A trend - Could be good or bad for DJs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Given the speaker was actually speaking into the podium mic, I can make a highly educated assumption that a feed off that chain would have surpassed whatever would be on a micro recorder. Mix and his partner still would need to connect the pocket recorder to a laptop, manage files, and start the replication process. I don't think it would have been tough to even use the same pocket recorder off the rec out on the mixer.

You're assumptions aren't going to be educated if you fail to account for who is speaking (amateur), who the audio engineer is (DJ), and what type of mic is being deployed (PG48?)

1.) We don't know the person at the podium was speaking "into the microphone" - they could just as easily have been off axis, too tall, too short, or leaning on and to one side of the podium. All we can hope to assume is that they are the loudest voice in the vicinity of the podium. This is where the VR is more reliable.

2.) You've elevated Mix to an A1 role and I don't think he has that skill set, or those tools (mics.) The VR is again more reliable in this situation.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
there is an assumption that every buyer wants the best. regardless of price. and will pay for that 'best'.

Sorry, the world doesn't work that way. Sure, SOME clients want the best SOME of the time, but rarely does everyone buy the best every time.

Just look at yourself. Been out to eat lately? Surely you go to the best place in town for every meal. What? You order pizza sometimes? mcDonalds maybe? Perhaps you used a coupon? Maybe you were influenced to eat someplace because of speed, price, convenience.

Same I'm sure for your clothing and shoes. And kitchen appliances and lawn mower, furniture, etc.

And some of what you own is 'best' for YOU, it's an opinion thing as opposed to hard science and fact.

MOST of our clients don't focus on the details. They hire us because they trust us to do the job ... well enough for the price paid. No matter how good an MC you are, there are better MC's. Or are you doing the oscars this year? LOL

Mix has some unique market, and if it's working for him, by whatever measure he's using, then fine.

I'm not a mic expert and am not using the best mics money can buy. At some point this is a business and it has to make a profit and spending more on microphones than on all the other gear COMBINED, just doesn't make economic sense - for what i'm selling (price/performance). If I was the sound for say, Bruno Mars then yeah, i'd need better gear - but I'd be getting a bigger paycheck to afford it.

it's all relative.

So as a vendor - are you offering a 'simple solution' or a great quality?

Both. These are not mutually exclusive.

"Complicated solutions" are a great way to drive business away. There will always be a higher demand for straight forward solutions and a smaller but niche demand for over-producing and over-spending. Neither one informs the other.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
Might as well show up with some Pyle Pro speakers and save yourself a lot of money since they won't notice the difference there either.
If what you say is true about them noticing then, yeah! That would be the smart choice.

You're assumptions aren't going to be educated if you fail to account for who is speaking (amateur), who the audio engineer is (DJ), and what type of mic is being deployed (PG48?)

1.) We don't know the person at the podium was speaking "into the microphone" - they could just as easily have been off axis, too tall, too short, or leaning on and to one side of the podium. All we can hope to assume is that they are the loudest voice in the vicinity of the podium. This is where the VR is more reliable.

2.) You've elevated Mix to an A1 role and I don't think he has that skill set, or those tools (mics.) The VR is again more reliable in this situation.
I'm all for simple solutions .. I'm also all for expediency when the task is outside my scope or not in contract. But the recording WAS THE ONLY THING Mix was generating money from, so I won't shy away from the "If you ain't going to do it properly, don't do it in the first place" mentality.

It isn't words of wisdom simply for Mix, others here also do the least common denominator thing and bitch when it isn't working out. It was for them as well ... :)

There you go again asking people to buy you things. Did someone buy all the speakers you have - so you could do a better job than with el cheapo speakers? You should have pride in what you do - and it should be for something greater than a 'simple solution'. ANYONE can provide a 'simple solution' - what makes you different that someone should actually hire you or buy things from you?
Let me please say this. The recording part is a thing we're not getting paid for. We don't charge a price for that service.

Yes I am asking for someone to buy me what they want me to have since I don't have the money to buy what they want me to have. I get that how we did things is not the way you would have done it. That's your choice. We picked to do it the way we did and again it was just fine. Actually worked better than I expected. Only issue is you must remember to change the batteries every time you use them for an event.

