40th wedding anniversary

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Trueblue

New DJ
Mar 4, 2009
Hi all,

I don't suppose anyone has a playlist I can go by for a 40th Wedding anniversary. I'm in my late 20's and dreading playing at it as most of the music is way before my time.

Thanks

T.B

Hi all,

I don't suppose anyone has a playlist I can go by for a 40th Wedding anniversary. I'm in my late 20's and dreading playing at it as most of the music is way before my time.

Thanks

T.B

Definitely talk to the clients, how old are they, find out what music they like, see if you can find out what music if any they had at their wedding reception if they had one, did they do a first dance at their reception, what song did they use. What songs did they dance to while dating? They were married in 1969, see what the big songs of the time were. My guess is they are 57-65 years old, so they probably like 60's and 70's or they might like country music.

Let's not forget that while this is a 40th anniversary party that not everyone there is going to want music from 40-50 years ago.... so a good mix of the 50, 60, 70 and 80s would probably be the order of the day.... might not be much call for today's hits but you may get some requests....

You're best bet is to talk with your client... get a feel for the demographic of their guests.... they know them best... heck they've known them for better than 40 years.

Expect kids for sure.... so you may have to {gulp} break out the Hokey Pokey or the Chicken Dance....

Above all else have fun with this... it should be a cake event... and you may even get to eat your cake too.:sqlaugh:

Yes, I've had a chat with them already and they gave me a list of stuff they like so I suppose it's just a case of filling in the gaps and hoping it works

Thanks for the help guys and gals

T.B

Below is just a very small sampling. All are available on amazon.com.
Albums on amazon.com are a very good deal and a great way to build your library.
I recommend you go to Youtube and listen to the songs on this list.
Youtube will lead you to other great songs too.

Here's just a few suggestions:
Tom Jones-It's Not Unusual
Sam The Sham and the Pharohs-Wooly Bully
Village People-YMCA
Dion and the Belmonts-Runaround Sue
Barry Mann-Who Put The Bomp
The Coasters-Charlie Brown
Johnny Cash-Folsom Prison
Frank Sinatra-Come Fly With Me
Frank Sinatra-I've Got You Under My Skin
Dean Martin-Ain't That A Kick In The Head
Michael Buble'-Sway (remake of an old song done by many different artists including Dean Martin)
Louis Prima-Just a Gigalo (or the more recent version by David Lee Roth)
Georgia Sattelites-Keep Your Hands To Yourself
Jo Stafford or The Duprees-You Belong To Me
Heatwave-Always And Forever

Some Old Country Music
Alabama
Kenny Rogers
Paul Anka
Bobby Vinton
Reeling In The Years
I Wish I Was 18 Again
The Dance - Garth Brooks
Much To Young - Garth Brooks
Remember When - Alan Jackson
ABBA
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Blue Rodeo
Trooper
Stand By Me
Lady In Red
Unchained Melody
Swing The Mood - Jive Bunny
Amazed - Lone Star
Jeff Healey
Fleetwood Mac
Doobie Brothers
Queen
Meatloaf
How Do I Live
Darling
Stuck In The Middle

Late 20's, Im mid 30's, less than 10 years separate us. I still paly 40's big band, swing, jazz, 50's Rock and Roll, Doo Wop, Motown etc. Point is, you obviously have decided to become a DJ. You cannot use the " way before my time" excuse. The client could care less if you are taking their money. So its a good sign that you are seeking help.

I may sound redundant as I have said this many times. Even i f you hate a prticular Genre of Music, go find the radio station that plays nothing but that and listen to it for 1 week. the next week, listen to another station that you are unfamiliar with, and so on...
This is your "Homework" as a DJ. It keeps you sharp and updated.
Then you do searches on gig logs on forums like this and read the set lists. When you see particular sets of song, you knw automatically that it belongs to a particular genre. Take note of that and try mixing them at home. Then you get a feel of how these will work in given situations.

We really dont mind sharing set lists, this is just some advice to hone your skills and music knowledge. Being a DJ is fun, its also a lot of responsibilty.

It works the opposit way too. A lot more " Mature" ( ahemm... older) guys are forced into listening to todays Hip Hop that does nothing but make refernce to their Bitches and ho's and their shawty's. Do you think they enjoy it? Probably not, but they have to stay updated. So there!

I still ask stupid questions here and there, but the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont feel intimidated.

Good luck on the gig, take a dump before you leave the house, dont get wasted and have fun.

I'm 50 and I enjoy lots of different music including a lot of the contemporary music.

I wasn't always open to certain types of music but it was because I didn't understand it and I had VERY limited exposure to it. I'm talking about Rap and Hip Hop. I grew up in a white suburban environment during the 60s and 70s.

I was exposed to lots of different music by the radio and television growing up, rock, pop, motown, the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sonny and Cher etc. When punk rock music like Devo came out I rejected it just like I rejected Rap and Hip Hop a few years ago when I became aware of it.

Over time and as a result of more exposure, I changed my opinion of Punk Rock and of Rap and Hip Hop. Sometimes it just takes time and greater exposure to new kinds of music to be able appreciate it.

I didn't gain an appreciation for country music until I was in my mid thirties which was in the early to mid 1990s. I like and enjoy lots of different country songs and artists now.

I've noticed djrox likes to be sarcastic and he enjoys putting things and people down. I'd have to say he's the most negative and sarcastic person here at ODJT. IMO that's a symptom of an unhappy and possibly troubled person. It's sad. Bashing, complaining, being caustic and condescending and generally negative isn't what we need here IMO.

