About to pull my hair out!!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Over 30 years in business busier than I really want to be has been all referrals for at least the past 25 years, and surprisingly I rarely beat mix

I hear McDonalds is busier than ever too. Just b/c you get business doesn't mean you can't do better.

If one doesn't know better, than they only know what they know, until they see something different.

Taso and I perform to clients who appreciate a DJ that bring an exciting experience that is thrilling, entertaining, and engaging.

What bothers me the most is those who don't even mix are charging a lot for simply offering sound services-- b/c that is what it really is. I am not saying you are not worth the price you charge for sound services, but it gives me a really good idea of how I should raise my pricing since I am offering something more than you. If I do everything the same as you, but I MIX, I should not be in the same pricing tier.

Y'all are going to get replaced VERY SOON b/c with automated playlist and easily accessible gear, you are literally doing what anybody could do. Please tell me how what you is more valuable than renting speakers and setting up a cool playlist and getting a family member to do some MCing--other than relieving a little stress and responsibly.

No wonder the word Wedding DJ has a stigma.

I am raising my prices today!

Last edited:
I think good customer service is VERY important, and nearly equal to mixing, not just pushing play.

A good DJ offers both, not one or the other!
I offer both, but prospects don't seem to know what beatmixing is in my area. They know it's happening when I do it but I don't know if they know what it is by seeing it listed on my website. They have a lot more experience with being a customer and knowing whether or not they're being treated well.

they know when you let them listen to a mix! That's my entire point.

Of course, they don't understand the art of DJing, mastering mixing, and what a DJ even is doing in their headphones-- but they know how it sound different than playing tracks back to back.

Reactions: Jas
...After this discussion, I can't wait to chat with my next inquiry. From here on out, I will absolutely be telling EVERY person that is interested to listen to other DJ mixes. I have done it every so often, but I am going to start using that line all the time...

[emoji1]... Hope that works out for ya.[emoji1]... I'm letting all the DJ's I know to find, download, and/or copy a nice professional mix and have it available for when a client asks to hear a mix.[emoji1]

Reactions: Jeff Romard
sure, go steal somebody's mix, and then get caught on the day of for false advertising, b/c you don't even mix.

Of course, most mixes for demonstration purposes have DJ drops.

sure, go steal somebody's mix, and then get caught on the day of for false advertising, b/c you don't even mix.

LMFAO[emoji1]!!!... Get caught by who??? The fruckin' MIX POLICE??? ... And what false advertising?... The potential client asks you to play a mix... You respond; "You wanna hear something like what I might play at your wedding"? The potential client says yes, so you play them a DJ Freddy mix![emoji1]

And as for the "drops", ever hear of audio editing software?[emoji1]

Maybe you should suggest to potential clients they ask for a video???[emoji1].... Nope, that won't work... All you need to do is take a video of yourself standing behind your booth dancing around and twisting a bunch of knobs, then over-dub the audio from a nice professional downloaded mix.[emoji1] Maybe you need to insist clients request a LIVE DEMO![emoji1]

Seems you really haven't thought this through.[emoji1]... I think I might start suggesting clients to give their DJ candidates an IQ test![emoji1]

Despite the technicalities a person that expects a clublike experience and a skillfully mixed set will in fact know the difference. Thankfully younger couples are expecting this more and more, and the djs who lack the skill will fade or stay stuck in a lower priced market.

DJ Bobcat-

I hope you are kidding, and not serious, but I get the feeling you are not. You sound so uneducated on how modern technology works and think people are stupid?

Audio software, lol!

And as I said earlier, I do offer live demos all the time.

Last edited:
DJ Bobcat-

I hope you are kidding, and not serious...

@jaswrx

Any idea what the little laughing emoji means???[emoji1]

If you've ever read any of my posts (or could comprehend what I posted[emoji1]), you'd know if I was serious.

... and if you go back and read my post, you find it says; "audio EDITING software... you know???... like Audacity, Adobe Audition 2.0, Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio, or any one of dozens of MODERN audio editing applications with which mixes can be altered and drops removed.[emoji1]

As for thinking people are stupid[emoji1]???...

wow, you are serious :)

It's A DJ FORUM!!![emoji1] How SERIOUS can it be?[emoji1] What kind of life altering revelations do you expect to find here?[emoji1]

DJ's PLAY OTHER PEOPLE'S MUSIC for the enjoyment of other people. If those other people enjoy what the DJ plays, then the DJ is a success![emoji1] End of story.[emoji1]

