provided a $2000 experience and would have damaged my reputation in the long run.