Lets help each other and support each others efforts rather than tear down and degrade. I've received lots of help, advice and suggestion here and I try to reciprocate.

Late 20's, Im mid 30's, less than 10 years separate us. I still paly 40's big band, swing, jazz, 50's Rock and Roll, Doo Wop, Motown etc. Point is, you obviously have decided to become a DJ. You cannot use the " way before my time" excuse. The client could care less if you are taking their money. So its a good sign that you are seeking help.

I may sound redundant as I have said this many times. Even i f you hate a prticular Genre of Music, go find the radio station that plays nothing but that and listen to it for 1 week. the next week, listen to another station that you are unfamiliar with, and so on...
This is your "Homework" as a DJ. It keeps you sharp and updated.
Then you do searches on gig logs on forums like this and read the set lists. When you see particular sets of song, you knw automatically that it belongs to a particular genre. Take note of that and try mixing them at home. Then you get a feel of how these will work in given situations.

We really dont mind sharing set lists, this is just some advice to hone your skills and music knowledge. Being a DJ is fun, its also a lot of responsibilty.

It works the opposit way too. A lot more " Mature" ( ahemm... older) guys are forced into listening to todays Hip Hop that does nothing but make refernce to their Bitches and ho's and their shawty's. Do you think they enjoy it? Probably not, but they have to stay updated. So there!

I still ask stupid questions here and there, but the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont feel intimidated.

Good luck on the gig, take a dump before you leave the house, dont get wasted and have fun.

lol.....POST OF THE MONTH! Especially the last sentence of advice...

ezee, I came here a year ago as a complete newbie asking for help and some folks helped me while others questioned my motives, accused me of some nasty things and gave me a hard time. What no one knew was what was in my heart and in my character and that I had made a serious commitment to becoming an entertainer.

I had to just read all that I could, go to Youtube and listen to lots of songs and pick what I liked and what I thought other people would like. It was a process and a metamorphosis. Some people have more natural ability and some folks have to work at it.

When I see a new person come here and ask for help I'm more prone to help them because of the experience and process I've gone through over the past year or so.

TB,
Almost any age would enjoy some:
Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Tony Bennett
As well as some Big Band and older Jazz. These choices work best for cocktail and dinner music.

Perform a search here and look for "play lists", "dinner music". etc. Scan through the Music and Wedding forum, you should find some great play lists as many here are always and freely posting their show play lists.

ezee, I came here a year ago as a complete newbie asking for help and some folks helped me while others questioned my motives, accused me of some nasty things and gave me a hard time. What no one knew was what was in my heart and in my character and that I had made a serious commitment to becoming an entertainer.

I had to just read all that I could, go to Youtube and listen to lots of songs and pick what I liked and what I thought other people would like. It was a process and a metamorphosis. Some people have more natural ability and some folks have to work at it.

When I see a new person come here and ask for help I'm more prone to help them because of the experience and process I've gone through over the past year or so.

I hear ya Wiz- Thats why I never slam anyone, rather I try to share info on how to better ones self. Im in the same boat as you. Although Ive been DJing on and off since the early 90's , most of it was as a Roadie and when I did play music, it was mostly just 1 genre. Plus most of them were college parties. I have done a lot of gigs, weddings and formals included, as the guy that family knew as " someone that can dj". So as part of the family, I was cut a lot of slack. So when I jumped into this as a serious endevor, boy was I in for a shock.
Forums have definitely helped me lot get going in the right direction.

I just threw in the Pic and comment as the mood was getting a little too serious, no offense meant:sqwink:

None taken at all ezee.

I was just trying to explain my background and how I was like Trueblue in a way because there were eras and genres of music that I wasn't familiar with at times and how I became comfortable with them and knowledgeable. I think if he's exposed to music from way before he was born he'll find lots of it that he likes that other people will like at an event.

When I came here someone made a comment about songs that pack the dance floor and I asked about it. My question at the time was, "what songs do you play that pack the dance floor?" in response to his comment.

Rather than give me a few examples and some ideas, I was attacked, interrogated and given no answer. I was new to the board so the experienced guys felt that they could haze the newbie and lord over someone. It's an ego thing and IMO it's ugly and rude. It still goes on here and at other boards too.

not to bash anyone but seriously shouldn't you do your homework before you say yes to a gig? I know we all had(have) to learn one way or the other.

There's no ego here, making sure you don't get in trouble in the future, by just saying yes because of the money. If you're going to take special occasions like that (weddings, anniversaries, etc...) you have to get a good working knowledge of your music and carry a wide variety of it, even if you don't like a genre, you're getting paid to satisfy the ears and feet, of your client(s) and guests.

Other than that, make sure you have oldies(60's), 70's Disco, Funk, Classic Rock, 80' popular music, also some country. Easy listening is a must Frank Sinatra and other artists of the era.

The thing is we really don't know much about this guy. The fact that he was experiencing anxiety about the event shows that he does care about it on some level.

How do we know how he came to get this event? We don't. It could be a favor for a friend, it could be for a family member or someone in his church. Who knows?

All the guy did was come to a DJ board and ask for some help about some DJ stuff. If people don't want to help or to get involved then click to the next thread. If you want to toss him a few songs to give him an idea of where to start then do so. You don't have to supply him a whole playlist for the entire evening.

Let's cut people a little slack, jeez . . .