Let me please say this. The recording part is a thing we're not getting paid for. We don't charge a price for that service.

Yes I am asking for someone to buy me what they want me to have since I don't have the money to buy what they want me to have. I get that how we did things is not the way you would have done it. That's your choice. We picked to do it the way we did and again it was just fine. Actually worked better than I expected. Only issue is you must remember to change the batteries every time you use them for an event.
In your gig report on the event, you said you weren't getting paid to be there, only making money on selling the CDs .. ??

Reactions: ittigger
I'm all for simple solutions .. I'm also all for expediency when the task is outside my scope or not in contract. But the recording WAS THE ONLY THING Mix was generating money from, so I won't shy away from the "If you ain't going to do it properly, don't do it in the first place" mentality.

It isn't words of wisdom simply for Mix, others here also do the least common denominator thing and bitch when it isn't working out. It was for them as well ... :)

I don't agree that his method was improper. You're using the wrong ruler to measure this wisdom.
There are certainly more sophisticated ways to record speech. This event did not rise to that cause.

Had he been hired to do this and then spent 8 hours in post trying to remove noise from the recording - then sure, a different approach would have been prudent. But he wasn't hired - he volunteered and the recordings captured exactly what the speech and sound in the room were like.

No Steve you're wrong. I was getting paid to DJ the event. The recording was an extra I decided to see if they would allow us to do it. I decided on this because I was given that suggestion besides focusing on the DJ side.

The people who normally did it for them couldn't do it for one event. One guy was going to Florida for a visit and another had a job somewhere else.

So they agreed to let us do it and that's how we started doing it.

I don't agree that his method was improper. You're using the wrong ruler to measure this wisdom.
There are certainly more sophisticated ways to record speech. This event did not rise to that cause.

Had he been hired to do this and then spent 8 hours in post trying to remove noise from the recording - then sure, a different approach would have been prudent. But he wasn't hired - he volunteered and the recordings captured exactly what the speech and sound in the room were like.
I shall agree to disagree on the improperness.

No Steve you're wrong. I was getting paid to DJ the event. The recording was an extra I decided to see if they would allow us to do it. I decided on this because I was given that suggestion besides focusing on the DJ side.

The people who normally did it for them couldn't do it for one event. One guy was going to Florida for a visit and another had a job somewhere else.

So they agreed to let us do it and that's how we started doing it.
Again, professional is as professional does .. I would also give grief to someone who decided to test the uplighting option by using flashlights.

Both. These are not mutually exclusive.

"Complicated solutions" are a great way to drive business away. There will always be a higher demand for straight forward solutions and a smaller but niche demand for over-producing and over-spending. Neither one informs the other.
A simple solution from you to your customer is not the same thing as what they could easily and cheaply buy and do themselves (simple solution). I could easily find used walkmans to do what he does. I can also guarantee that won't provide any great quality and any more business.

You can hire people to come clean your floors - if Crew A is hired to maintain your floors (their simple solution) using professional products and equipment and dressed accordingly vs Crew B, using a mop and bucket (simple solution) from dollar tree and in worn out clothes .. which one would you refer and prefer?

If you were the owner of said company, what is the image you would want people to see, which has the potential to help you obtain more work?

Last edited:
Let's keep it simple. The event I did with my friend in Orange, NJ using the 2 Yorkville 801p subs, people on here said that was overkill and it wasn't. The assumption from some on here is that they were going to be cranked up to a crazy level. Doing that it wouldn't have sounded right. The bass would have been muddy and that's not what you want. Others suggested we should have used another setup. Some even suggested using the Bose L1. That's a nice speaker combination. In that room it would have sounded like a cheap boombox.

Anyway say what you will. I stand by what we did and what we used. End of story for me. You can keep arguing about this all you want.

Again, professional is as professional does .. I would also give grief to someone who decided to test the uplighting option by using flashlights.

He was not there in a professional capacity.
A battery powered LED uplight is just a glorified flashlight - most even have the same beam angle. :)