15 Jobs that will Disappear over the next 19 years

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Not remotely .. autonomously (from inside the vehicle). A vehicle that travels the same routes can have multiple fail-safes in case they lose GPS .. dead reckoning, cellular reckoning and WiFi reckoning. These are being looked at for autonomous vehicles as well as autonomous drones for tamper-resistance.

Autonomous, remote... whatever???[emoji1] My point is, it will be hacked, and hackers generally don’t hack in order to do good deeds. All it would take is a bogus map downloaded. While GPS signals come from satellites, they depend on maps that come from the Internet. Maps change frequently, and are therefore downloaded to the GPS device frequently. All a hacker needs to do is download a slightly altered map.

Reactions: ittigger
The one thing about self Driving Trucks that many companies will gravitate towards is that it has been tough for many trucking companies to staff the last few years. There is certainly a shortage of long haul truck drivers in many parts of the country. So many people don't want to do the job. It's long hours, lots of traveling. Away time from family, and companies have pretty much put a cap on how much truck drivers can earn at this point. 49 to 52 cents a mile seems to be advertised a lot where I live...Considering DOT restriction of I believe 660 miles a day max with what a driver can drive...at 52 cents a mile pay that is $343.20 assuming they can drive 660 miles in one day. Overall, potential to earn $60,000 to $80,000 a year or so isn't bad for the job, but being out on the road and away from family is the biggest draw back with the profession. Plus...driving a big rig all the time in high traffic situations, and dealing with jackass drivers out on the road all over the country I am sure can be exhausting at times.

I can see where many companies will move to automation, BUT there are going to be caveats to it. All it takes is a major error, and catastrophic accident to get the populous riled up and wanting to ban the practice. Major law suits will happen. ...I just think it's going to be a LONG time before we get to the point that 50%+ of the trucks on the road are automated.

Also, with the cost of the technology, if they are still going to have a person on the truck...Where is the money advantage for the companies? ...Will they be able to employ people for less compensation as truck drivers, and over time they will see the value in it?

Truck drivers use to be good at there job. But company's replaced experienced seasoned drivers for new un experienced drivers for much less money. Now they will give a license to anyone. They wanted cheaper drivers with no experience so they could take advantage of new drivers.

If no one is onboard, then everything can be locked up tight. Hijacking typically requires a vehicle to be stopped .. somewhere. If it's only at rest at hubs, the probability goes low.

Why would it have to stop?
If you can invent an autonomous truck I'm sure I can find a way to autonomously unload it en route. :)

Why would it have to stop?
If you can invent an autonomous truck I'm sure I can find a way to autonomously unload it en route. :)
And you couldn't do that with a driver .. why?

Autonomous, remote... whatever???[emoji1] My point is, it will be hacked, and hackers generally don’t hack in order to do good deeds. All it would take is a bogus map downloaded. While GPS signals come from satellites, they depend on maps that come from the Internet. Maps change frequently, and are therefore downloaded to the GPS device frequently. All a hacker needs to do is download a slightly altered map.
OK .. same with the one with a driver. Send him to YOUR place instead.

OK .. same with the one with a driver. Send him to YOUR place instead.

True... That’s already happened... Difference is, you have to find a driver who’s willing to kill himself along with as many passengers as he can possibly kill. While there seem to be SOME of those kind of drivers, fortunately there’s not an abundance.[emoji4]

True... That’s already happened... Difference is, you have to find a driver who’s willing to kill himself along with as many passengers as he can possibly kill. While there seem to be SOME of those kind of drivers, fortunately there’s not an abundance.[emoji4]
Can still steer them to a "wrong" terminal if you hack THEIR GPS. Just saying the issues being pointed out for autonomous systems are also there for driver based systems, but are more easily solved without a human ... maybe not today, but not that far away.

We will still need service people to work on the equipment, program the equipment, retrieve broken down equipment, and to monitor the equipment.

Wow, you guys are really dissing truck drivers. Hopefully there aren’t any professional truck drivers here. I find trucks on the road aren’t anything I worry about it’s the cars. Only except which makes me scratch my head is occasionally they hit the low overpass on parkways near me. I don’t understand one even if you are using the wrong type of Gps how the hell cant you see the overpass is too low. I’ve slow down at couple and checked the height and I am in a van. Now cars are a totally different story, I see one bonehead move after another. I just got in from Westchester about a hour away and passed at least 5 Multicar accidents, no trucks. So when you say trucks are a issue I definitely don’t see that and I am all up & I95 from MD to MA.
Now where autonomous vehicles & machines will find increased usage is where people aren’t. In warehouses & factories you will see even more usage. The space program as most spacecraft already have to perform autonomously due to signal delay sending instructions. As they plan large construction projects they would like to most likely want use autonomous machines if they can perform the complex tasks.
Now while we discuss all of this. Think about this. We do have some subway systems that run without driver on closed loop. So the technology to run autonomously has been for years. Yet regular trains especially long haul ones could conceivably run autonomously but they don’t. Main reason safety. Trains are always monitored, tracked and really only have to deal with crossings or occasionally something on the tracks. Actually they are putting in additional monitoring but no plans drop the engineers. Sometimes it’s safety which will be the deciding factor when dealing with the public. Actually the same goes for ships they could be automated right now. But they have a pilot at the control. Even though there are some collisions between ships which amazes me considering they have radar & gps. But there are no plans to remove the pilot & navigating crew.
One pivotal moment will be if Elon musk decides to send those two paid passengers around the moon in a totally autonomous spacecraft with no input from the occupants on something other than a free return trajectory.