I find the last few pages of this rather interesting just observing the conversation and the contributors and the perspectives. I think it's also very indicative of where the market is and what it expects. The 3 major voices in support of mixing skills (beatmixing specifically) have been jaswrx and ross (from another thread), and myself... primarily wedding dj's aged between 30 and 40, attracting the young modern bride in the top segment of our own respective markets. The counter argument has come from dj's who appear to be generally older, attract a more diverse type of event base, and deal primarily with older more price conscious clients. I'm not gonna lie, everywhere I've gone the clients I've worked with are high energy, musically knowledgable, and club going type of clients with family's that love to party. My events are constantly focused on maximizing the dancetime and find myself attracting clients that need minimal motivation to party, as that is what they came to do. In this conversation, I've seen support for mixing skills, and counterpoints stating clients don't care or notice, but overall you have to consider who gets what type of clientele and why those statements are such. The arguments are based on our own limited opinions. I see high end weddings that have high energy crowds with certain demands and expectations... some of which most on here have clearly never experienced in recent years. Likewise I don't know much about older clients, who are more simplistic, and come from a time where there were different mixing styles... the oldest client that books me is the parent of a 16 yr old girl (38-48yrs old).

I guess in short for those trying to figure out where they want to be and who they want to appeal to, they have to respect what it is that these markets and clients expect or what appeals to them.

I HONESTLY tell clients that call me for small basic events or events with an older crowd like anniversary or 50yr bday parties, that at more than double the price, I offer no value over the $800 dj for an event that has minimal dancing and formalities, is more laidback etc, and that all the hype they heard about me will be more appreciated and noticeable at dance-focused events and ones that require energy and attention to detail such as a wedding or sweet 16 or prom. It's my polite way of saying no I'm not interested in your event.

I find the last few pages of this rather interesting just observing the conversation and the contributors and the perspectives. I think it's also very indicative of where the market is and what it expects. The 3 major voices in support of mixing skills (beatmixing specifically) have been jaswrx and ross (from another thread), and myself... primarily wedding dj's aged between 30 and 40, attracting the young modern bride in the top segment of our own respective markets. The counter argument has come from dj's who appear to be generally older, attract a more diverse type of event base, and deal primarily with older more price conscious clients. I'm not gonna lie, everywhere I've gone the clients I've worked with are high energy, musically knowledgable, and club going type of clients with family's that love to party. My events are constantly focused on maximizing the dancetime and find myself attracting clients that need minimal motivation to party, as that is what they came to do. In this conversation, I've seen support for mixing skills, and counterpoints stating clients don't care or notice, but overall you have to consider who gets what type of clientele and why those statements are such. The arguments are based on our own limited opinions. I see high end weddings that have high energy crowds with certain demands and expectations... some of which most on here have clearly never experienced in recent years. Likewise I don't know much about older clients, who are more simplistic, and come from a time where there were different mixing styles... the oldest client that books me is the parent of a 16 yr old girl (38-48yrs old).

I guess in short for those trying to figure out where they want to be and who they want to appeal to, they have to respect what it is that these markets and clients expect or what appeals to them.

I HONESTLY tell clients that call me for small basic events or events with an older crowd like anniversary or 50yr bday parties, that at more than double the price, I offer no value over the $800 dj for an event that has minimal dancing and formalities, is more laidback etc, and that all the hype they heard about me will be more appreciated and noticeable at dance-focused events and ones that require energy and attention to detail such as a wedding or sweet 16 or prom. It's my polite way of saying no I'm not interested in your event.

Good synopsis[emoji1]... maybe a little long for a SYNOPSIS.[emoji1] I think what you might have missed is that some of us older guys CAN beatmatch, we just don't see it as a necessity. I was messing with jaswrx just because he was... well ... he was what he said he was.[emoji1] But I can and do beatmatch when I play certain sets to appeal to the 16-29 year old crowd. I typically play for older or highly age diverse crowds, so I like to have shorter sets of tracks from similar genres and eras, in an attempt to give every generation a chance to hear their kind of music. Then I play something transitional to connect one set to another. What I DID say is I'm not averse to using ANY feature on my controller... including the sync button.[emoji1] Ask me if I care what another DJ thinks about that. As long as I have clients who enjoy what I do, and have a good time, I'll continue to DJ my way.[emoji4]

Most of the people I perform for are already impressed that an old dude like me DJ's, so I don't feel the need to impress anyone much more.[emoji1] I'd feel (and look) like a fool if I did some of the flailing around I've seen younger DJ's doing behind their booths, as they try to get their audiences excited. If I appear to be less energetic, it's only because I AM.[emoji1]

Last edited:

What exactly is it you feel is so complicated about mixing that you think only a select few have the God given talent? If you have the ability to hear, count, and an IQ over 10 you can likely learn in about a half hour the basics. With a little practice you could become as good as most out there.....It ain't Rocket surgery

What would you say to someone when they were looking into a DJ who actually mixes? How would you convince them to hire you over me? I'm serious--answer the question.

