480Gb SSD on sale for $99.99

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

steve149

Shine on you crazy diamond
Staff member
Sep 26, 2011
Connecticut
On special at Rakuten.com (formerly Buy.com) .. coupon code SU650 .. Shipping is FREE

Adata Ultimate SU650 3D NAND SSD

The Ultimate SU650 solid state drive implements 3D NAND Flashand a high speed controller, offering capacities up to 480GB. It delivers read/write performance up to 520/450MB/s and greater reliability than 2D NAND SSDs. The SU650 features SLC caching and advanced error correction technologiesto ensure optimized data performance and integrity. For those who want to experience a clear PC upgrade, the SU650 is an excellent choice with a great cost-performance ratio.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/...are&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-hzMAE20K.sdopasRROQ25Q
11e5e7a25f54ab3a294fac.jpg

I picked up a 1TB SSD the other day for $100 locally good buy too

plus my other 40x 250GB SSD's I have on hand already

Reactions: ittigger
I picked up a 1TB SSD the other day for $100 locally good buy too

plus my other 40x 250GB SSD's I have on hand already
That's pretty dang cheap .. They are hovering between $200 and $250 here .. and that's on sale.

Yes, though I think the special is over.

Yeah, I figured the special was over.
But I want to switch my music HD's over to solid state at some point.
By the time I am ready, prices will probably by easier on my wallet.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Unless you have a personal need to do this, there is no rush - the music isn't going to load or play any faster on an SSD. The majority of drives sold presently are still platter drives. In addition, SSD's also have a life expectancy and will need to be replaced - SSD's can go bad just like their platter brethren. Where SSD's are better - video or gaming systems - where they need the faster throughput and processing. An SSD by itself, will not noticeably make your system faster, especially if you're not doing anything that is drive intensive on it. A faster system will be noticeably faster - (faster graphics processing, faster bus, faster processor, faster memory, etc). ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Yeah, I figured the special was over.
But I want to switch my music HD's over to solid state at some point.
By the time I am ready, prices will probably by easier on my wallet.
SSDs are still up there. I have a 1Tb and a 512GB SSD in my laptop. With Karaoke files, videos and music, I can't bring everything, so I still have 2 cloned 8Tb externals which have it all. That combo allows me to do 99% without the external. Hopefully wireless will become ubiquitous (it still isn't around here without resorting to cellular) and I'll stream or pull those outliers on the road.

Are your 8TB externals SSD's?
And if so, what did you pay for them?

I use a dual mp3 player which uses an external drive.

SSD's have a limited, but unknown, number of writes in them. They're great for implementations where you do a limited number of writes, but need fast reads... like system drives with infrequently updated O/S's. Windows systems aren't the best for SSD implementations because Microsoft (Windows) is constantly writing and rewriting on the system disk. If you're going to have an SSD as your Windows system disk, I strongly recommend you do frequent image backups, or make an identical SSD copy, because the SSD WILL fail.

SSD's make GREAT system drives for NAS's like mine, because you write the OS to the drive once, and maybe NEVER write to it again. Then add other drives for data.

Are your 8TB externals SSD's?
And if so, what did you pay for them?

I use a dual mp3 player which uses an external drive.
No .. they are standard 3.5" HDs in a case ... WD EasyStore

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
SSDs benefit is in speed, noise (none in most), and lower heat (so less cooling). That makes a difference in Operating System discs .. less of one in file discs.

SSDs benefit is in speed, noise (none in most), and lower heat (so less cooling). That makes a difference in Operating System discs .. less of one in file discs.

To add - if you're thinking of adding one to an older system, you may not see a benefit as there may be other things that are also limiting the machine's speed and performance capabilities.

I have seen a bit of a benefit with a SSHD Hybrid drive. I put a Seagate Firecuda (2Tb HD with Cache) in my desktop and it seems to be peppier than it was without the cache.

SSD's should be (and pretty much are now) the standard for any OS drive on a new build, but for data storage only there is still not enough of an advantage performance wise to overcome the price difference. 4TB WD Blue mechanicals are less than 100 bucks U.S now.