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
I have had a CDL for over 40 years and I have logged well over a million miles behind the wheel. I have seen just about everything you can imagine.
There use to be a lot of independent drivers that owned there own truck, but sadly that changed when corporations stopped using privet operators for cheap fleet drivers with zero experience and no incentive to take care of equipment. Corporate drivers don't own there trucks so for them it's just a pay check.
As for autonomous trucks or cars, the unknown situations that constantly show up such as weather and the unexpected obstacles that happen all day every day. How agree do you think people will get when a truck or car malfunctions and stopped traffic in the middle of the freeway because a plastic bag blew across the roadway and the computer can't deal with it. There will never be an autonomous car or truck that can deal with everyday issues. Autonomous vehicles can't do what a human can do in every situation. There are many applications where autonomously operated equipment can be used because there little chance for something to go wrong. There is no way an autonomous truck could deal with a construction job site where nothing is predictable. A computer could never deal with a wet muddy job site where human judgment can.
Can a robot deal with taking a custom food order at McD's? People would get pissed trying to deal with a robot.

Predicting the future is only a prediction. 30 years ago when I started college they said welding and data entry would be phased out soon. Those jobs still exist today. It's just hard to be certain where technology will take us in the next 20 years. Maybe we'll have robot attorneys, prison guards and doctors some day too.

This video seems to be geared toward scaring people into clicking it. I'd rather see a video on what jobs will be abundant and lucrative in the near future.

I think it's a mistake to believe a self driving truck can't surpass the capability of a human truck driver. We already know that's not true. The question is really one of what kind of world do you want to live in and what takes priority - technology or human beings? "Work" is not simply something we can dispense with. Sipping tea while we discuss art and philosophy in a world where machines do everything else is not a furture I want, and I suspect there are a lot of other people who enjoy their life's work regardless of whether it can be done by a machine or AI.

In addition to dehumanization AI and automation have other implications. Consider what road rage looks like when the frustrated perpetrator knows it's only a machine and not a real person. What might happen when the distance or link between machine and humans is not so obvious? We all pride ourselves on how badly we can treat telemarketers - but do we really know the situation and intention of each person on the other side of that device?

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are really dissing truck drivers.

I haven't dissed truck drivers - I know many of them and I know that without them, we wouldn't have nothing at the stores. That said, many trucking companies are looking to make more money and have less expenses - the drivers also talk about this. If a computer can drive 24/7 but my person can only drive 10 hours a day, that's more money.

I think it's a mistake to believe a self driving truck can't surpass the capability of a human truck driver. We already know that's not true. The question is really one of what kind of world do you want to live in and what takes priority - technology or human beings? "Work" is not simply something we can dispense with. Sipping tea while we discuss art and philosophy in a world where machines do everything else is not a furture I want, and I suspect there are a lot of other people who enjoy their life's work regardless of whether it can be done by a machine or AI.

When you consider the violencethat occurs in our society it is largely perpetrated by people at the most dysfunctional state of their lives - such as out of work or under employed, financially constrained, loss of family, marriage, etc. Meaningful work and a sense of contribution is the best cure for anti-social behavior.

It may not be a world you want - but it is a world that some want. Robots are already going into battle zones - and they have much more accuracy than any person could dream of. You're also taking it to the extreme and labeling it as machines do everything while all humans sit on our duffs. Is that possible, sure. Will you see it in your lifetime? Nope.

Used properly, automation is here to assist us in doing more and better.

Wow, you guys are really dissing truck drivers. Hopefully there aren’t any professional truck drivers here. I find trucks on the road aren’t anything I worry about it’s the cars. Only except which makes me scratch my head is occasionally they hit the low overpass on parkways near me. I don’t understand one even if you are using the wrong type of Gps how the hell cant you see the overpass is too low. I’ve slow down at couple and checked the height and I am in a van. Now cars are a totally different story, I see one bonehead move after another. I just got in from Westchester about a hour away and passed at least 5 Multicar accidents, no trucks. So when you say trucks are a issue I definitely don’t see that and I am all up & I95 from MD to MA.
Now where autonomous vehicles & machines will find increased usage is where people aren’t. In warehouses & factories you will see even more usage. The space program as most spacecraft already have to perform autonomously due to signal delay sending instructions. As they plan large construction projects they would like to most likely want use autonomous machines if they can perform the complex tasks.
Now while we discuss all of this. Think about this. We do have some subway systems that run without driver on closed loop. So the technology to run autonomously has been for years. Yet regular trains especially long haul ones could conceivably run autonomously but they don’t. Main reason safety. Trains are always monitored, tracked and really only have to deal with crossings or occasionally something on the tracks. Actually they are putting in additional monitoring but no plans drop the engineers. Sometimes it’s safety which will be the deciding factor when dealing with the public. Actually the same goes for ships they could be automated right now. But they have a pilot at the control. Even though there are some collisions between ships which amazes me considering they have radar & gps. But there are no plans to remove the pilot & navigating crew.
One pivotal moment will be if Elon musk decides to send those two paid passengers around the moon in a totally autonomous spacecraft with no input from the occupants on something other than a free return trajectory.
No dissing .. simply playing out what is inevitable.

There will never be a human driver that can deal with EVERY everyday issue either. Autonomous vehicles can deal with far more than you're giving them credit for. Most of the accidents they have had have been induced by humans.

I only mentioned trucks as their routes are very structured. Those are easier to generate multiple options from.

I can’t remember where I heard It. But someone once said “just because you can do something doesn’t mean did you should”

Of course you haven’t given me the reason why all trains and all ships are not autonomous now or planned in the near future since that Technology is here already. My answer was safety.

Most are for automation in the correct sensible locations.

But play on.

Last edited:
Lots of local trains are autonomous. There's a bus in Baltimore that is autonomous. Planes are autonomous (except for landing and taking off). I don't think anyone wants automation just to have it - they want it to be sensible too. Amazon wants autonomous delivery.