My answer would be that if they want beat-mixing, than I am not the DJ for their event.
People hire me because they have seen me play, or I am recommended by a friend.
Not ONE bride has EVER asked me if I can beat-mix.
My specialty is how I relate to people, and how I interact with the guests, on and off the mic.
I focus on an entertaining evening. You, apparently, focus on the music.
That's not a criticism, just an observation.

As for your question...I could ask the same question of you.
What would you say to a client who is not as concerned with "the flow" of the music?
Could you get on the mic, cruise around the room and entertain people for a few hours...
WITHOUT playing any music?
I have hosted tons of events, where I did nothing but talk.
So, how do I defend myself as a DJ who doesn't focus on beat-mixing?
Gee. I don't know. Seems to have worked out just fine for the PAST 30 YEARS!

Like I said, if you cannot mix, you are doing what "uncle bob" could do. TO say it is not required is your opinion.

And, comparing me to Uncle Bob...is just YOUR opinion.
I have plenty of clients who are quite happy with what I have done.

So, how do I defend myself as a DJ who doesn't focus on beat-mixing?
Gee. I don't know. Seems to have worked out just fine for the PAST 30 YEARS!

Bringing historic information into an internet debate based on feelings.....next thing you know, you will be blowing up Facebook posts with facts!!!!!

:laugh::cheers::laugh::cheers:

No offense... but who "doesn't like" beatmatching? Is there someone that has straight up said they want the songs to play out till the end and then have a gap or slowly fade in the other song? In fact I have had clients on numerous occasions ask if we beatmatch or "mix the songs so the beats dont stop", but no one ever request the opposite.

Beatmatching is not even meant to be noticed... Whats more noticeable is when guests have to stop every 2-3 minutes to give the dj the look of whats happening. Granted not EVERY moment calls for beatmatching... but during the actual dancing segments, its such a powerful tool to keep the momentum and energy going without and stops.

We all aim to get better at our craft... this right here is the best thing that a dj could possibly learn skill wise... cuz in reality what other skill are we really showcasing that no one else can do.

No one is going to request no beat matching. Beat matching done right and at the right time can really add to many events. However, for many events, the right song at the right time is just as important. If they don’t mix, I don’t mind. I've seen Djs make the mistake of not playing the right next song for that event simply because they believe EVERYTHING has to be mixed and believe everyone is listening for the mix. I believe when it's done right either way, people will barely notice. They'll just know they are having a great time

While I like to beatmix at times and recommend DJ's, learn how, one of my most requested Djs doesn't mix at all, yet people love having him Dj. That tells me it's just not that important to some people around here.

The beat-mixing is a non-dancing DJ's method of performing. If the DJ actually knew how to dance most all the steps from all the eras, they would realize that 20 - 30 minutes of music, all within 10 - 15 bpm of each other is boring for a diverse age group of dancers. It reminds me of the wedding bands that used to play 20 minute versions of Proud Mary featuring a solo from each member... perhaps the most boring stick in the eye for anyone who loves dancing different steps and styles.

Now, if the DJ catches a group groove on a particular style, a beat-mixed set is delicious icing on an already yummy cake. Beat-mixing, as a single method of musically entertaining dancers, only entertains other DJs.

Now skillfully blending, fading, harmonic mixing, sometimes even slamming, 80 bpm into 120 bpm tracks, doowoop into ghetto rap... that's real mobile DJ'ing !!!!

The beat-mixing is a non-dancing DJ's method of performing. If the DJ actually knew how to dance most all the steps from all the eras, they would realize that 20 - 30 minutes of music, all within 10 - 15 bpm of each other is boring for a diverse age group of dancers. It reminds me of the wedding bands that used to play 20 minute versions of Proud Mary featuring a solo from each member... perhaps the most boring stick in the eye for anyone who loves dancing different steps and styles.

Now, if the DJ catches a group groove on a particular style, a beat-mixed set is delicious icing on an already yummy cake. Beat-mixing, as a single method of musically entertaining dancers, only entertains other DJs.

Now skillfully blending, fading, harmonic mixing, sometimes even slamming, 80 bpm into 120 bpm tracks, doowoop into ghetto rap... that's real mobile DJ'ing !!!!

Savage burn!