2Tb WD Passport External Drive USB 3.0 - Metal Finish Case - $58

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Thanks for posting. I ordered one. I get sale info emails from Best Buy, but hardly ever read them. Usually stuff I don't want or don't need.[emoji1]

I have a similar 2TB case, and just a few days ago I was changing out the disk drive, and noticed a button on the edge of the case I'd never noticed before. So I pressed it and nothing happened. So I pressed it again harder, and this time something happened... the power LED fell out.[emoji1] The reason I never noticed it before was because it's illuminated when the drive is plugged in, but it just looked like a button when it was off. Had to take the whole case apart to fix it.[emoji1] Anyway... I can always use another one, especially at this price.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Now it's showing SOLD OUT

Now it's showing SOLD OUT

When I placed the order for mine, it said it would be available to pick up in my local store on July 14.[emoji4] I'm in no rush. The little carrying case I added to the order has already shipped. Got an email with the Tracking Number. Guess I'll have a case without a USB drive for a few days.[emoji4]

When I placed the order for mine, it said it would be available to pick up in my local store on July 14.[emoji4] I'm in no rush. The little carrying case I added to the order has already shipped. Got an email with the Tracking Number. Guess I'll have a case without a USB drive for a few days.[emoji4]

Now it's showing my Passport as backordered. It wasn't supposed to be available for store pickup until Friday, but that's looking a little iffy now.☹️ I guess we'll see. Good thing I was not in a hurry to get one of these.[emoji4]

I checked the link and it said sold out. There is a notify button to click on to for when it becomes available again. Super great deal if you can get one. I already have 2. If I didn't I would buy 2 at that price. One for backup.

Now it's showing my Passport as backordered. It wasn't supposed to be available for store pickup until Friday, but that's looking a little iffy now.☹️ I guess we'll see. Good thing I was not in a hurry to get one of these.[emoji4]

Still showing backordered on my order. It was supposed to be available for store pickup yesterday... didn't happen.[emoji4]The FireCuda drives I ordered DID come in. That will allow me to rebuild the computer I've been planning to rebuild.[emoji4] Always like to have a couple of projects going at the same time so I can work on one while awaiting parts for others.[emoji4]

Just be aware that this drive is known to have issues with USB 2.

----------------------------
The USB hub doesn't always work when the drive is connected to a USB 2.0 port.
Things work smoothly as long as you're connecting the drive to a USB 3.0 port on your computer. When connected to USB 2.0, however, sometimes my computer wouldn't recognize what was connected to one of the Backup Plus Hub's two USB ports, through the drive itself worked fine.

It's not a huge deal, since most newer computers have at least a few USB 3.0 ports, but if you have mostly USB 2.0 ports on your system this will get annoying, fast.

Reactions: Cap Capello
All USB 3.0; office computer and laptops. Thanks for the awareness tip

H-O-L-Y crap!!! You're getting one of those?... 8TB??? Thassalotta bytes
Yes it is however I've got 1tb and 2tb externals all over the place. I'm going to have one large external to house a backup of all my music videos (2.8tb), all my karaoke files (400gb), and all my movies (3.1tb) in one spot. The smaller sized drives will become a backup to the backup however the frequency of updates will be far less frequent.

Anyone looking for inexpensive 1tb and 2tb external drives in metal enclosures (all have wall wart power, all are USB 2.0 or Firewire A), sale coming SOON!

I hope the Toshiba Slims come out with a 4tb bus powered too. This one is strictly for desktop application.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Still no word from Best Buy that I can pick up my 2TB WD Passport. I think I went through this with Best Buy on a previous purchase of a sale item, and eventually they just cancelled my order. We'll see if that happens again. Unfortunately, I bought the little case that goes with it, and it came directly to my house about 2 weeks ago. It's a nice little case, but if they cancel my order, I think I'll just take it to the store and get a refund. This is why I don't buy much from Best Buy, though. Unfortunately, in OKC, the only real competitor they have left is Walmart. And I hate going to Walmart even more than going to Best Buy. I buy a lot of my computer cables and stuff like that from Staples, but they don't have the audio components that Best Buy has.

Speaking of cables; I needed a longer XLR patch cable, so I ordered a 2 footer from Amazon. What a piece of crap![emoji4] It's really cheaply made, and even though it works, I'm not sure I trust it enough to use it inside the small rack case I'm wiring up. I should have ordered (a good) one from Markertek. Guess that's what I'll do today. There's no place local to buy a short XLR cable.[emoji37]

Last edited:
Arrived today. USB 3.0 is really faster than I remembered. 6 hours to transfer 2tb of videos.

So now I have 5 USB 2.0 2tb (single drive) enclosures, 4 USB 2.0 2tb (double 1 tb drives configurable RAID or LARGE) enclosures that can be purchased on the cheap. Make me an offer, but figure $17 shipping for each. They are old skool beasts.